Newest Member
    joxey
March 24/25 Overrunning Disturbance

wncsnow

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Wow look at that tight gradient over McDowell, wncsnow. Good I thing I live in the northern end lol. 

Looks to be some down-sloping with that trajectory of moisture and obviously elevation will play a big role

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

Best run of the Euro yet! Has me in the 4 to 6 range!

It's going to be 4-6 inches of sloppy paste, then.  The Euro never gets any area around Raleigh below freezing during any portion of the event.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch 4-6 inches of snow fall from the sky, even if it never really accumulates - just the novelty of snow is worth it - but I would seriously temper your expectations unless you are close to the mountains or north of the state line into Virginia.

And for everyone who's ready to point it out:  yes, I know snow can accumulate with ground temps above zero, if the rates are hard enough.  It's just never good to bank on that.

3 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

It's going to be 4-6 inches of sloppy paste, then.  The Euro never gets any area around Raleigh below freezing during any portion of the event.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch 4-6 inches of snow fall from the sky, even if it never really accumulates - just the novelty of snow is worth it - but I would seriously temper your expectations unless you are close to the mountains or north of the state line into Virginia.

And for everyone who's ready to point it out:  yes, I know snow can accumulate with ground temps above zero, if the rates are hard enough.  It's just never good to bank on that.

It hovers around 33-35 here in Danville so it may have trouble sticking unless the rates can overcome it

1 hour ago, calculus1 said:

Euro snow maps are based on 10:1 ratios and we won't be seeing anything near that for this event. Assuming surface temps hover in the 33-35 degree range, the melting/compaction and wet snow will yield very low ratios on the order of 3:1 or so. The 4-6" the Euro is showing would more realistically be a sloppy 1-3" for the areas that see the heaviest bands. It will be similar to what we saw a few weeks ago with the event where it snowed all day but most areas saw 1-2" max.

17 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

Euro snow maps are based on 10:1 ratios and we won't be seeing anything near that for this event. Assuming surface temps hover in the 33-35 degree range, the melting/compaction and wet snow will yield very low ratios on the order of 3:1 or so. The 4-6" the Euro is showing would more realistically be a sloppy 1-3" for the areas that see the heaviest bands. It will be similar to what we saw a few weeks ago with the event where it snowed all day but most areas saw 1-2" max.

And that for the end of March is awesome. 

3 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

NAM is coming in north with the precip

refcmp_ptype.us_ma.png

Can we talk about that there is a 1040 HP to the north? I mean its not overly strong and it's not in the perfect place, but I would expect it to have more of an impact. RGEM at the end of it's 12z run has a 1044 HP. Thats enough to make a big difference.

Archived