• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

Oh yeah, this right here is just great. Actually this is EXACTLY what I want to see. This trough just decides that it needs to park itself over the eastern conus, because why on earth would we want southern flow anywhere in the central US?

500h_anom.conus.png

Too add on to this, Massachusetts has higher dews than the YUCATAN PENINSULA.

sfctd.conus.png

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Oh yeah, this right here is just great. Actually this is EXACTLY what I want to see. This trough just decides that it needs to park itself over the eastern conus, because why on earth would we want southern flow anywhere in the central US?

500h_anom.conus.png

Too add on to this, Massachusetts has higher dews than the YUCATAN PENINSULA.

sfctd.conus.png

Atrocious. Long range looks like garbage. Any bit of warmth keeps getting shunted like the plague. 

• Sad 1

I don't even remember it getting this cold in April 2014, the other recent example of a winter that wouldn't let go. Most of JFM was brutally cold but by April, temperatures were at least tolerable although still below normal. We sure as heck weren't seeing teens for lows and 30s for highs...and at least we built up a decent snowpack during that winter. Way too many stretches of bare tundra during this one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 11:18 AM, Snowstorms said:

It's funny how almost everyone, besides us in Toronto and Chicago has gotten some type of snow event (>2") since March until now while we haven't gotten crap. Just endless cool weather with nothing to show for it. Pathetic. Now tomorrow nights event is slowly becoming a nuisance on some new guidance, as is next weeks event. I am debating now as to whether there is a snow-dome over Toronto or not. Consider that a new conspiracy :lol:. What a lame garbage winter and spring and I think I have every right to say that now as it isn't just a complaint no more. Smh!! 

It hasn't been much different here in Milwaukee; we did have an early March event of about 4" and this last week's event gave about 2", but besides that it's been cold, windy and largely dry (average wind chill the last three weeks have been in the teens and 20s).  For the season we haven't made it to 40" yet, and I think we'll end up a tad short.  However, with our lake breezes, at least this is not spring weather we're unaccustomed to.

• Sad 2

On 4/4/2018 at 4:07 PM, Hoosier said:

They do get some massive close-in busts though.  I remember a storm a few years ago when the Euro had like 3 feet of snow for NYC a day or two before and I think it went east.

They bust all the time. NYC busted multiple times this winter alone. It's just never talked about outside of there because it doesn't grab headlines as much as an actual storm does. 

36 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I just clicked through the GFS and other than the next couple of days and again on day 9, it depicts below to well below normal temps right on through 384.

2018, the year without a Spring. :axe:

I wonder how all those spring-haters are feeling now? Do they really not yearn for it a bit at this point?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

Well, a year without a spring might be better than 1816 and Mt. Tambora volcano causing the year without a summer.  But who  knows what might yet happen in May and June.

Looks like 1816 meets its match.

Twenty-Hundred and Froze to Death

Seriously, I wonder if the eruptions of Mt. Agung in Indonesia last Fall (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–2018_eruptions_of_Mount_Agung) may have helped form one of the strongest Greenland Blocking patterns on record and the stratospheric warming back in February.

There was a warning from last December about the effects following the eruptions. (https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/885802/Bali-volcano-Mount-Agung-news-update-freeze-climate-change-global-warming-NASA-indonesia)

I've been thinking over the past month, we're going to get a summer colder than last year.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

I just clicked through the GFS and other than the next couple of days and again on day 9, it depicts below to well below normal temps right on through 384.

Ryan Maue tweeted out the euro weeklies yesterday and boy is it ugly, was advertising a very cold start to May. 

1 hour ago, Indystorm said:

Had not read about the volcano.  I wondered what might have caused the intense Greenland block.  Only read about stratospheric warming.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Agung eruptions have been significant enough to have an effect on the climate.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, CheeselandSkies said:

I don't even remember it getting this cold in April 2014

That's because it didn't. April 2014 was tropical compared to this. I'm 40, and I've never experienced anything remotely close to an April like this. Well, I did.....but that was in 1982 when I was 4 years old.

• Like 1

This is getting absurd. I thought 2016 and 2017 were a bit too boring but then 2018 came along and said "Hold my beer." What in the actual hell is this? My interest in weather is "gone" now because of it. What is a tornado outbreak? I forget what that is.

Aside from one interesting non-severe thunderstorm in September of last year, nothing since then has really been neat/noteworthy. This last winter had nothing of value whatsoever so I rather it was 2011-2012 instead because then at least there was less of it. I wish I was in a warm climate to miss it entirely because not a single lake effect band did anything except something moderate on Christmas Day. No winter storms. I absolutely hated this March we just had and ranks up there for most miserable. Now we're 1/3rd into April and so far this is the single worst April weather I've ever lived through. I'm stunned at the magnitude of atrociousness. It is a VERY bad sign when its being compared to 2014...I would sooner move to Arizona than experience anything like that again. My loathing of 2014 is unbridled and without limits. I should've moved to southern Arizona in late 2013.

I haven't followed weather closely due to the exceptional spell of mundane except maybe this small thing: the first 20ºC day. There is that contest with the UW weather station for when it first reaches that and seeing how long we go without getting over could be fun to follow. In at least 20 years its never gotten past April 19th but that sure will happen with this pattern. My concern is this Thursday where it will be the closest yet to 20ºC. Here's hoping that doesn't get wrecked too by Thursday's warmth spike. I thought in 2014 it would be May the way things were but there is always a sneaky spike to screw the "streak".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Long range GFS shows more zonal flow and warming after next week. I don’t see anymore ridicously cold (30’s for highs) on GFS (other models - do still show it - 12z GEFS says 20’s for highs next Monday - STOP.) CIPS saying we’ll jump from this to above normal by June - May being the transitional month. 

At this point, though - if we started May out with 70’s and 80’s (not likely to happen) - I would still personally call 2018 - the year without spring in modern history. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IWXwx said:

19 minutes ago, Harry Perry said:

Long range GFS shows more zonal flow and warming after next week. I don’t see anymore ridicously cold (30’s for highs) on GFS (other models - do still show it - 12z GEFS says 20’s for highs next Monday - STOP.) CIPS saying we’ll jump from this to above normal by June - May being the transitional month. 

At this point, though - if we started May out with 70’s and 80’s (not likely to happen) - I would still personally call 2018 - the year without spring in modern history. 

Yes, I was going to point out that the latest run doesn't depict the double digit negative anomalies after Sunday-Tuesday like it had in previous runs, although it still shows an average of below normal temps for the next two weeks.

• Like 1