• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2018 banter

EURO Ensembles give NYC a total of an inch of snow between Apr. 5-12, then a trace as late as Apr. 20,21.    Coldest temps. are near Apr. 5,6,7.    Total precipitation for the 45-Day period is near Normal at near 5.5".   Temps. should be BN overall, especially if the BackDoorCF's plague the coastal areas as expected.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/26/2018 at 8:29 AM, gravitylover said:

The only FWD car I've had that was worth a squat in the snow was a Volvo C30. Overall I really dislike FWD and unless forced to will never buy another one.

I loved my FWD 2001 DeVille but it was totally worthless in the snow. Actually, a lot of fun in a death-tempting way. But worthless if you had anywhere important to go. I'd still love to get another one if the engines weren't so prone to crapping out.

20 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I loved my FWD 2001 DeVille but it was totally worthless in the snow. Actually, a lot of fun in a death-tempting way. But worthless if you had anywhere important to go. I'd still love to get another one if the engines weren't so prone to crapping out.

The Northstar V8 is what I'm assuming you had.  Not the best design.  However, GM did redeem themselves with the LS series engines.  I'd argue they are the best and most reliable V8's ever produced, although I still have a soft spot for the venerable Small Block Chevrolet.

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

The Northstar V8 is what I'm assuming you had.  Not the best design.  However, GM did redeem themselves with the LS series engines.  I'd argue they are the best and most reliable V8's ever produced, although I still have a soft spot for the venerable Small Block Chevrolet.

Yup. A joy when it worked properly, but lots of problems and points of failure because of the elaborate design.

The LC9 V8 in my second gen Avalanche needed a complete engine rebuild at 100k, but no more issues in the following 100k. The V6 in my 2002 Intrepid was a real trooper... no major work required through 250k when I got rid of it (and it's still a daily commuter for a friend). You could beat on that thing all day and it would come back asking for more.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Yup. A joy when it worked properly, but lots of problems and points of failure because of the elaborate design.

The LC9 V8 in my second gen Avalanche needed a complete engine rebuild at 100k, but no more issues in the following 100k. The V6 in my 2002 Intrepid was a real trooper... no major work required through 250k when I got rid of it (and it's still a daily commuter for a friend). You could beat on that thing all day and it would come back asking for more.

Yeah they over-engineered it IMO.  GM had better luck sticking with the "tried and true" pushrod V8.  In fact, the new LT engines are still based on this design from 70 years ago.  Of course, computers manage fuel and spark far more efficiently today.

Funny you mentioned an Avalanche.  My buddy's has 300k on the original engine.

this applies to the snow people here. days looking at model runs for something that usually lasts 12 hours. 

http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/is-being-a-fan-psychologically-unhealthy.html

Dr. Drew Ramsey, a Columbia professor of psychiatry and co-author of The Happiness Diet, believes that fan engagement tips into the danger area as it moves beyond idle interest. For example, he sees many patients whose marriages have been compromised by a partner’s zeal for NFL Sunday, which demands hours of television-watching each week. “I believe in leisure,” he says, “but we’ve sort of swapped out something that is supposed to be pleasurable and leisurely and replaced it with an intense involvement.”

20 minutes ago, Cyg12 said:

Same here. Bring on the thunderstorms, already.

I really don't mind snow in the Winter, but once April hits, I want those warm sunny days back.  I've always liked a little snow in April, but not after March was like 40 inches lol.

9 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Nah that's July or August, now we get cold and rainy followed by an immediate switch to summer

I remember the good ole days when April was a nice transition.

2 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I really don't mind snow in the Winter, but once April hits, I want those warm sunny days back.  I've always liked a little snow in April, but not after March was like 40 inches lol.

I remember the good ole days when April was a nice transition.

I'd be very surprised if we don't hit 90 in the next 6 weeks even if we end up below average overall

Hi all, I'm trying to determine the total snowfall for my town this season by looking back at old snowfall reports, basically the final one for each storm.  I went to the usual NWS snowfall totals link that shows on the main NWS Upton page during/after each storm.  It shows the past 50 reports, but that actually only takes us back to March 2nd.  Would anyone have any idea if the full list of snowfall reports going back to December is available via a link?  Thank you as always.

2 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Hi all, I'm trying to determine the total snowfall for my town this season by looking back at old snowfall reports, basically the final one for each storm.  I went to the usual NWS snowfall totals link that shows on the main NWS Upton page during/after each storm.  It shows the past 50 reports, but that actually only takes us back to March 2nd.  Would anyone have any idea if the full list of snowfall reports going back to December is available via a link?  Thank you as always.

seems like you'd have to use this

https://www.weather.gov/okx/stormevents

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

seems like you'd have to use this

https://www.weather.gov/okx/stormevents

Thank you sir.  This is a great link.  Whoever says on this site that some of us tend to forget the little events is absolutely right.  I just added up the totals for my neck of the woods in SE Nassau, from Dec. 9th through today.  I did it quickly - will do it more carefully later - but I'm over 50".  So even without the twin 14" events on Jan 4 and Mar 22, I'd still be at about two feet.   I'm sure that areas east of me did even better.  We're not talking about it much but for the usual LI jackpot areas in central/northern suffolk, this has to be a top 5 season if we consider 93/94 the start of the new snow age, and top 3 if we consider 2000/2001 the start?  

25 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Thank you sir.  This is a great link.  Whoever says on this site that some of us tend to forget the little events is absolutely right.  I just added up the totals for my neck of the woods in SE Nassau, from Dec. 9th through today.  I did it quickly - will do it more carefully later - but I'm over 50".  So even without the twin 14" events on Jan 4 and Mar 22, I'd still be at about two feet.   I'm sure that areas east of me did even better.  We're not talking about it much but for the usual LI jackpot areas in central/northern suffolk, this has to be a top 5 season if we consider 93/94 the start of the new snow age, and top 3 if we consider 2000/2001 the start?  

Seems like 02-03 began the turn to regularly snowier winters. It ramped up to a whole new level starting in 09-10 . Only 1 dud season so far in the 2010's with the 11-12 outlier. Don't think anyone would have predicted this after the 96-97 to 01-02 snow drought period. 

15 hours ago, bluewave said:
9h
Whoa! As of 1 AM Monday, #Kirksville MO had already gotten down to 6°F, ensuring an all-time low for any April. Old record was 8°F (4/1/1899 and 4/5/1920). Records began in Kirksville in 1893.w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory…
View details ·    

What's up with Lincoln, IL- they hit -1 and their record for the day was 21, for the month 17, and the latest they'd previously went below zero was March 12, 1998!

5 hours ago, Paragon said:

What's up with Lincoln, IL- they hit -1 and their record for the day was 21, for the month 17, and the latest they'd previously went below zero was March 12, 1998!

The -1°F temperature at Lincoln, IL, is the most southerly sub-zero reading in the month of April for any station between western Kansas and eastern W. Virginia in the climate record. @NWSLincolnILpic.twitter.com/24LGwN2nw6
View photo ·    

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LINCOLN IL
1224 PM CDT MON APR 02 2018

...NEW MONTHLY RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET IN LINCOLN...

THE MORNING LOW TEMPERATURE OF -1 DEGREES IN LINCOLN IS THE FIRST
TIME A SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURE OCCURRED IN APRIL. IT BROKE THE MONTHLY
RECORD LOW OF 14 DEGREES...WHICH WAS SET ON APRIL 5 1920.

THIS IS ALSO THE LATEST IN THE SEASON THAT A SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURE
HAS OCCURRED. THE PREVIOUSLY LATEST DATE WAS ON MARCH 12 1948...
WHEN THE LOW WAS -2.

THE DAILY RECORD FOR APRIL 2ND WAS CRUSHED AS WELL. THE OLD RECORD
OF 20 DEGREES WAS SET IN 1961.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived