Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

25 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Yes, I was going to point out that the latest run doesn't depict the double digit negative anomalies after Sunday-Tuesday like it had in previous runs, although it still shows an average of below normal temps for the next two weeks.

00z runs were terrible weren’t they? Let’s hope they don’t revert (they probably will).

10 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

I can take highs here in indy in upper 50s low 60s definitely. Anything but crappy highs in the 40s. Things are looking up. I just think it will be a really hot summer. 1936 and 83 were both similar years with March and Aprils being ugly 

The situation in 1936 was pretty unique though - that was the heart of the dirty thirties and really the capstone summer of the dust bowl.  That years heat as the plains baked created a runaway feedback loop.  Farming and land management are so different in the plains, I can't say that heat won't be rivaled, but it will be for different reasons if it is.  

I hope we don't see a summer like that - I remember as a kid my great grandma telling me how her and my grandpa had to sleep outside in Forest Park in St. Louis every night for nearly a month with hundreds of others because it was too hot to sleep indoors.  

7 hours ago, luckyweather said:

The situation in 1936 was pretty unique though - that was the heart of the dirty thirties and really the capstone summer of the dust bowl.  That years heat as the plains baked created a runaway feedback loop.  Farming and land management are so different in the plains, I can't say that heat won't be rivaled, but it will be for different reasons if it is.  

I hope we don't see a summer like that - I remember as a kid my great grandma telling me how her and my grandpa had to sleep outside in Forest Park in St. Louis every night for nearly a month with hundreds of others because it was too hot to sleep indoors.  

Agree. The summer of 1936 actually had several cool downs thrown in there. If you look at the daily figures, we have had many summers that aren't remembered as too hot that didnt include those kind of cool downs. But the heatwaves were so intense and deadly, especially the July one, that I cant see them happening again. 

Also, being such a fan of climate data, I am not a fan of doing things like "well 1936 had a cold spring and look at that summer" in trying to find an analogue. Because while that may be true, I can find years where cold springs meant cold summers. In the weather....you can always find an example of something, but it never totally replicates itself. 

• Like 1

Yah it does seem that the most extreme summers tend to have had decent but short lived cool downs. But only to ramp right back up again to intense heat. Really if you think about it the true extreme hot summers in midwest to the east coast were 1896, 1901, 1930, 33, 34, 36, 53, 54 77, 80, 83, 88, 95, 99, 02, 07, 10, 11, and 12 to this point. The three summers in a row of 2010, 2011, and 2012 were the hottest summers I've experienced

Originally posted this at the end of January in the winter banter thread.

So with ORD only at 10" with January almost over, I ran some stats to see what it suggests where things may end up when all is said and done. 

Hint... it's not good.  Actually, it's even worse than I imagined.  With some minor snow possible in the remaining days of January, I adjusted the criteria a bit to look at seasons with less than 12" through January.  In Chicago's official records, there have been 32 seasons that have entered February with less than 12". How many of those 32 years rallied to finish with above average snow?

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

One.  Only 1 out of 32 rallied to finish snowier than average, which was 1899-1900.  And it barely made it by finishing mere tenths above average.  Some years did rally to within a few inches of average but many ended up like 6-12" or more below average.

So this winter is going to have to pull off something that has almost been unprecedented in order to reach/exceed average.

==========

The snowfall average to date is still slowly creeping up even at this point in April, so ORD will need 1.3" more to clinch above average snow for 2017-18. The weekend system looks likely to end as snow, but will it accumulate enough to put them over the top?  Time will tell.

• Like 2

Please no severe here for any time soon-especially this weekend. The last storm (with the 4 tornadoes in Ohio), the front trees were just trimmed the day before-and still had a branch come off and put a hole in a porch roof. The tree behind my place and the neighbors was knocked down rootball and all. Just a three foot deep and wide hole in the ground now. Fortunately there was only one direction it could fall without causing any major damage, and it fell exactly that way, to the north, taking out only a section of a hedge. 

I really don't want any more power interruptions and tree damage for a while. /end complaining 

*I would like some nice garden variety boomers though, just not the really severe stuff. :)

32 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Kind of feels like they wanted to make a vid that would go "viral".

On 4/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, sokolow said:

Has anyone read The Man Who Caught the Storm, and if so do you have an opinion about it?

I finished this book, and I’m not part of anything skywarn or stormchasing related, so I have no basis to judge the level of accuracy, detail, sensitivity, or critical reflection the author brings to Tim Samaras’ life & legacy in particular or the complex motivations scientific and otherwise that drive researchers and amateurs to participate in what is an inherently dangerous but compelling endeavor in general.

I enjoyed it but I think those of you with the right kind of background would enjoy it more and have more to say about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

This can't be right, can it? 7cad406f5af2df4b979eee2176ddf0b7.gif

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Let's do it.

This cold stretch is not doing anything good for lake water temps, so the lake breezes may be extra nasty this spring. I'm so ready for sustained spring-like weather.

• Like 3