• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 24/25 Overrunning Disturbance

wncsnow

Models coming into agreement that Roanoke-Southside VA/Northern NC may be in the cross-hairs for heaviest precip with rain changing to snow. Timing is different on models, some have it starting as early as midday Saturday while others hold off until evening hours. 

Latest model runs snow maps-

GFS

5ab3acc88f06d_snku_acc.us_ma(1).thumb.png.3eefedf04d250e2eb7bf80dbf5d3800d.png

NAM

5ab3ace35ce8f_snku_acc.us_ma(2).thumb.png.87ec87a5cae59820e1d8df47c3373efe.png

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some major questions remain including-

1. Track of the low

2. Depth cold air and strength of CAD high pressure

3. Axis of heaviest overrunning precip

Models have temperatures rising into the mid 40's for VA/NC piedmont regions with dewpoints in the mid to upper 20s. It will be a close call and a lot of the snow may not accumulate well due to boundary layer issues and the high late March sun angle. 

However, if precip is as heavy as models advertise is could be a quick thump, especially if it occurs overnight Saturday

I would look for a southward adjustment as we get closer. In this setup the CAD and HP will likely force the LP a bit further south than currently modeled. Also looking at some ensembles there are quite a few members with a more suppressed track, similar to the 06z German and 00z UK runs.

36 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

I would look for a southward adjustment as we get closer. In this setup the CAD and HP will likely force the LP a bit further south than currently modeled. Also looking at some ensembles there are quite a few members with a more suppressed track, similar to the 06z German and 00z UK runs.

Looks like the 12z NAM heard you. Colder over 6z

The 12Z ICON shows the snow swath much further south and west than does the 12Z NAM.  It is, not surprisingly, colder at the surface in the traditional CAD regions.  I'm not too thrilled with the trajectory of this impulse, for my location.  It seems the northern Triad probably has the best chance to see some frozen surprises out of this system, in North Carolina.

55 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Woah @ GFS...

BTW is this really a clipper? Doesn't the s/w come in from the Baja region and the surface low spring up in CO?

wncsnow saves it by having the word "overrunning" before "clipper" :lol:

but yeah, the wave for the system originates in California, then works thru the central U.S. ridge in split flow, before diving southeast.  It really weakens as it dives southeast, but there is enough moisture and lift for precip on Saturday before it weakens into Sunday 

4 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

Thanks Buddy, I bookmarked that site. I’m hoping for a few more slight shifts south and we will likely get the best storm of the season here in Boone...only need 6” to do it lol

No problem man! Hoping we can all cash in on what should be the last storm of winter possibilities. 

36 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Looks okay to me. I might be far enough north to get a couple of inches out of this one. Any snow this time of year is icing on the cake. 

Doesn't always work out this way but you guys in the eastern part of the state have had more than than those of us in western part.

I think all together we have had around 12 - 13 in. in Surry County. I glad for you in the east as normally its the other way around.

Hope everyone who wants snow gets dumped on big time across the state.

For those who are ready for spring it's just about here.

• wncsnow changed the title to March 24/25 Overrunning Disturbance

GFS says I get 6" of slush (meaning nothing) in the Triad and then I can drive an hour north to my farm in Stuart, VA and see a foot of snow?  I'm gonna enjoy watching this verify, or not.

This looks to be a daylight event on Saturday.  What do we need here to slow this down to Sat evening?  Better chance for CAD to filter into NC and give the RDU folks some love too!

Archived