Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018 banter

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

How'd that work out when you almost got stranded in the middle of the highway? :P

Yeah the 4 wheel drive only helped us so much. Luckily we got off the highway before that happened. Just crazy stuff. We are no stranger to snow in the Northeast but driving through the mountains with near zero visibility at night is a different ball game. Plenty of trees and power lines down and we passed a flipped over tanker.

Luckily sun is out now and roads are improving.

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I am ready for the warmer weather. Hoping next winter will be more traditional with cold/snow from mid December thru mid February until then bring on the heavy rains and severe weather which I hope we see plenty of this year.

Since Boxing Day in 2010, All our highest impact snowstorms have been during JFM. We even found a way to set records for November snowfall in 2012 and October 2011. But December snows haven't really stood out.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Since Boxing Day in 2010, All our highest impact snowstorms have been during JFM. We even found a way to set records for November snowfall in 2012 and October 2011. But December snows haven't really stood out.

I was talking this winter which was clearly more of a back loaded winter in IMO. I am not a huge fan of March snowstorms especially after the first 10 days of the month, give me cold/snow from mid December thru mid February and after that you can cut it off. Its always nice to go out in style with a good February blizzard around President's Day weekend.

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

The replacement for the GFS scheduled for next year is online now in test mode. 

http://data1.gfdl.noaa.gov/fvGFS/fvGFS_products.php?YMDH=2018032500&Region=CONUS&field=TMP2m

https://www.weather.gov/news/fv3

It seems that the gfs has almost become an afterthought to many...it seemed that way with our recent stormy pattern...hope they can improve it.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

there was a big December snow drought after the 1960's...the first foot snowstorm after the Dec. 1960 storm was the 2000 storm...40 years without a storm over 7.5"...no storms 7" or more between 1967 and 1989...no monthly snowfall above 10" between 1964 and 1994...I believe the 1970's averaged 1.7" in December for NYC...

57 minutes ago, uncle W said:

there was a big December snow drought after the 1960's...the first foot snowstorm after the Dec. 1960 storm was the 2000 storm...40 years without a storm over 7.5"...no storms 7" or more between 1967 and 1989...no monthly snowfall above 10" between 1964 and 1994...I believe the 1970's averaged 1.7" in December for NYC...

For the OKX forecast zones, January has been the best month for 12" or more snowstorms since the 09-10 winter.

12"or more  snowstorms for some portion of OKX forecast zones since 09-10

Oct....1

Nov....1

Dec....2

Jan.....9

Feb....7

Mar...6

8 hours ago, forkyfork said:

i would have gotten my FWD corolla out in like 10 seconds

I had one years ago too, very good in the snow. The best FWD car I ever drove in the snow was my moms 89 Chevy Corsica. I drove home from work in the 93 blizzard in that car with the snow in the street riding up the hood and onto the windshield and never lost grip. Tires make a huge difference on any car as well. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived