• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
How much you got?

The Iceman

With the winter of 2017-2018 most likely done with that last event(though the pattern heading into April looks pretty good, it takes more than just a good pattern to get snow this late) I figured now would be a good time for everyone to post their season totals. Once I get enough responses, I will make a map(not a crappy one like my forecast maps, a legit one, it's what I have my bachelors in even though I don't use it at all) of the areas snow totals for this winter. I finished with 44.6" in Levittown, with a historic 21" coming in March(#1 in my lifetime since 1990-1991). This year is only .2" short of getting into the top 5 winters of my lifetime (95-96 75.6", 09-10 58.2", 02-03 50.6", 13-14 47.1" and 10-11 44.8" respectively). This winter was good enough for 6th though ahead of 14-15(43.1"). My lifetime average over 27 years is 28.2" which is a good deal higher than the 1980-2010 30 year average of 23.4" that is basically KTTN's as that's the closest station to me that has reputable data. I'm not surprised though as our above average years since 2000 have typically been much above average. Going forward, I am going to be using this average as my average snow since I feel it more accurately depicts an average good winter of late for here. If March Madness didn't occur this winter, I would have finished with 23.6" which was basically my old "average". However, with zero events greater than 6 inches, and only 4.5" total from Jan 15 to the end of feb, it did feel like a slightly below average winter which it would be with the new average. I also do not have a consistent 30 year record of Levittown snow totals until this time period.  My father started taking snowstorm measurements and keeping track of yearly snow totals here in 77-78 since he had to do it for a school project and ended up enjoying it so much that he did it for the next 20 years until I took over in 98-99(though he still keeps track in his old school notebook and kept the records while I was at college). However, there is a gap in his Levittown snow totals from 1981 to 1989 from when he went to college and moved out of his dads up until he bought his dads house(which I actually just bought from him a little over a year ago..). So because of that, I don't have enough data for an official 30 year average yet so a 27 year average will have to suffice for now and I'll just update it yearly until I get to 30 since it is actual IMBY data compared to a station ~8 miles NE. With all of that said, this was the 5th 40" or greater winter in the last 8 years here which is pretty remarkable. There has not been a stretch like this in SE PA since the 1960s. Despite the period of active snowfall, it really hasn't been a period of historic cold though. None of the past 8 winters have finished in the top 20 coldest using PHL data for the region. So enough rambling, how much did your backyard get this winter and what is your average?

Thanks Justin for starting this thread and pulling a map together!!

So for the season here in East Nantmeal in Chester County we are up to 55.7" of snow.

I have 35 seasons (of records for the County at >660 ft ASL) with a normal seasonal snow total of 36.4" (coffee table conversation worthy - this is more than Chicago IL averages). Four of the last five years have had above normal snowfall and 8 of the last 15 seasons....so I would guess we will be below normal next year to keep it average. Of interest I also have 90 years of data for the lower elevation (350 ft asl) spots of Chesco (Coatesville) from 1894 to 1983 and the average was 31.8"

Paul

The 1" on April 2nd moved this winter into 5th lifetime for me 45.6" and only 1.5" away from 4th(13-14), 5" away from 3rd(02-03). Pretty remarkable that had the saturday event came to fruition, I would have had a very real shot of making the 3rd snowiest winter since 1990.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, famartin said:

Parents and myself both just short of key thresholds...

Ewing 35.6" (just shy of 3 feet)

My house in NoVA 11.9" (just shy of 1 foot) :weep:

Ray I feel your pain! :weep::weep:. At this point I have no idea about next winter for here or there. I'd say you are due down that-a-way (fwiw). Here it wouldn't be surprising to me if we were above, below, or around normal. We've had 3 duds/semi-duds here this decade, which may fulfill our quota, but a 4th is not out of the question either. From a decadal averages perspective anyway. Like to see that weak El Nino later this year and right now the trend is good, but we're still cool/below neutral.

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Ray I feel your pain! :weep::weep:. At this point I have no idea about next winter for here or there. I'd say you are due down that-a-way (fwiw). Here it wouldn't be surprising to me if we were above, below, or around normal. We've had 3 duds/semi-duds here this decade, which may fulfill our quota, but a 4th is not out of the question either. From a decadal averages perspective anyway. Like to see that weak El Nino later this year and right now the trend is good, but we're still cool/below neutral.

Its hard to say we're due just barely two years after the biggest blizzard of my life, but I think we are definitely due if we get a third rotten winter in row down here.  For the last 20 years, the average here is 21" vs. 28" in Ewing, the northerly lattitude there definitely makes a difference, even though I still had my biggest blizzard here (bigger than the biggest on record there, in fact).  Thanks to the blizzard, we actually did better overall in 15-16 than Ewing, but the last two have been more normal for sure.  Though this winter was a little painful watching the storms pass just north again and again, I can't say I'm desperate... yet :lol:

Archived