Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018 banter

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurricane Alberto near Cape Hatteras May 30 @960mb. ?  This thing taking longer to develop than when it first showed itself last week arriving here for Holiday.  Outputs have to be watched.

Gulf Stream breaks quickly northeast at Hatteras, so I think it will have to follow or dissipate.

sfcwind_mslp.conus.png

11 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Hurricane Alberto near Cape Hatteras May 30 @960mb. ?  This thing taking longer to develop than when it first showed itself last week arriving here for Holiday.  Outputs have to be watched.

Gulf Stream breaks quickly northeast at Hatteras, so I think it will have to follow or dissipate.

sfcwind_mslp.conus.png

We can definitely count on something at Day 16 shown on the GFS. Put the warnings up for the Outer Banks now.

48 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

i'll take yesterday over any snowstorm

No no no 16" of cold smoke fluff is so far superior to nearly 90* and humid followed by severe weather that knocks out the electricity for what will likely be 5 days there just isn't any comparison. Heck I'd even take a foot of mixed sleet and blue cement that I have to shovel with a garden spade over trees on power lines and no running water for days. Tell ya what though, if you want to bring by a 500 gallon pressurized water tank with a hose to run into my bathroom so I can flush for the next few days I might reconsider...

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Saw 11 inches in Maine in 2001, extremes have been around forever

But the magnitude and frequency of the extremes has been increasing. Islip had 1.08" of rain about 9 minutes during the 1000 year deluge in August 2014. Places in CT came close to the 10" per hour of snow during the February 2013 blizzard. No doubt those records will be surpassed somewhere around the region in the future. I would like to be close to the spots where they both occur if possible. 

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Because snow storms bring out all the kiddies. The best part of Summer in this place is that most of the weenies go into hibernation until September.

not true their have been many august hurricanes that can threaten the northeast coast..

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm not old, but my interest in snow storms dropped once I started working a real job and had to drive in it. 

My favorite part of snowstorms now is tracking it. 

I sometimes find the tracking more exciting as well, except for the real big ones.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I'm not old, but my interest in snow storms dropped once I started working a real job and had to drive in it. 

My favorite part of snowstorms now is tracking it. 

I love driving in hardcore heavy snow but most people around here are so bad at it that it scares me. I also don't enjoy the ice that inevitably comes with it on most roads in this area. 

I like snowstorms (between Jan-Feb only), but I absolutely HATE the cold. I could easily give up snow for milder/shorter winters and more thunderstorms.

I really only like our climate between the months of April and October, anything outside of that generally sucks.

51 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Driving in the snow is great in most cases. It's somehow relaxing and stimulating at the same time.

In theory I agree but in my experience its usually a diaster.  A couple inches acclumation with moderate snow falling creates epic traffic jams in all directions unless its the middle of the night.

Walking during/just after a fresh snowfall can be a relaxing atophmere, at least temporarily.

20 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

And challenging, in a good way. When the roads empty out and I'm one of the few vehicles out there I do truly enjoy it especially when there's at least a couple of inches on the road.

I have driven through big snowstorms and rainstorms. But the worst driving conditions  were the Jan 94 ice storm and Jan 86 flash freeze. Cars were sliding backwards downhill where the Meadowbrook goes over the Southern State on 1-28-86. My wipers kept freezing during the moderate freezing rain on 1-7-94. Had to begin braking well before the traffic lights to avoid sliding through the intersections. 

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

I have driven through big snowstorms and rainstorms. But the worst driving conditions  were the Jan 94 ice storm and Jan 86 flash freeze. Cars were sliding backwards downhill where the Meadowbrook goes over the Southern State on 1-28-86. My wipers kept freezing during the moderate freezing rain on 1-7-94. Had to begin braking well before the traffic lights to avoid sliding through the intersections. 

Yeah ice and freezing rain just plain sux but accumulating sleet can be interesting when the pavement is cold enough it doesn't ice over.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived