Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

On 8/7/2018 at 11:46 AM, beavis1729 said:

I've been thinking how rare it has been over the last few "summers" (which I define as June 10th - Sep 10th at ORD due to the colder lake temps in early June) to have comfortable mornings...or even "normal" mornings.    

So far in 2018, about 70% of days in this time period have had above-normal low temps at ORD...and it's probably similar for 2016 and 2017.

Some of this is UHI...but warmer mornings during this 3-month "summer" period seem to be occurring over all of the Chicago metro, not just ORD.

In July, the normal low is around 65...so you'd generally expect the same # of days with lows of 70+ vs. lows in the 50s.

But here are the numbers...

July 2016:  10 days with lows of 70+, 4 days with lows in the 50s

July 2017:  7 days with lows of 70+, 1 day with lows in the 50s

July 2018:  10 days with lows of 70+, 1 day with lows in the 50s

July 2016-2018 Total:  27 days with lows of 70+, 6 days with lows in the 50s

I hope this isn't a "new normal".  In summers past, I remember many instances when a cool Canadian high would come down, with dry dewpoints and highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s...even during the peak of summer.  It seems like we rarely get these days anymore.  Is it because the arctic/Canada is generally warming...and therefore the source region for these air masses is warmer?  Or, is it simply UHI in all of Chicago metro, not just ORD?  

Good breakdown of this trend, I enjoyed it. Its the new normal as its happening here as well and we have far less development in rural ON than ORD.