• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

Nice catch Buffalo. I'd like to do that sometime, but never have attempted it. Walleye is my favorite fresh water fish to eat.

Does anyone know why NWS switched back to all caps in their products. Every time I open one, I feel like they're yelling at me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Burlington, Vermont had a low of 81. That's just ridiculous for that part of the country.  Now just have to hold it through tonight.

I sent them a tweet about it, because I have a feeling, there is no record of a low above 80 for them considering how far north they are.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I sent them a tweet about it, because I have a feeling, there is no record of a low above 80 for them considering how far north they are.

I checked their records and don't see anything above 78, which they have done a number of times.

17 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone here do any lake fishing? We caught our limit of 18 walleye in 5 hours in Erie today. Including a 8 lb monster!

mYUi7Qr.jpg

Walleye fishermen myself, nice catch there man! Lots of good eating, walleye, bluegill, and crappie are my favorite. Nothing better than a huge fish fry with coleslaw, baked beans, and hush puppies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Nice catch Buffalo. I'd like to do that sometime, but never have attempted it. Walleye is my favorite fresh water fish to eat.

Does anyone know why NWS switched back to all caps in their products. Every time I open one, I feel like they're yelling at me.

They are my favorite fresh water fish as well. I couldn't believe how nice of a day Sunday was out on the lake, it literally could not have gotten better. 90/Sunny/No waves. 

On 7/1/2018 at 11:24 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Anyone here do any lake fishing? We caught our limit of 18 walleye in 5 hours in Erie today. Including a 8 lb monster!

mYUi7Qr.jpg

Are you getting those big eyes mounted?  Do you guys eat those big walleye?  I can't imagine they will taste very good. 

Here on Lake of the Woods/Rainy River everything 19.5"-28" must go back immediately, but I think the general consensus around here is if you want the best tasting walleye, target keeping the 14 inchers, even the 19 inchers start to taste poor.

I still haven't had a single thunderstorm YTD IMBY for 2018. Statistically this is a near impossible streak even for my storm-barren region. I normally would have 8 storms by now. Was a switch flipped off somewhere?

On 7/3/2018 at 12:11 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Impressive. Detroit has done it 5 times total, each time at exactly 80°, the most recent being in 2006 and before that 1942. The warmest low at DTW in this heatwave has been 76°.

Did you stumble on anything from 1911 or looked into that summer? I continue to see 1911 pop up and I'm curious about its geographical reach regarding heatwaves.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

Are you getting those big eyes mounted?  Do you guys eat those big walleye?  I can't imagine they will taste very good. 

Here on Lake of the Woods/Rainy River everything 19.5"-28" must go back immediately, but I think the general consensus around here is if you want the best tasting walleye, target keeping the 14 inchers, even the 19 inchers start to taste poor.

9 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Yeah I'd rather eat a  Jonger smoked carp over walleye that size.  Walleye is overrated to begin with.  That body of water is a walleye factory though..  Enjoy.  Barf

I beer batter fish fry them. The notion that big walleye don't taste good is overstated. Of course the smaller ones are more tender and better tasting. But as already stated, they are the best tasting fresh water fish IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King James said:

What a great night of sleep. Low humidity and a nice breeze playing with the tree tops. Make it a good day boys

We were in Merrillville on Thursday and got to watch that great thunderstorm roll through, then spent yesterday at Wrigley where even though the good guys lost, a person couldn't ask for better weather. One more day of low humidity and sunshine, then back to swampa$$ corn fields.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

We were in Merrillville on Thursday and got to watch that great thunderstorm roll through, then spent yesterday at Wrigley where even though the good guys lost, a person couldn't ask for better weather. One more day of low humidity and sunshine, then back to swampa$$ corn fields.

Practically close enough to wave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Coldest summer in 100 years here in Iceland. 

I looked into this and it appears May and June (and so far this July) have been a nightmare for good weather lovers in Iceland. 2015 was one of the worst in Reykjavik, 2016 one of the hottest summers. What's really happening is they are getting stupid amounts of rain, wind, and cloudiness nonstop with below average temperatures since the start of May. I was amazed when looking at their 7-day and current obs, no sun just rain everyday and sitting around 10ºC :raining:. I'll say this, if I was living there I would move heaven and earth to get the hell out of there for this pattern and be in the exact opposite climate: southern AZ (of course!). Its absolutely beautiful there (Iceland) and near the top of my countries to visit "list" however I can't imagine how crazy I'd become with a pattern that atrocious! They are going through their 2014 :cry:. On the flip side here in ON this pattern has been fantastic: ultra dry, sunny, hardly any clouds or rain (nearly none!) and best of all warm :D. The 7 days coming up look superb, no clouds or rain really. Both today and tomorrow are 32ºC.

Here is a NYTimes article in plaintext (good for low bandwidth) about the crappy weather in Iceland.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:05 AM, Torchageddon said:

I still haven't had a single thunderstorm YTD IMBY for 2018. Statistically this is a near impossible streak even for my storm-barren region. I normally would have 8 storms by now. Was a switch flipped off somewhere?

Did you stumble on anything from 1911 or looked into that summer? I continue to see 1911 pop up and I'm curious about its geographical reach regarding heatwaves.

While May 1911 was one of the warmest on record, the summer of 1911 was not an exceptionally hot summer here; however there was a brutal heatwave July 1-5 which caused some loss of life and a ton of discomfort. It made the front page of the daily newspaper each day.

• Thanks 1