SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2018 banter

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, L.I.Pete said:

I don’t post a lot to start with, but there are just fewer exciting weather events to track in the spring/summer. I come back on whenever there’s a significant t-storm, nor’easter, or tropical system to track, though.

I agree with this, while I am on here quite a bit all year round it seems the forums are most active from October thru March unless there is a significant/major weather event during the slower months i.e. April thru September.

13 hours ago, EasternLI said:

Can't speak for everyone, but I think it's just that folks have more time to post during winter months. I don't post much after winter because I hate spring and during summer I'm usually pretty busy. I'll still lurk in here though.

Agree with this.  Another point is that winter is a higher stakes game for amateur(and professional) forecasters than the other seasons   A forecast bust of .25" of liquid in a May rainstorm goes unnoticed by most people, but 3 or 4 extra inches of snow scares a whole lot of people.   The way we overreact to snow is a whole other story...

1 hour ago, Snowshack said:

Agree with this.  Another point is that winter is a higher stakes game for amateur(and professional) forecasters than the other seasons   A forecast bust of .25" of liquid in a May rainstorm goes unnoticed by most people, but 3 or 4 extra inches of snow scares a whole lot of people.   The way we overreact to snow is a whole other story...

Very true, but the more they freak out the more I make. During the past I’m sure snow was only cleared after a storm and only from places necessary. Now where I work a single flake of snow is cause for panic.

10 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

I agree with this, while I am on here quite a bit all year round it seems the forums are most active from October thru March unless there is a significant/major weather event during the slower months i.e. April thru September.

...me too.

I enjoy all seasons and what they bring..now that we are in to April i root for some true spring weather and  no

longer want snow/cold..come summer there is no better BEACH weather than the ole' BERMUDA HIGH or WAR..

interest is definitely perked when an impending heat wave is forecasted.

2 hours ago, tim said:

...me too.

I enjoy all seasons and what they bring..now that we are in to April i root for some true spring weather and  no

longer want snow/cold..come summer there is no better BEACH weather than the ole' BERMUDA HIGH or WAR..

interest is definitely perked when an impending heat wave is forecasted.

Heat sucks you sweat by doing nothing. I work during the summer and it blows taking the train and stuff. Summer is the worst season for me. Spring and fall are nice but winter is the best you sleep great and there's snow in the forecast

We still can get summer storms to track here whether it's a warm or cool summer. The most extreme summer event of the 2010's was the 1000 year ISP deluge in the relatively cool 2014 summer. But the hottest summer in 2010 produced the record NYC severe in September. 

36 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Spring is usually very boring and uneventful. April & May are probably the most boring months of the year. By then winter is done and it's too early for severe, tropics, and heat. 

This April so far is a bit more interesting than most. 

I agree. It’s very difficult to get severe weather along the coast in the spring. I have seen countless MCS look beautiful on radar and hit  a brick wall in New Jersey 

48 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I agree. It’s very difficult to get severe weather along the coast in the spring. I have seen countless MCS look beautiful on radar and hit  a brick wall in New Jersey 

With the exceptions like the Labor Day Derecho in 1998, summer into early fall warm frontal events tend to be more interesting for the South Shore. They often find a way to overperform expectations. While big MDT risk cold front events end up getting dampened out by morning cloud debris from the Midwest.

43 minutes ago, bluewave said:

With the exceptions like the Labor Day Derecho in 1998, summer into early fall warm frontal events tend to be more interesting for the South Shore. They often find a way to overperform expectations. While big MDT risk cold front events end up getting dampened out by morning cloud debris from the Midwest.

It’s  really the see breeze and amborse jet that kill incoming mcs. I’m sure you saw it many times living in Lb. Where a mcs looks great on radar and it has the fight the sea breeze

50 minutes ago, bluewave said:

98 had an east/west boundary overhead from the early morning syracuse derecho. i've found that to be a big player for svr here

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s  really the see breeze and amborse jet that kill incoming mcs. I’m sure you saw it many times living in Lb. Where a mcs looks great on radar and it has the fight the sea breeze

That's why we generally do better here later in the season when the ocean is warmer. 

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

98 had an east/west boundary overhead from the early morning syracuse derecho. i've found that to be a big player for svr here

Very impressive to get 2 such high end events around the region on the same day. That was the only time for me in LB that I verified severe hail and wind with the same event. Just missed the tornado a little further to my north in Lynbrook. Probably the darkest sky right before the storm that I have ever seen during the afternoon.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

That's why we generally do better here later in the season when the ocean is warmer. 

Very impressive to get 2 such high end events around the region on the same day. That was the only time for me in LB that I verified severe hail and wind with the same event. Just missed the tornado a little further to my north in Lynbrook. Probably the darkest sky right before the event that I have ever seen during the afternoon.

I hope we see some good bouts of heavy rain/severe weather around the region this spring/summer. 

15 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I hope we see some good bouts of heavy rain/severe weather around the region this spring/summer. 

At least for me on the South Shore, torrential downpours and flooding have been the most memorable parts of warm season convection last 10 to 20 years.The 2000's still haven't produced any severe wind and hail events for me that can even come close to the Labor Day Derecho in 1998.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

At least for me on the South Shore, the torrential downpours have been the most memorable parts of warm season convection recently.

In my area I actually seem to do the best heavy rain/severe wise when we have storms moving from SW to NE, I have had some good training/flood events on days like that.

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

At least for me on the South Shore, torrential downpours and flooding have been the most memorable parts of warm season convection last 10 to 20 years.The 2000's still haven't produced any severe wind and hail event for me that can even come close to the Labor Day Derecho in 1998.

The early morning heavy rain/severe event we had in late April last year was one of the best I had seen in quite a while. I had some very heavy rain here along with impressive lightning, thunder and winds.

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

The early morning heavy rain/severe event we had in late April last year was one of the best I had seen in quite a while. I had some very heavy rain here along with impressive lightning, thunder and winds.

My most impressive training heavy convection event was the 10 inches of rain in 12 hours during August 2011. Second place was 5 inches of rain in under 2 hrs in June 1995. 

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

My most impressive training heavy convection event was the 10 inches of rain in 12 hours during August 2011. Second place was 5 inches of rain in under 2 hrs in June 1995. 

August 2011 thru the 1st week in Sept was amazing for rain...had 25.50" at my station during that period.

1 minute ago, doncat said:

August 2011 thru the 1st week in Sept was amazing for rain...had 25.50" at my station during that period.

About the only rainfall record that I am yet to experience is an inch of rain in 5 or 10 minutes. 

I was lucky enough to experience the 2014 deluge, just think of a thudding, whiteout downpour, but for 3 hours straight. I had no idea that day would break the state record though. I wish I had a rain guage set up.

That event was preceded by the flooding in Detroit and Baltimore from the same system the day before.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

About the only rainfall record that I am yet to experience is an inch of rain in 5 or 10 minutes. 

I've seen that twice. In Cordova AK in July 89 we had an afternoon that we got 11" in just a few hours. Awesome was the word that I kept using.

1 hour ago, Cfa said:

I was lucky enough to experience the 2014 deluge, just think of a thudding, whiteout downpour, but for 3 hours straight. I had no idea that day would break the state record though. I wish I had a rain guage set up.

That event was preceded by the flooding in Detroit and Baltimore from the same system the day before.

September 99, Hurricane Floyd dumped an outrageous amount of water in a very short time. Fahnestock St Park Ranger station recorded 15" and a private station in Brewster (where I was) reported 14". I was driving home from work, tried to get out ahead of the worst of it by leaving early but didn't quite succeed, and at times couldn't see the hood much less past the end of it. 5mph was a stretch and a few times the car got blown/washed to the edge of the pavement. Scary trip and I love extreme events when I'm on the road.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived