Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

How did 2010 play out month to month, because I feel this winter mirrored that a bit.

I'm wondering if it did mirror 2010 in Toronto. Not so much here.

In 2009-10 we had no snow in Nov and just a trace in March. Slightly below avg snow in dec and Jan, and well above avg in Feb. The net result was an average season in terms of total snowfall.

In 2017-18 we had several days with flurries in Oct and Nov but nothing measurable. Slightly below avg snow in Jan, near avg snow in Mar and well above avg snow in Dec and Feb. The net result is a well above avg season in total snowfall.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

How did 2010 play out month to month, because I feel this winter mirrored that a bit.

March 2010 was much warmer obviously. But yeah, no measurable snow that winter in March or April.

The core of 2009-10 and 17-18 were much different for YYZ. 09-10 was a futility winter that sucked pretty much from wall to wall. This winter was ok up until the 2nd week in February. Then it disappeared.

Honestly, can't think of a good analog locally for this winter. Usually when the snow season wraps up early it's because of premature spring warmth. Not massive blocking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

March 2010 was much warmer obviously. But yeah, no measurable snow that winter in March or April.

The core of 2009-10 and 17-18 were much different for YYZ. 09-10 was a futility winter that sucked pretty much from wall to wall. This winter was ok up until the 2nd week in February. Then it disappeared.

Honestly, can't think of a good analog locally for this winter. Usually when the snow season wraps up early it's because of premature spring warmth. Not massive blocking.

March 1962 is the only best analog I can think of. It featured strong atlantic blocking and YYZ barely recorded 2.0" of snow that month and only 0.47" of precipitation. Albeit, February 1962 is a top 5 snowy month at YYZ LOL. Snowfall amounts prior to March 1962, are almost comparable to this season (35.6" this season vs. 47.2" in 61-62). 

I mean other than that, I don't know. Bizarre season and for the worst too, smh. 

Question about Holland Tulip Festival...

Vacation has been planned to come for the Tulip Festival.  With what seems like a slow start to spring, anything I should be aware of?  We are going for an early morning photo tour before it opens so we have concerns about the development of the tulips.  

2 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

Vacation has been planned to come for the Tulip Festival.  With what seems like a slow start to spring, anything I should be aware of?  We are going for an early morning photo tour before it opens so we have concerns about the development of the tulips.  

Well, a lot can happen between now and cinco de mayo... but at this point I’d keep looking for atleast a solid week of 50-60’s for that to take place, and we’re 5 weeks out so plenty of time for that to happen. 

• Like 1

Blocking.... anyone? Plenty to go around. :rolleyes:

Theres one of two things that will probably happen when and if this pattern breaks - and one would highly favor the sub. Either this blocking stays put and we carry on through a very chilly spring/early summer (near record breaking if all stays put... yuck)... OR we get a pattern change and we will make a sudden change from 30’s and 40’s, to 70’s and 80’s within a weeks time. The good about that is the amount of cold air that will still be to the north - thus a very good severe weather season. 

Hard to say what will happen though. With any luck blocking will stay in place and it’ll be in the 50’s for Memorial Day. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

Still too early to know.  Several recent few years have seen early blooms, but this year is definitely colder right now so development is slower right now.  My daffodils are barely breaking through the surface.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

This winter was ok up until the 2nd week in February. Then it disappeared.

You could even argue winter began to transition out in late January. That thaw was pretty much the beginning of the end besides a slight winter resurgence in early Feb. Its just been a month-long end of the end this year ha..

On the plus side I have been able to bike to work for 4 weeks now; that’s a lot earlier than usual. Took a bit of a soaking on the ride home this afternoon. 

21 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Theres one of two things that will probably happen when and if this pattern breaks - and one would highly favor the sub. Either this blocking stays put and we carry on through a very chilly spring/early summer (near record breaking if all stays put... yuck)... OR we get a pattern change and we will make a sudden change from 30’s and 40’s, to 70’s and 80’s within a weeks time. The good about that is the amount of cold air that will still be to the north - thus a very good severe weather season. 

Hard to say what will happen though. With any luck blocking will stay in place and it’ll be in the 50’s for Memorial Day. 

Imagine if this pattern snaps and we end up with a major May heat wave, like what happened in 1962?

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/daily_data_e.html?hlyRange=1953-01-01|2013-06-13&dlyRange=1937-11-01|2013-06-13&mlyRange=1937-01-01|2013-06-01&StationID=5097&Prov=ON&urlExtension=_e.html&searchType=stnName&optLimit=yearRange&StartYear=1840&EndYear=2017&selRowPerPage=25&Line=61&searchMethod=contains&txtStationName=Toronto&timeframe=2&Day=1&Year=1962&Month=5

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Definitely warm when breaks

On 3/29/2018 at 9:08 AM, KokomoWX said:

Timing the tulips with the festival is always a dice toss. In recent times, they often bloom before the actual festival but this may be the 1 in 6  yrs when they don't, or even the 1 in 12 yrs that they're late. City of Holland or tourism beaureau has a live web-cam on a sample plot of tulips so you can monitor the progress. Can't change it ofc, but at least you know what to expect. Before the web, it was a real crap shoot to know when to make the trip? Regardless, great city/region and you can't help but have a good time. 

43 minutes ago, blackrock said:

Snow north of here, snow south of here, with rain here this weekend....gotta love it...not. Same stupid thing over and over.

Saying the same thing to myself. Everything finds a way to miss us. Mid-meek storm looks wet too now.

I thought Snowstorms was going off the deep end when back in mid-March he said we wouldn't see 0.9" of snow the rest of the way. Looks like he'll be right. Smh.

• Like 1

54412932288__61725695-EA16-4C0F-A597-92F844511C5A.jpeg.16bac008f2cc684ff45c874e09850d42.jpeg54412933048__983A64E9-37C2-41DC-8240-DBFC01FD0020.jpeg.4742323d1b87b1d85ce6f079123afe98.jpeg

This was taken about 40 minutes NE of Parry Sound (3 hours north of Toronto) at the family cottage. Ice is still about 22 inches thick on the lake, but as you can see a lot of snow has melted. Great weather though for getting the cottage ready for summer, the people that winter up here said that winter has essentially been over for about a month as well. 

I wonder what an early snow melt and dry march will mean for the fire season. Not looking for a washout of a spring, but a couple good storms spaced out will do wonders to minimize the fire risk come May-September. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Saying the same thing to myself. Everything finds a way to miss us. Mid-meek storm looks wet too now.

I thought Snowstorms was going off the deep end when back in mid-March he said we wouldn't see 0.9" of snow the rest of the way. Looks like he'll be right. Smh.

:lol: This winter is a joke, straight up joke. I'm over it! I been wanting Spring for the last 2 weeks and it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon ugh. I never would have thought we'd go mid February thru April 1st without a SINGLE snowstorm. Not even a 2" event, literally nada. Preposterous! Like wtf?

• Like 1