SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2018 banter

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

GFS has this upcoming Saturday / Sunday event South of NYC while the CMC has it more North. Yes I know still 4 or 5 days out but ,,,,,,,,thoughts ? Edit here-----> Im not even mentioning Tuesday / Wednesday as that is still a week away

IMO, it's too soon to write off the weekend event. The pattern remains one that favors a lot of precipitation in the Middle Atlantic and southern New England areas.

17 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Thank you sir.  This is a great link.  Whoever says on this site that some of us tend to forget the little events is absolutely right.  I just added up the totals for my neck of the woods in SE Nassau, from Dec. 9th through today.  I did it quickly - will do it more carefully later - but I'm over 50".  So even without the twin 14" events on Jan 4 and Mar 22, I'd still be at about two feet.   I'm sure that areas east of me did even better.  We're not talking about it much but for the usual LI jackpot areas in central/northern suffolk, this has to be a top 5 season if we consider 93/94 the start of the new snow age, and top 3 if we consider 2000/2001 the start?  

Just added up mine - 76", just amazing. Great winter.

i know this comment belongs in the climate forum but all of these cold records happening this year makes me wonder if the incoming solar minimum is having an impact on global climate. But when you contradict that with (2) record warm February's in a row here in this area & all time record Feb high's, I don't know what to think.

18 hours ago, bluewave said:
The -1°F temperature at Lincoln, IL, is the most southerly sub-zero reading in the month of April for any station between western Kansas and eastern W. Virginia in the climate record. @NWSLincolnILpic.twitter.com/24LGwN2nw6
View photo ·    

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
1224 PM CDT MON APR 02 2018

...NEW MONTHLY RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET IN LINCOLN...

THE MORNING LOW TEMPERATURE OF -1 DEGREES IN LINCOLN IS THE FIRST
TIME A SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURE OCCURRED IN APRIL. IT BROKE THE MONTHLY
RECORD LOW OF 14 DEGREES...WHICH WAS SET ON APRIL 5 1920.

THIS IS ALSO THE LATEST IN THE SEASON THAT A SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURE
HAS OCCURRED. THE PREVIOUSLY LATEST DATE WAS ON MARCH 12 1948...
WHEN THE LOW WAS -2.

THE DAILY RECORD FOR APRIL 2ND WAS CRUSHED AS WELL. THE OLD RECORD
OF 20 DEGREES WAS SET IN 1961.

I expect that it can be extended for further eastern locations too- what does Lincoln, IL correspond to latitude-wise on the east coast?  To my knowledge I don't know of any below zero lows in April for any location at our latitude.  Even FOK's latest subzero temp was somewhere around March 20th I think?

7 hours ago, Fantom X said:

i know this comment belongs in the climate forum but all of these cold records happening this year makes me wonder if the incoming solar minimum is having an impact on global climate. But when you contradict that with (2) record warm February's in a row here in this area & all time record Feb high's, I don't know what to think.

Also makes me wonder what we have in store for next winter in terms of 1) el nino and 2) more strong NAO blocking

12 hours ago, Fantom X said:

It could be a combo of factors, the minimum, the La Nina, and the record SSW event that has produced this strong blocking pattern. 

However despite all that it hasn't been all that cold (we've had colder Marches the past few years) and like you said Feb was warm and record breaking. 

All I'm really seeing is more extreme pattern fluctuations with warmth being more dominant over longer periods. 

Good example could be mid-month. The EPS suggests a rapid turnaround from cold to 70s if not 80s. 

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

DUDE this is a nyc Forum read your posts earlier in mid Atlantic mocking nyc how it didn’t have any snow take your nonsense to mid atkantic or Philly. I think philly don nyc I’ll get clobbered here for Saturday night

Taking this to banter. All I said is I don’t see a result that results in both our sub forms winning. If you see a way way we’re both of our sub forms win that’s fine. No reason to be attacking. I may have mocked NYC in the mid Atlantic forum but in the post you quoted, I did not.

3 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

Taking this to banter. All I said is I don’t see a result that results in both our sub forms winning. If you see a way way we’re both of our sub forms win that’s fine. No reason to be attacking. I may have mocked NYC in the mid Atlantic forum but in the post you quoted, I did not.

Exactly my point you can't mock us directly. Regardless I think dc gets screwed here and this ends up north of them but I still think they can salvage a few inches. Philly 4-6 and NYC gets 6 inches. That's my best guess right now

Whoa: amount of atmospheric moisture near Bay Area could approach *all time* record high level on Sat w/incoming #PineappleExpress #AtmosphericRiver at exact time of year when it typically reaches *minimum* value. That's incredible!#CAwx #CAwater h/t @NWSBayArea pic.twitter.com/M3z6Xts2tD

Aberdeen's temperature at the National Weather Service office has officially fallen to -6 this morning. Not only is this a new record low for April 4th, it is also a new record low for the month of April. #sdwx

11 hours ago, psv88 said:

@ParagonI saw this after i said somewhere near Port Jeff had 75"+ lol. That area always cleans up

lol yea beautiful area too....that area is close to the Miller Place-Mt Sinai area you mentioned and also has a bit of elevation which probably enhances snowfall and is a few miles away from the Sound.  Looking at Ed's seasonal snowfall maps, Brookhaven is probably the furthest east you want to be to max out, once you get to Wading River or just east, annual snowfall averages seem to start dropping again.  I think we have a co-op in Mt Sinai, would love to see the snowfall records from there.

By Rossby Wave Theory, (5 day chunks-centered on....)  2mT:

AN>>> April  12, 17,  22 and 27[Normal]

BN>>>>May  02,  07, 12,  17,  22

The May, June, July period looks BN temperature wise with Normal precipitation.

1 minute ago, Cfa said:

It’d better not be BN.

Must be talking about an el nino evolution.  If it happens later, like 2002 then we could still have a hot summer.  But if it happens by, say, July, it could be more like 2006 or 2009.

Anthony's new home 

t wind around 30 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 26 to 32 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature rising to around 22 by 10pm. Wind chill values between -6 and 4. Windy, with a west southwest wind 26 to 33 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.
Friday
A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 29. Wind chill values between 5 and 13. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 15 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow, mainly after 11pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. Wind chill values between -4 and 6. South wind 17 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 25 to 31 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 47 to 52 mph increasing to 55 to 60 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 35 to 41 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 11. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 35 to 41 inches possible.

MT RAINIER

31 minutes ago, Animal said:

Weather Channel was talking a historic snowstorm for washington dc on saturday just yesterday.

Well if their definition of historic is making it into their top 10 storms of April 0.6 inches gets them to 10.

2.1 inches would get them to 5. Historic?, boy has that word been overused the past several days.

TWC also told everyone on Monday that the Yankees had not had an opening day at home snowed out since April 6, 1982. I guess their research team missed the April 7, 2003 opener that was snowed out.

That's 3 home openers snowed out in 36 years with 2 others played in the snow in 1996 & 2007. Hardly as rare as they kept depicting it to be.

11 hours ago, Animal said:

Weather Channel was talking a historic snowstorm for washington dc on saturday just yesterday.

A few inches of snow in DC in April would be historic. The cherry blossoms are nearing peak. Spring typically starts there in early March.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived