• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2018 banter

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It'll be fine, it's still early. There's plenty of warmth coming. 

Yes but we haven't had any cutoff lows to speak of. My ideal Spring weather is 4-5" rainstorms followed by 70's and sunny for a few days, then wash, rinse and repeat.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This Spring has been a dud so far with a lack of cutoffs and nice stretches of warm, dry weather. I feel like we've all moved to the Pacific Northwest.

Exactly how warm are you looking for? Averages this time of year are only about 56/34.

I'll admit this mornings 21 and these highs in the upper 30's and low 40's are beginning to wear on me, and I love winter.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Exactly how warm are you looking for? Averages this time of year are only about 56/34.

I'll admit this mornings 21 and these highs in the upper 30's and low 40's are beginning to wear on me, and I love winter.

Most days have been well below average and have featured snow. It's not that big of a deal because I live in a house, but for many the heat shuts off on April 15th.

12 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

This Spring has been a dud so far with a lack of cutoffs and nice stretches of warm, dry weather. I feel like we've all moved to the Pacific Northwest.

I'm glad we got that one significant april snow, usually we get one of those per decade or so.  It would have been historic if we could have gotten another one.

I don't think of "Spring" weather actually starting in our area until after April 15-20.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:35 PM, bluewave said:

That's why we generally do better here later in the season when the ocean is warmer. 

Very impressive to get 2 such high end events around the region on the same day. That was the only time for me in LB that I verified severe hail and wind with the same event. Just missed the tornado a little further to my north in Lynbrook. Probably the darkest sky right before the storm that I have ever seen during the afternoon.

Huge delays all the way to NYC with that Labor Day 1998 event.

Spring "severe" events are usually a nothing around here.  It's the most boring of the 4 seasons.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:21 PM, bluewave said:

My most impressive training heavy convection event was the 10 inches of rain in 12 hours during August 2011. Second place was 5 inches of rain in under 2 hrs in June 1995. 

Funny that the one in 2011 came after a historic heat wave in July 2011 that saw EWR reach 108 degrees and the one in June 1995 came before a historic stretch of heat and dry weather that saw widespread wildfires in our area in August 1995.  August could have gone totally rainless if it wasn't for that renegade band of showers that hit us on the night of the 31st.

9 hours ago, Paragon said:

Funny that the one in 2011 came after a historic heat wave in July 2011 that saw EWR reach 108 degrees and the one in June 1995 came before a historic stretch of heat and dry weather that saw widespread wildfires in our area in August 1995.  August could have gone totally rainless if it wasn't for that renegade band of showers that hit us on the night of the 31st.

2011 was an exceptional year for extreme precipitation. Newark set records for both snow and rain during a 33 day period by a significant margin.

33 days of snowfall at Newark

#1...1-27-11...61.5

#2...2-14-78...53.6

33 days of total rain at Newark

#1....23.09....9-8-11

#2....15.88....9-27-71

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Winter is the best season

No baseball for you? This great start by the Mets doesn't excite you? Why would you want to go right back to winter if you're a Mets fan? I don't get it. I love winter too, but it would be terrible to have it all year. There would be no growing season if it was winter all year long. There are great things about every season. Variety is important.

Edmonton is ready for spring after their longest streak with lows below freezing.

Tonight will be Edmonton's 167th consecutive day with the temperature falling below 0°C which will make this the longest stretch on record. Since Oct 29th, when we hit 0.0°, we haven't gone 24hrs without being below zero. The closest we've come is -0.2° on Dec 15th, 2017. twitter.com/YEG_Weather/st…

Great news for the interior crew.

Period of Record Expanded for Poughkeepsie NY

The climate data period of record for Poughkeepsie NY has been

expanded and now covers from 1931 to present with the most of the

missing data from January 1993 through July 2000 filled in.

The process used to complete this is referred to as "ThreadEx" which

is a joint project between the National Weather Service (NWS),

NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and

the Northeast Regional Climate Center (NRCC).

The climate database used to generate our climate reports for

Poughkeepsie has been updated. Also, the record temperature

(warmest/coldest) and record precipitation (wettest/driest) charts as

well as other tables that are available on-line at have been updated

too.

Poughkeepsie Climate Data Web Page

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Great news for the interior crew.

Period of Record Expanded for Poughkeepsie NY

The climate data period of record for Poughkeepsie NY has been

expanded and now covers from 1931 to present with the most of the

missing data from January 1993 through July 2000 filled in.

The process used to complete this is referred to as "ThreadEx" which

is a joint project between the National Weather Service (NWS),

NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) and

the Northeast Regional Climate Center (NRCC).

The climate database used to generate our climate reports for

Poughkeepsie has been updated. Also, the record temperature

(warmest/coldest) and record precipitation (wettest/driest) charts as

well as other tables that are available on-line at have been updated

too.

Poughkeepsie Climate Data Web Page

Nice find!

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived