Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 24/25 Overrunning Disturbance

wncsnow

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

It may be just pure rain here right now. Hopefully the flakes aren't far away.

Yeah, same here.  Maybe a few flakes mixed in here and there.  Hopefully, that OBS from folks west of us starts working it’s way east at some point, but I’m getting concerned.  We’ve been in a precip lull for hours now...and now it’s drizzling.

2 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Yeah, same here.  Maybe a few flakes mixed in here and there.  Hopefully, that OBS from folks west of us starts working it’s way east at some point, but I’m getting concerned.  We’ve been in a precip lull for hours now...and now it’s drizzling.

Maybe, I'm under 30+ dbz returns now and it's just raining harder. Sucks this one doesn't seem to be working out, you missed a lot of good events this winter!

10 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Maybe, I'm under 30+ dbz returns now and it's just raining harder. Sucks this one doesn't seem to be working out, you missed a lot of good events this winter!

Got some big flakes mixing back in here at the moment, but mixed precip isn’t going to get us anywhere.

Yeah, this winter sounded good.  Seemed like it rivaled the great recent winters of 09-10 and 13-14.  Last winter had that fantastic storm in January, as well (granted, that winter overall was a disaster).  Sucks to be down in the tropics for two of the bigger snowstorms in recent memory!

I think this might be the latest in the season I’ve seen thus much snow before, aside from when I saw snow in May last year on vacation in Finland/Sweden.  I remember it snowing here on the last day or two of March in 2002 or 2003, I think, but that was just a dusting, and we’ve got a little more than that on the ground tonight.  Pretty near.

2 minutes ago, tarheelwx said:

Some big flakes in Colfax.  Seems to be picking up.

TW

Yeah, it looks like snow is becoming the dominate P-type here at the moment, as well.  Hope it keeps up...

Just now, Brick Tamland said:

Crazy that it is colder now but no snow. And it started out so well.

Mid-levels will be our main issue as the storm progresses, and the BL was our issue moreso earlier on.

57 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Wytheville should get 14 to 16 inches. Saw a report of 6 inches in Bassett

Looks like a smattering of 12-14” reports from out of there as of an hour or two ago.  They always looked set up well for this one, and it really overperformed.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=RNK&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

...Wythe County...
   1 NNW Wytheville      13.5  1006 PM  3/24  Trained Spotter
   1 NNW WYTHEVILLE      13.1  1014 PM  3/24  Co-Op Observer
   2 WSW Wytheville      12.0   940 PM  3/24  Trained Spotter
   Wytheville            12.0  1000 PM  3/24  Social Media
   4 ENE Ivanhoe          9.0   711 PM  3/24  Public
   1 N Wytheville         5.0   415 PM  3/24  Trained Spotter

From RNK

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...
As of 1145 PM EDT Saturday...

Extended Winter storm warnings into the Piedmont of North
Carolina...to include Henry, Surry, Stokes, Rockingham, and
Caswell. Per coordination with NWS GSP will also add Wilkes and
Yadkin for mainly freezing rain and sleet.

Significant snow accumulations are ongoing across the New River
Valley with upwards of 12 to 15 inches of wet snow. I don`t
think I have ever seen as much snow hanging in the trees as with
this system. Power outages will likely mount as the snow
continues. There is a sharp gradient in the snow vs. no snow
with areas north and east of Roanoke receiving very little snow
while areas just to the west are buried. Strong warm air
advection up through the Tennessee valley is resulting in a
change over to sleet and freezing rain for areas west of I-77.

Going to be a fair amount of tree damage west of here, I imagine. Trees are plastered thoroughly here and we are well short of a foot.

Just got upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning in Catawba County for 2-4 inches of snow and sleet!

Wow! Didn't see that coming, and I'm not too confident that will verify, but would love to see it. I currently have about .25-.50 inches of sleet on the ground, with over an inch of liquid equivalent that has fallen.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Yeah it's turned out to be a great winter here, after that terrible February!!  How much have you had all together this winter? see how close we are?

Around 17 inches total. I went to bed after last measurement of 4 in. It was going back to sleet. If that storm were in January or February I think we would probably doubled what we got. I’m thankful we didn’t loose power.

This wasnt a bad winter. Would I have liked to have seen more snow? Of course yes. But most of NC ,if not all,had snow this winter and that doesn’t happen to often.

Ready for spring now but  winter18/19 won’t be far away. Only 9 months until Christmas. 

What about your end if Surry? How did you do this year. 

25 minutes ago, Northern Foothills Snowman said:

Around 17 inches total. I went to bed after last measurement of 4 in. It was going back to sleet. If that storm were in January or February I think we would probably doubled what we got. I’m thankful we didn’t loose power.

This wasnt a bad winter. Would I have liked to have seen more snow? Of course yes. But most of NC ,if not all,had snow this winter and that doesn’t happen to often.

Ready for spring now but  winter18/19 won’t be far away. Only 9 months until Christmas. 

What about your end if Surry? How did you do this year. 

I ended up around 19.5  inches for the winter...... It's been a good winter, I dread the hot and humid weather though! But ready to play some golf!!! I'm counting last night as 3 inches that I measured but it snowed heavy on and off a hour or two after I measured............. 

Archived