Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2018 banter

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Rjay pinned this topic
18 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

My yard is a freaking disaster from the 3/2 storm... today was the first day I've been able to see the extent of the tree damage. Just dozens of downed limbs thawing out of the glacier along with half a dozen snapped or uprooted trees... this year's spring cleanup will certainly take a while.

Yeah I think this is the year that I just can't put off any longer building a big ol' firepit to burn all of the brush. 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah I think this is the year that I just can't put off any longer building a big ol' firepit to burn all of the brush. 

Make sure you have weenies as the annual burn ban is in effect but cooking food on the fire is a way around it, or tell them its a ceremonial bonfire.  I'm good for 12 pack and some moonshine.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Well I am leaving for Eastern Tennessee tomorrow morning. Will be there through April 2nd.

The GFS has a nasty severe threat there on Wednesday and then again on Thursday night.

One of the my sons went to college near the Cumberland Gap, beautiful area of the country right there.

21 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

My yard is a freaking disaster from the 3/2 storm... today was the first day I've been able to see the extent of the tree damage. Just dozens of downed limbs thawing out of the glacier along with half a dozen snapped or uprooted trees... this year's spring cleanup will certainly take a while.

The 2010's must be the top decade for tree damage around the region. 

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Make sure you have weenies as the annual burn ban is in effect but cooking food on the fire is a way around it, or tell them its a ceremonial bonfire.  I'm good for 12 pack and some moonshine.

I'd like to know the reason for the burn ban. This time of year is the least likely to have a brush fire so it can't be due to high fire danger. 

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'd like to know the reason for the burn ban. This time of year is the least likely to have a brush fire so it can't be due to high fire danger. 

Since they started doing the burn ban spring brush fires were reduced by 37%, I believe.  This time of year can have a very high fire danger especially before everything leafs out.  Of course this March has been wet, and snowy, but most of, if not all, of our Red Flag days happen this time of year.

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Since they started doing the burn ban spring brush fires were reduced by 37%, I believe.  This time of year can have a very high fire danger especially before everything leafs out.  Of course this March has been wet, and snowy, but most of, if not all, of our Red Flag days happen this time of year.

@gravitylover http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/113004.html

22 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 2010's must be the top decade for tree damage around the region.

Yikes, some rather apocalyptic scenes in that video! I don't think I've seen that one before. The interesting thing is that the winds don't look all that noteworthy just from what you can see there. Certainly no bendy palms in this area.

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yikes, some rather apocalyptic scenes in that video! I don't think I've seen that one before. The interesting thing is that the winds don't look all that noteworthy just from what you can see there. Certainly no bendy palms in this area.

That section of Wantagh is like living in a forest. The ground level can be sheltered from the strongest winds. But it was really blowing closer to the treetops.

I'm surprised that this time of year is so strong for fires. Most years it's still so wet into the middle of April I'm having a hard time picturing it being that bad. Ehh, either way I can't get a burn permit any time of year due to watershed bulls**t hence why I need to build an outdoor fire pit. I've got brush and branches piled up feet deep all the way around the yard from the last 6 years since Irene and I'm really tired of looking at it and dealing with the ticks coming in on the dogs all the time. It's time to clean up the mess and burning is the only way that's going to happen.

49 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, I don't get the prevailing attitude that certain types of weather are only good after or before certain dates. Like the folks who say December is too early to enjoy snow or October is too late to get excited about severe. It's a bit like how my grandparents would begin staring at their watches every day at 4:40 pm to know precisely when it hits 5 and becomes ok to pour a drink.

Exactly, you can’t drink all day if you don’t start in the morning. Why is it ok to drink in the a.m. after midnight but before dawn?  Isn’t better to drink later in the a.m.?

I'm surprised that this time of year is so strong for fires. Most years it's still so wet into the middle of April I'm having a hard time picturing it being that bad. Ehh, either way I can't get a burn permit any time of year due to watershed bulls**t hence why I need to build an outdoor fire pit. I've got brush and branches piled up feet deep all the way around the yard from the last 6 years since Irene and I'm really tired of looking at it and dealing with the ticks coming in on the dogs all the time. It's time to clean up the mess and burning is the only way that's going to happen.

Low dews, dead and dried vegetation, and often windy conditions, perfect recipe for brush fires. 

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Never been, best route 287-78-81?

Yep, lots of time on 81 but I enjoyed the ride. 

Yesterday the island of Crete in Greece (1M tourists visit each year) was like Red Planet Mars. Visibility less than 1 km and red color due to dust from Sahara desert. (Also 28 Celsius while in some north parts of Greece it was snowing). Sent by a colleague at Greek Met Svc. pic.twitter.com/nOdd8dielv
5:58 AM - 23 Mar 2018 from Miami, FL

And here is the plume of Saharan Dust that produced that amazing picture in Crete yesterday. pic.twitter.com/duPGTCFiHm
12:17 PM - 23 Mar 2018 from Carnegie, PA

The Athens Observatory said on Friday that one of the largest ever transfers of desert sand to Greece from the Sahara in North Africa took place on Thursday. 

According to satellite images, dust levels in the atmosphere were especially high in the southern part of the country. 

The African dust covered the entire country and concentrations were the highest in the last 10 years, according to the observatory’s meteorological service. 

PM10 levels exceeded 500 micrograms per cubic meter and blocked the sun’s rays, limiting the amount of solar radiation reaching the ground. 

According to the observatory, the desert dust directly impacts the climate due to its interaction with solar radiation but also indirectly due to its interaction with the clouds.

17 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Never been, best route 287-78-81?

I've been to the area a few times. I used to assist in rehabbing houses with the Methodist Church in SW Kentucky. Would have to cut north through Morristown, Tennessee. Beautiful drive. Watch out for the troopers in Virginia, they love Jersey plates. 

^^Not only do they love out of state plates, the fines and penalties are onerous to say the least. I keep hearing horror stories of people getting pulled over for 2-3mph over the limit and it costing them outrageous amounts of $$ as they find 3 or 4 additional things to add to the ticket. 

81 in VA has always been torture for me. Never had issues with the gendarme but traffic is perpetually terrible through the Staunton area.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived