• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018

Bitter here in Hazleton yesterday with flurries with some steady snow coming later today/tomorrow...then 70 later this week...going to be fun week of weather swings.  Seem as though we get less and less spring/fall...and it's basically down to two seasons...Winter and Summer.  

I need to look at years past and see if this is more common than what we really feel.

1 hour ago, yardstick said:

Bitter here in Hazleton yesterday with flurries with some steady snow coming later today/tomorrow...then 70 later this week...going to be fun week of weather swings.  Seem as though we get less and less spring/fall...and it's basically down to two seasons...Winter and Summer.  

And sometimes we barely have a summer. I remember a couple years back where it seemed like it was almost always rainy/drizzly with temps barely making it to 65 or 70 on a lot of days.

It's snowing here in Carlisle right now as it has picked up over the last 15 minutes from flurries to steady light.  Radar looks fairly impressive.  I wonder if this will just keep right on going through tonight as temps slowly fall towards freezing.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised to pick up a coating by morning.  Temp right now is 38, but dew point is 23, so plenty of evaporational cooling potential still.

Been snowing steadily for most of the afternoon. Accums have been mostly relegated to heavily shaded spots, sheltered pines, and some cold elevated surfaces. Deck is just wet, but the glass table on the deck has 0.8" of snow on it. Probably would have been a 2-3" type event if it had been night-time. All of this on a SE wind too, in April.... Heck of a way to run spring. 

I slept in Sat morning so I saw some of the shaded leftovers of Fri Night's snowfall when I woke up late morning. That one was likely a 0.5-1" or so event. Was in Cambria County today (next county over from me) and there was still thick patches of snow and plow piles in parking lots in Ebensburg from whatever amount they had Sat morning. It was likely of the several inch variety. 

The remaining snow earlier did start accumulating on all non paved surfaces as dusk rolled in. Variable accums from 0.6" on the deck and grass to 1.6" on the glass table and probably on the trees as well. I'll call it about an inch on average. 

Yet another spring event with mid-winter rated snow crystals. This stuff is sparkling dendrites and aggregates. 

The interesting thing about yesterday's snow was that it snowed non-stop for nearly 12 hours, from 2:00pm to 1:00am this morning.  The heaviest rates occurred late afternoon when for a period of time it approached moderate intensity.  The tops of my cars had patchy accumulations of a few tenths and my board maybe had around 0.2" at one point, but melting was occurring throughout which pretty much precluded accumulations anywhere else including the lawn.  At times the flakes were great sizes, even during the mid-evening, but the intensity overall was lacking.

The past 6 weeks have been incredible with snow.  Just wish the whole thing could have been time-shifted back 4 to 5 weeks earlier.  Time to open arms up to spring for real by this weekend.

7 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I parked my Tahoe outside last night as i was working on a large project in my garage. The damn doors were frozen this morning. It looked like huge ice chunks frozen on my windshield too. I wasn't a happy camper this morning. 

All will be forgotten on Friday.  The 12z nam has us approaching 80 on Friday afternoon! 

2 hours ago, sauss06 said:

I parked my Tahoe outside last night as i was working on a large project in my garage. The damn doors were frozen this morning. It looked like huge ice chunks frozen on my windshield too. I wasn't a happy camper this morning. 

I went out this morning, turned the car on, then the wipers. Nothing moved. Everything was frozen. It was a great way to start a new day. 

I love winter. I crave snow. But i was pissed this morning when that happened. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Weedlover420gramz said:

Weekend aside, the forecast looks dreary and dreadful. Highs in the 40s and no sunshine to speak of. Will the pattern ever change at this point? Will we have to wait until June for any real warmth? 

The year without a summer, 21st century version. I know some of you would just love that...