Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

3 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

What I don't get is how is it even possible for it to be above normal in WI/MI/ME but below normal in Florida? Cold air comes from the north, warm air from the south.

It's all relative.  I haven't looked but maybe there is a cloudy/rainy pattern expected down south in that timeframe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

What I don't get is how is it even possible for it to be above normal in WI/MI/ME but below normal in Florida? Cold air comes from the north, warm air from the south.

Averages.

Atlanta's average high this time of year is in the mid 70s. But between the persistent eastern troughing up until now (thus relentess NW or SE flow) and then what looks to be a split flow type of pattern setting up next week (thus dealing with clouds / rain from cut off lows), we'll do good to get out of the 60s from here on out, which is a fair bit below average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

I bet we get to May with most trees not leafed out here.  I see buds on the trees but they are just sort of hanging out in a semi-dormant state.

Normal growing season in the GTA usually begins around the first and/or second week of May with most trees fully out by mid-late May. If this cool pattern continues it may hinder the development here as well. 

Better not be another trough next weekend. So sick of this crappy weather. Tired of baseball games practices being cancelled or being held in 45 degrees with a breeze. Don't think I've ever seen a pattern last this long and of course it's always weather nobody wants. Why couldn't this come in winter? It's like winters are calm storms missing everyone to south then to above normal temps with ugly spring every year

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm moving somewhere warmer in the next few years. This weather this late in the season is a joke. 

Amen.

56 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

12z Euro trying to set-up another massive trough in the sub-forum next weekend as the PV drops down towards Hudson Bay along with a split flow pattern in the Pacific NW, lol. 

Please make it stop, I've had enough!

:wub: I love the perpetual trough especially coming from the Euro when this lame-ass April continues its historic misery. That is scary though. This is the most snowcover I've ever seen this far into April.

Just got back from Miami for 10 days. I come back to 6" of snow the last 2 days. Its so depressing to me this time of year. I want to wear shorts and a tank top. I also want to go for nice humid night walks and roll down my windows while I drive. Cold March and Aprils are just brutal. Cannot wait for some warmth and sun!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, zinski1990 said:

Better not be another trough next weekend. So sick of this crappy weather. Tired of baseball games practices being cancelled or being held in 45 degrees with a breeze. Don't think I've ever seen a pattern last this long and of course it's always weather nobody wants. Why couldn't this come in winter? It's like winters are calm storms missing everyone to south then to above normal temps with ugly spring every year

If we had this pattern in winter the snow would be in Dixie lol. This is very anamolous cold.

• Like 1

Misery doesn't even begin to describe this April.  

Trying to find something good to say.  The only thing I can think of is that when it does hit 50 or above it almost feels like its 75, (as long as the sun is out).

I hope to God this isn't a foreshadowing of the summer.  Nothing worse than fireworks with a chilly breeze and a hoodie. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe this is more appropriate for the winter sports thread, but it’s pretty much died off at this point. I’m in Wausau, WI skiing Granite Peak this weekend, ski’ed last night, snow was the best of the season. I just saw that Mt Bohemia in the Keweenaw is staying open at least until May 6th, and Ski Brule near Iron Mountain is open until the snow is gone, and they have a lot of it. I fat tire biked last week after work on one of our snowfalls.

I realize some folks have to work outside and have seasonal businesses where this just isn’t fun no matter how you look at it, so my apologies for my delight. This is absolutely unheard of in my lifetime - having this kind of snow around here to play with this late in the spring. Right at the two month mark before the days start getting shorter!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spring 2018 Is The Worst said:

I'm really thinking we're gonna have the coldest summer on record too by a long shot. Might be hard-pressed to even hit 80 in July.

Yeah it will be 60 or less from here on out. Maybe it will snow on Fourth of July as well.

• Haha 3

Today's snowfall in Toronto is most likely the last one of the season. With this in mind, it's time to grade this winter. And it's a tough one.

The winter started with a bang from mid-December to early January with snow and cold. Lots of frequent light snowfalls and the result was a picturesque white Christmas. Very cold conditions around New Year's. A break in mid January before coming back in late in the month and lasting until Feb. 10th. After that, a very long drought without any significant winter weather until mid-April when the GTA was affected by a major sleet storm.

In the end, total snowfall was around normal and my final grade for this winter is B-. This month's sleet storm bumped up the grade from a C+. I can't go any lower than C+/B- (despite the lack of big snowstorms) is because the period before Christmas was amazing.

Kind of hard to grade this winter.  The first half was pretty bad, but the Feb train of snows and the late March snowstorm that deposited close to a foot of wet cement made up for it.  Then add in the measurable snows that lasted deep into April.  We finished above average as well.  Guess Ill give it a B+.  Even though we had some very interesting and unusual events late in the season, and finished above average I can't give it anything above that with such a poor stretch during the prime portion of the winter.  Late-season stat padding events are fun, but cannot entirely replace the mid-season events that would have more staying power.

10 hours ago, Toronto4 said:

Today's snowfall in Toronto is most likely the last one of the season. With this in mind, it's time to grade this winter. And it's a tough one.

The winter started with a bang from mid-December to early January with snow and cold. Lots of frequent light snowfalls and the result was a picturesque white Christmas. Very cold conditions around New Year's. A break in mid January before coming back in late in the month and lasting until Feb. 10th. After that, a very long drought without any significant winter weather until mid-April when the GTA was affected by a major sleet storm.

In the end, total snowfall was around normal and my final grade for this winter is B-. This month's sleet storm bumped up the grade from a C+. I can't go any lower than C+/B- (despite the lack of big snowstorms) is because the period before Christmas was amazing.

I'm going to go with a B- for the winter. Still pulled off average snowfall so hard to complain there. And as you mentioned the 'perfect Christmas' we had really was the winter's highlight, and quite a pleasant one at that. After mid-Jan, things went downhill quickly and by early-mid Feb cross country ski season was already done, which was a real bummer for me. Felt like maybe we were going to pull an early spring but the mid-Feb through til today period was a real let-down, minus the fascinating sleet storm of course.

50 minutes ago, hlcater said:

First 2 initials and last name. Probably shoulda clarified that lol.

Ahhh, noice.

Rapid transition towards a more summery look continues.  The leaves on the trees are growing quite quickly, and should be pretty much full grown by later this week.  The wind makes more of a rustling type sound now as it blows through the trees instead of a dull roar like when they're bare.  

• Like 1

I while back I asked about the weather and tulips for Holland, MI.  This weekend I made it there along with a few other places in Grand Rapids and Grand Haven.  A pretty decent weather weekend overall.  The tulips were hit or miss.  Many had not bloomed and a few came early and were damaged by weather.  I did get a few photos anyway.

If you're in Grand Haven, visit Sweet Temptations and have some dark decadence chocolate ice cream.  Nothing better.  

DSCF1618.JPG

DSCF1572.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Ahhh, noice.

Rapid transition towards a more summery look continues.  The leaves on the trees are growing quite quickly, and should be pretty much full grown by later this week.  The wind makes more of a rustling type sound now as it blows through the trees instead of a dull roar like when they're bare.  

Yeah, sure is nice to hear rustling over the roar. 

4 hours ago, Harry Perry said:

Can’t wait for this awesome weekend... :rolleyes:

64EB161C-8DFD-4C14-96F5-33FFACF6B2E4.png

Yeah **** this weekend's weather, I have tickets for the Tigers game on Saturday and it might struggle to get to 50 while south of 80 its in the mid 80s. We've already been punished enough, this **** can end.

• Haha 1