14 hours ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

The Hawaii volcano is really giving us all this crap weather 

...not sure if thats true or not but i was wondering if this will have any

effect on our summer weather..??

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/18/2018 at 9:44 AM, nycwinter said:

none the volcano is incapable of producing a explosion that can change the climate...

You’re not 100% so therefore you shouldn’t state something you’re not 100% of. The truth is ever since that volcano started erupting we’ve had crappy weather and we still do but it could be the volcano and southern stream giving us tropical moisture combined together. 

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Was May 13th the record for for the  smallest diurnal temperature range in NYC ? Can't remember any days lower than 2 degrees. Maybe Uncle has one?

https://mobile.twitter.com/burgwx/status/995841693659336705?p=v

I once had a 1° range on 12/20/2014...Actual high of 31.9 and low of 30.8 so rounded off, 32/31...I believe that's my only 1° spread.

49 minutes ago, doncat said:

I once had a 1° range on 12/20/2014...Actual high of 31.9 and low of 30.8 so rounded off, 32/31...I believe that's my only 1° spread.

I think the only 1 degree spread for NYC was 12-14-96...40/39. That must be the record with 5-13-18 in 2nd place.

Talking about diurnal temperature ranges, on this day in 1962 it was 99 for the hottest day ever in May, but the low may have been 57!.   If someone could check this and post what the definitive low was that day.  Thanks.   I just remember a fantastic temperature rise, which could have be 42 degrees in 15 hours or so.

The Rossby Wave Train prediction has shifted to AN by 1 or 2 degrees F, for JJA with Normal precip.  It had been showing Normal T's with a positive bias.

It makes June cooler and BN, but must have made JA much hotter to obtain that final positive result.  Could start last week of June at any rate.

These extreme precipitation events just keep coming in the 2010's.

Here's a bit of information about the rainfall at Wilmington today.pic.twitter.com/tJiqXHgeo9

Total rainfall rankings for the week of May 12-18, from South Florida, Carolinas to the Mid-Atlantic. This graphic from the Southeast Regional Climate Center, shows it was the wettest on record for numerous sites from Key West to Maryland, with many other sites in their top 10! pic.twitter.com/aN35i0Y3if

GEFS has AN 500mb. heights for the next 13 days, and the GEPS for its part has them all 16 days----having shifted the ridge farther east than the GEFS.

GOM looks active for the next 2-weeks, then shuts down for a month.  (EURO)

I know this is to be expected in Dallas, TX---but between the GEFS and HIRES Euro, the average high for the next 16 days is somewhere in the range of 99-102.   I suspect this is about +15.     Gee, out last 100 degree reading was in 2012, so we must be overdue.

EURO 15 degrees lower than the GFS for the period June 6-9.   GFS is in the mid 90's.    A period to watch I guess.    Remember we only have a 'sympathetic trough' in SE Canada to shoo away any SE Atlantic Ridging.   Which will win over the next 90 days?

On 5/29/2018 at 6:31 PM, bluewave said:

It's a good thing that the ISP 13" deluge in 2014 wasn't in a river flood plain with hilly terrain like MD.

Nearly 13 inches of rain in just three hours at this weather station in Catonsville, Md. wunderground.com/personal-weath… pic.twitter.com/ACW1RL1rM5

I lived in Cordova AK in the summer of 1989 and one day we got 11" of rain in just a few hours. The town is stuck to the side of mountains that go up over 3k feet and the ocean is the other boundary with some of the streets running straight down the hill and the main street running flat along a contour line. Besides the intense visuals during the deluge the sheer volume of water cascading down the streets was awesome! People strung ropes with harnesses across the intersections so you could strap in and cross the street. During the worst of the storm things pretty much ground to a halt in town but within minutes after people were back to their (almost) regular routines. Only a couple of cars were lost to the flash flooding but the ones that were got tumbled and rolled like kiddie toys. There was a lot less flooding damage than you'd expect because the water ran off and out of the way so quickly it didn't really enter too many buildings. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I lived in Cordova AK in the summer of 1989 and one day we got 11" of rain in just a few hours. The town is stuck to the side of mountains that go up over 3k feet and the ocean is the other boundary with some of the streets running straight down the hill and the main street running flat along a contour line. Besides the intense visuals during the deluge the sheer volume of water cascading down the streets was awesome! People strung ropes with harnesses across the intersections so you could strap in and cross the street. During the worst of the storm things pretty much ground to a halt in town but within minutes after people were back to their (almost) regular routines. Only a couple of cars were lost to the flash flooding but the ones that were got tumbled and rolled like kiddie toys. There was a lot less flooding damage than you'd expect because the water ran off and out of the way so quickly it didn't really enter too many buildings. 

The August 2011 deluge was my heaviest rainfall total. Long Beach picked up 10" of rain around 12 hours. Much of that fell over a shorter period of time. Almost everyone with a basement in Long Beach experienced flooding. Luckily, the terrain is flat with no river flood plain nearby. So no people, houses, or cars were swept away by rushing flood waters.

LB basement garage flooding. Notice the floating freezer behind the garage door windows.

81411fld2.jpg.1ab16c447c48cff589f1b7c59c535c43.jpg

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived