• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

Following a long, boring winter for this part of the Midwest, I might as well start off the Spring complaint thread by moaning about getting fringed by SNOW this morning and it looks like it will happen again this weekend. So winter kicks sand in my face by fringing me with storms to my SOUTH.... in MARCH.

Spring, oh Spring, where art thou?

complaint-box1.jpg

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Never thought I'd be one to be looking forward to snow in late March, but it has been so blasted dry we need all the precip we can get any way we can get it.

Yes I hope the faucet gets turned back on soon, my yard is like cement.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

**** a northeast wind

I feel you.  Three straight days of wind chills in the 20s in mid afternoon is brutal, and to top it off we get to hear all about the major snowstorms around us (particularly the East Coast) and at least in my case I have lower wind chills than they've had to deal with.  Tough to swallow.

• Like 1

About to finish March, not to forget the second half of February, without a single snow event (minus localized LES) in Toronto. I don't know what to say. No warmth in sight and watching storms make sudden shifts south as the block suppresses them, has made this the most frustrating and disappointing winter/start to spring I've ever seen. I put this winter up there in the likes of 2011-12 and 2015-16. On top of that, we haven't seen a single storm this entire month and it's what March 23? like wtf! 

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

About to finish March, not to forget the second half of February, without a single snow event (minus localized LES) in Toronto. I don't know what to say. No warmth in sight and watching storms make sudden shifts south as the block suppresses them, has made this the most frustrating and disappointing winter/start to spring I've ever seen. I put this winter up there in the likes of 2011-12 and 2015-16. On top of that, we haven't seen a single storm this entire month and it's what March 23? like wtf! 

How can you put this winter, as a whole, in the same category as 2011-12? 15-16 there's more of an argument, but the winter of 2017-18 is nowhere near being in the same conversation as our futility winter.

At least we'll be turning wetter starting next week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

How can you put this winter, as a whole, in the same category as 2011-12? 15-16 there's more of an argument, but the winter of 2017-18 is nowhere near being in the same conversation as our futility winter.

At least we'll be turning wetter starting next week.

This. 

Snowstorms is totally over-reacting. 2011-12 was a BUST with block capitals. Horrible, near record warm December. Compare that to this year where we not only had snow for the run-up to Christmas, but snow ON Christmas Eve and Day, followed by an epic cold snap. This winter, according to Doug Gillham of TWN, averaged out almost dead on normal in the temperature department, maybe slightly below. You simply cannot compare this winter to those of 2011-12 and 2001-02.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

This. 

Snowstorms is totally over-reacting. 2011-12 was a BUST with block capitals. Horrible, near record warm December. Compare that to this year where we not only had snow for the run-up to Christmas, but snow ON Christmas Eve and Day, followed by an epic cold snap. This winter, according to Doug Gillham of TWN, averaged out almost dead on normal in the temperature department, maybe slightly below. You simply cannot compare this winter to those of 2011-12 and 2001-02.

Speaking for only myself, though 2011-12 was bad (around 30" here in Milwaukee) being a mild winter actually redeems it compared to an average temperature winter like this one that was devoid of any major storms.  Threading the needle on occasion in a mild winter is better in my book than missing a lot of storms in a colder (relatively speaking) winter.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

This. 

Okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, haha. But regardless, I don't see how this winter can be graded any better than a C. From mid February right thru today (we'll say through March 31st cause nothing is on the horizon), not a single snowstorm. December started off mild and January was a write-off. Had it not been for some LES enhancement, this winter would have been worse than last winter snow wise, lol. It's perhaps more comparable to the likes of 2005-06. 

I just hope this winter is the last in this string of bad winters and we turn things around cause I've seen enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snowstorms said:

Okay, maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration, haha. But regardless, I don't see how this winter can be graded any better than a C. From mid February right thru today (we'll say through March 31st cause nothing is on the horizon), not a single snowstorm. December started off mild and January was a write-off. Had it not been for some LES enhancement, this winter would have been worse than last winter snow wise, lol. It's perhaps more comparable to the likes of 2005-06. 

I just hope this winter is the last in this string of bad winters and we turn things around cause I've seen enough. 

Getting sort of tired of saying, "There's always next winter." :axe:

Really, you should consider moving to the Muskoka region. Try and find a job in Huntsville, Bracebridge, or Gravenhurst. Lived there for 2 years, and winter there was WINTER!!!!!!

I'd say a C seems fair for Toronto. It would be ridiculous to compare to 2011-12 though lmao. 

I'd give this winter a B+ here as it stands now. Met winter was an absolute solid A, but Nov had no measurable snow (despite numerous days with flakes in late Oct and Nov) and Mar has been complete zzzz after it roared in like a windy snowy lion on the first day, so that is why I go B+. With unseasonable cold looming to start April, if the pattern produces snow-wise here, I could easily go up to A-.

This current storm is gonna push this winter into solid B territory. Despite the no snow first 3 weeks of December, we had a nice run from Christmas eve followed by record cold during early January. Then the second half of January largely failed to show up until the amazing early February stretch that pretty much carried this winter. Snow every day for a week straight was unusual here and it was awesome. This would have been a C- winter by itself. Then we the storm we just got was fantastic. 2 hours of thundersnow, followed by a nice steady moderate day time snow for a total either side of 9". This winter is odd in the sense that nearly all of our snow here came during 3 periods with sizable lulls of nothing in between. 

• Like 2

Screw zone in the middle notwithstanding, last night's Euro was even more impressive, especially with how widespread and far south it has snow.  This would be a decent looking map for the middle of winter but it's just silly heading into April.  Probably not actually going to see such widespread snow... or let's just say it would be getting into rare territory.

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2018032600_240_35_323.thumb.png.d3baa8f5431555c298484e85c7546451.png

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OHweather said:

It looks like trackable snow threats will continue straight into the first half of April this year north of the Ohio River.  Impressive -EPO and -NAO induced cold shot later this week lingering through at least the first 10 days of the month.  Some signal for potentially decent snow as the cold really moves in around April 3-6th.  The 12z Euro was rather amusing with a high-ratio snow for parts of the region April 4th-5th with temps in the 10s/20s where it's snowing.  

MealyMildKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Screw zone in the middle notwithstanding, last night's Euro was even more impressive, especially with how widespread and far south it has snow.  This would be a decent looking map for the middle of winter but it's just silly heading into April.  Probably not actually going to see such widespread snow... or let's just say it would be getting into rare territory.

The 240 hr 12z euro snowfall map is the snowiest 10 day period the euro has shown for Ohio all winter long....and it's not even winter anymore.   Unreal.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, andyhb said:

MealyMildKilldeer-size_restricted.gif

Exactly. It is ****-ing spring. Time for tracking severe weather threats down south and getting psyched for chasing.

OTOH, the closest thing the upper Midwest/Great Lakes has ever had to an April 27th, Palm Sunday 1965, occurred in the midst of a winter that refused to go quietly with cold and snow lingering over much of the affected area in the preceding weeks (or so I've read here). Seems like that had a lot more significant (blizzard-type) snowstorms, though. Just had some little showers pop up and moisten the parking lot, and it's the first precipitation I recall seeing in at least two weeks, since that snow I was semi-psyched for a couple days ago missed us to the southwest.

Seriously?.....

Tonight
Showers, mainly after 8pm. Low around 45. South wind 15 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Tuesday
Showers. High near 56. South southwest wind 15 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Tuesday Night
Showers. Low around 45. South southwest wind 5 to 8 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Wednesday
A 30 percent chance of showers before 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 59. North northeast wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable.
Wednesday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Light west northwest wind.
Thursday
Showers likely, mainly between 8am and 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Thursday Night
A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 36.
Friday
A 40 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 48.
Friday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers before 2am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 31.
Saturday
A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 50.
Saturday Night
A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
Sunday
A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 51.
Sunday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34.
Monday
Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
  • Haha 2

Up until today, YYZ has only record two days above 45F, lol. Looks like another 2 or 3 more possible before month's end. Average daily high is ~43F. On top of that only 0.24" of precipitation this entire month. Worst March ever! No warmth, no rain, barely any snow and no extreme cold. 

4 minutes ago, zinski1990 said:

Why does a neg nao have to show up and lock in for like 2 months when we don't want it? Miserable stretch of crappy weather except for the March 24 snow. Hate temps in the 40s and lower 50s most 

At least you had that storm.  Many of us have had to put up with these below average days with nothing to show for it.  

• Like 7