• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018

11 hours ago, djr5001 said:

based on Harrisburg's "record" here are all days with reports of 2" or more of snowfall in April:

April 27/28, 1928 - 1.5"/0.9"

So 12 2" or more events in 129 years on record (x 30 days per April) = 0.31% chance for 2" or more to accumulate in an event on any day in April in Harrisburg!

That April 27/28th, 1928 event delivered around 18 inches of snow to State College and Altoona. Couldn't even imagine getting a storm like that so late.

5abd9eb5d81d6_ScreenShot2018-03-29at10_16_38PM.png.850d6987bae8b9159bc51dbf1a21cef4.png

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Surprised you don't remember it...it was a cold powder bomb. I want to say temps were in the mid 20s during the event...admittedly, it was a few years ago and the memory vault isn't quite as sharp as it used to be. :) We had significant drifting with the event, too. 

Yeah, i don't remember. I even ask my brother as we both played on several softball teams back then and he didn't recall it either. He was pretty nutty and would have been pissed missing games. 

10 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

That April 27/28th, 1928 event delivered around 18 inches of snow to State College and Altoona. Couldn't even imagine getting a storm like that so late.

5abd9eb5d81d6_ScreenShot2018-03-29at10_16_38PM.png.850d6987bae8b9159bc51dbf1a21cef4.png

That's amazing! Thinking about it, I doubt that snow was measured as precisely back then as it is now. I have to wonder if 18" was what was on the ground when the storm ended and the actual amount before compaction (you'd have to figure there was a good bit of that at the end of April) was significantly higher. 

The storm for Next weekend continues to look impressive on the models. There seems to be good agreement on a major storm moving out of the Midwest & heading toward the east coast. The models diverge on the final path, with some taking it south or north of us, & some in an ideal spot to give us an awesome April snowstorm. We need to stay tuned, but the ensembles keep ramping up snow amounts & the Op runs are getting in to better range. It’s just great to still be tracking snow this late in the game!

A08CE728-3CEA-4EAF-A9EF-69EF76DC0BF6.png

CE3B15C3-E02C-41D4-9C2B-A83E0D361574.png

ED1818F1-C9AC-455E-A39A-3279DD598DD9.png

EFA581D4-DCB0-4543-8A05-4B6C750A796E.png

3B723EE1-4504-4FFE-AD2E-D60DF925F3CD.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Back Friday. Just in time ;)

Before you doze off for the Spring and Summer slap a Central PA on the Spring 2018 thread title. Although it doesn't look like you'll be hibernating quite yet with the look of the pattern haha.

Even if it's brief we usually see our first warm stretch of the Spring in the first half of April but man there looks to be no such thing on the computer models. It didn't even look that wintry for most of February. 

32 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I was going to stay east for the next few weeks, but seeing this, I just may take another California turn. Leaving out on Tuesday, that would bring me back home around the 17th.

I could feel your hatred of snow during your recent video’s mini blizzard lol.

11 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Before you doze off for the Spring and Summer slap a Central PA on the Spring 2018 thread title. Although it doesn't look like you'll be hibernating quite yet with the look of the pattern haha.

Even if it's brief we usually see our first warm stretch of the Spring in the first half of April but man there looks to be no such thing on the computer models. It didn't even look that wintry for most of February. 

Will do Mag. Yeah I’m “tryin” to get away and let go but hey like some have said....if there’s snow....we track. 

Keep it up Blizz....your mojo is working. 

4 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

This is almost a joke up here anymore. It's fkin April and we still miss South.

that is funny sh!t.  Dont worry though north trend works well as we approach spring.  Climo says it wants to warm more than it does cold.  Havent looked really hard but NAO being on the way to + says it gonna climb (next weekend system)

Well it does seem models overall are a bit north today on the 12z suite. The meso models (NAM, RGEM, etc) certainly didn't fringe out UNV or IPT and are overall pretty robust on snow amounts. Looks like a quick and hard hitting type event. Timing is also good for accumulations as this event looks like a night one for a change.