Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

On 6/12/2018 at 12:30 AM, cyclone77 said:

Think I'm gonna start a thread about record heat index temps next January.  

:o :bike:

There aren't many things in science that remain undiscovered or undocumented..and I've never been able to locate a list of WC records by state anywhere.  A fun little science/research project. :D

• Like 1

cyclone -- I was looking at some stuff from the 1930s last night... and of course a lot of those heat records are crazy.  In July 1936, I noticed MLI had 11 consecutive days of 100+.  Maybe even more impressive was 9 straight days of lows of 80+.  I would consider both of those streaks to be virtually unbreakable, thanks in large part due to the better farming nowadays which tends to take the edge off the extreme high temps (at the expense of making it more muggy).

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

cyclone -- I was looking at some stuff from the 1930s last night... and of course a lot of those heat records are crazy.  In July 1936, I noticed MLI had 11 consecutive days of 100+.  Maybe even more impressive was 9 straight days of lows of 80+.  I would consider both of those streaks to be virtually unbreakable, thanks in large part due to the better farming nowadays which tends to take the edge off the extreme high temps (at the expense of making it more muggy).

Wow, I can't imagine experiencing something like that.  Back then most people didn't have AC either, so sleeping had to be pretty difficult with such warm nighttime temps.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Wow, I can't imagine experiencing something like that.  Back then most people didn't have AC either, so sleeping had to be pretty difficult with such warm nighttime temps.

Indeed

Kinda surprising that nighttime temps couldn't drop more than that given the drought conditions.  Then again, maybe the Moline site was located in a spot that retained heat well.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Indeed

Kinda surprising that nighttime temps couldn't drop more than that given the drought conditions.  Then again, maybe the Moline site was located in a spot that retained heat well.

With the ground being so dry barren and hard during those years I wonder if it acted almost like asphalt and retained the heat longer allowing for the warmer lows? Just like a natural heat island effect but on a huge scale.

24 minutes ago, outflow said:

With the ground being so dry barren and hard during those years I wonder if it acted almost like asphalt and retained the heat longer allowing for the warmer lows? Just like a natural heat island effect but on a huge scale.

Interesting thought.  I don't know.  I always assumed drought led to bigger diurnal swings.

The temp did drop near/over 25 degrees on those nights.  Respectable but I would've thought more.

Ugh... couldn’t even squeak one decent day in this week (Monday was nice until it wasn’t). Nothing like trying to work outside on projects that require dry weather and it rains (or mists) every 3 minutes. Today was looking promising - again, until it wasn’t. Hi-Res has the rain arriving here at 18z.

Hopefully it rains this weekend... oh wait, it will... and it will be a soaker Friday, Saturday and mostly all of Sunday with highs around 60 maybe 70 but doubtful being on the north side of this... Typical. Worst of all, can’t even get a thunderstorm out of these systems. 

Excuse my rant. Looks like the pattern will be changing to more steady summer like weather next week... until the next ULL moves in for the rest of July :rolleyes: (where were these in January?)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, madwx said:

This is like a late April system in late June.  Can't wait for the death ridge to push the MCS pattern up into Canada after this.

My thought exactly in the days leading up to this.  This system looks out of season lol

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

My thought exactly in the days leading up to this.  This system looks out of season lol

And there's a severe threat through Oklahoma and Arkansas the next couple days.  The seasons are really out of wack in 2018.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Had a good friend that went to a wedding Friday night, wasn't feeling well. Went for a walk with his mom and sister around the pond, than had a brain aneurysm and died on the spot at 26 years old. Enjoy each day with your family and friends. 

Damn.  Those things are scary.  My condolences.

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Had a good friend that went to a wedding Friday night, wasn't feeling well. Went for a walk with his mom and sister around the pond, than had a brain aneurysm and died on the spot at 26 years old. Enjoy each day with your family and friends. 

Dang, sorry about your friend :(

39 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Damn.  Those things are scary.  My condolences.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Dang, sorry about your friend :(

Thanks guys. Just a little more to the story. My wife was at a wedding Friday Night in Perry New York. I was unable to attend because I worked late and the drive did not make it worth the amount of time I would be able to spend there. He was eating desert with my wife at the table at 8:30. Shortly after he was with his mom and sister and told them he didn't feel well so went for a walk around the pond with them. A little after 9 he collapsed during his walk and ambulance was called at 9:14. They spent over an hour trying to bring him back to no avail. He was 26 years old and a fully healthy young man. I'm still in shock, we hung out every week for almost a decade. I went over his parents house to see them and his sister who we are also really close too. I didn't even know what to say, he was one of the funniest guys I've ever met and he would of hated us to be sad and negative. We talked about all the good stories we had together so it was nice to remember him that way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Very sad to hear you lost a good friend so young and so sudden.  An aneurysm killed my mom.  Great advice to follow.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 12:37 AM, Hoosier said:

Apparently the GFS knows the corn is running ahead of schedule in cyclone's area

USA_DPTF_2m_384.thumb.gif.71d8bb3e7dd1728d4c94a5bc493b2b49.gif

Here's the 5 day prog valid at the same time.  Considering the first image was 16 days out, it appears to have been a pretty decent signal

USA_DPTF_2m_120.thumb.gif.d135608d6d1c8d6de67bc8547ba320f9.gif