• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018

1 hour ago, canderson said:

We'll get a summer - it's a spring we likely won't get. After this weekend's brief warmup the rest of April and early May looks downright chilly. Watch it go straight to the mid 80s + humid after that period.

Wouldnt be surprised-that's exactly what happened in 2015 and 2016. In the case of 2015 it happened in early-May, while in 2016 it was the last week of May

On 4/11/2018 at 8:49 AM, canderson said:

We'll get a summer - it's a spring we likely won't get. After this weekend's brief warmup the rest of April and early May looks downright chilly. Watch it go straight to the mid 80s + humid after that period.

Spring in the Mid-Atlantic no longer exists. Last year it was second winter until after Labor Day. 

11 hours ago, canderson said:

Going to be a 40 degreee high temp difference tomorrow lololol

What a crazy swing in temps from yesterday to this am !

I spent most of the day in the yard yesterday in what felt like mid summer, & now it feels like early winter.

CTP even added the chance of this heavy rain storm possibly mixing with snow showers at the end of the event !

What a crazy swing in temps from yesterday to this am !

I spent most of the day in the yard yesterday in what felt like mid summer, & now it feels like early winter.

CTP even added the chance of this heavy rain storm possibly mixing with snow showers at the end of the event !

Literally went summer to winter.

It’s like a ghost town outside compared to yesterday.

40F, 25 mph ENE wind and drizzle will do that.

Do any of you use RadarScope as an app? I bought it for my iPhone last night and was just curious what the best option is (IE Super-Res Reflectivity (tons of tilt options), Base Reflectivity, Precipitation Depiction or Composite Reflectivity)? 

I don't know much about the actual radar data so was curious what I should use as default. I chose NOAA's 20 Frames over WDT. I don't know what WDT means exactly ... 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

Do any of you use RadarScope as an app? I bought it for my iPhone last night and was just curious what the best option is (IE Super-Res Reflectivity (tons of tilt options), Base Reflectivity, Precipitation Depiction or Composite Reflectivity)? 

I don't know much about the actual radar data so was curious what I should use as default. I chose NOAA's 20 Frames over WDT. I don't know what WDT means exactly ... 

I use it quite frequently, especially for the dual-pol observations. For reflectivity, I use the super-res, because its basically the same resolution as the "raw" level-2 data; the other ones are processed further and are lower resolution. The composite reflectivity is the max return in height observed by the radar at given location (though areas closer to the radar only have limited coverage in height, so precipitation aloft may not be detected). I usually go with the lowest-level tilts because those will be most representative of what's happening at the ground. Of course if you are interested in looking at precipitation at higher levels above you, go for the higher tilts!

WDT is a company that provides the radar data over the internet. I think it can be faster if lots of people are looking at the data at the same time (e.g., during chase season or other high impact weather events).

Let me know if you have any other questions about radar. I happen to study radar meteorology here at Penn State.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Some snowflakes mixing in with the lingering rain here. Couple 511 cams just up the mountain on US 22 showing a coating on the ground. It was nice knowing the brief two days of early summer warmth haha. 

Does anyone think that the snow showers in WV, OH & IN will make it all the way through CTP, including the LSV tonight?

1 hour ago, heavy_wx said:

I use it quite frequently, especially for the dual-pol observations. For reflectivity, I use the super-res, because its basically the same resolution as the "raw" level-2 data; the other ones are processed further and are lower resolution. The composite reflectivity is the max return in height observed by the radar at given location (though areas closer to the radar only have limited coverage in height, so precipitation aloft may not be detected). I usually go with the lowest-level tilts because those will be most representative of what's happening at the ground. Of course if you are interested in looking at precipitation at higher levels above you, go for the higher tilts!

WDT is a company that provides the radar data over the internet. I think it can be faster if lots of people are looking at the data at the same time (e.g., during chase season or other high impact weather events).

Let me know if you have any other questions about radar. I happen to study radar meteorology here at Penn State.

Thank you! That clears it up. I’ll have more questions soon, it’s a powerful,feature-rich app. I bought it for storm tracking in Texas specifically lol.

14 hours ago, heavy_wx said:

16 hours ago, canderson said:

thx for sharing guys.  this is good stuff and something i've been pondering.  will need to check it out.  

happy wint...I mean spring.

Nut

• Haha 1