Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Snow bomb obs March 21

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/25/2018 at 4:54 PM, CoastalWx said:

I mean to each his own. They all have their charm. I think when you don't have common access to a certain type of area (like mtns or ocean) they can be more appealing. I do find myself enjoying time in the mtns during summer and appreciate the majestic presence they tend to have.  One thing about New England is that we have all this in our backyard. Find me a place where you can get prolific snows for winter events, and water that is at a temp where one is able to swim during the summer. I can't think of one.

Yeah and the beauty of it all is we don't need to board a plane to get to any of it no matter what you want.  I mean in weather and certain aspects we joke about how different various areas of New England are, but the reality is I can hop in my car and be in Boston in 3 hours from right now.   If you want you could be in the middle of the Presidential Range in a similar time (though I don't know BOS traffic, but you know what I mean).

One could watch the sunrise over the Atlantic and then watch the sunset over the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain from BTV that same day...actually, that'd be pretty cool, ha.  But we have so much variety in our 6-state region and it's all driving distance in the course of an afternoon.

Hello,

I've been a lurker here for years and greatly enjoying the extraordinary knowledge, comradeship and excitement of weather. I hope you don't mind my hiding out all this time and suddenly popping up with a post but I just had to weigh in with some thoughts on the earlier discussion of Boston television meteorologists. While just a weather fanboy in my mid 50's who enjoys trying to understand the nuances of the models and discussions, like everyone here I feel a special affinity toward certain Boston TV meteorologists. My thoughts for what they're worth:

Overall I'm in complete agreement with the group's assessment. It's obvious that Harvey is #1 and I also, like you, have always enjoyed Barry Burbank. In earlier years certainly Bob Copeland and Don Kent were two of the very best and Todd Gross was in the mix as well. Back in the '90s I did some of the earliest tornado chasing with a group that traveled with Warren Faidley. We got some press at the time and Mish Michaels asked me to write about it for the WHDH weather almanac. She was a sweetheart and also very good on-air. And I have to give a shout out to Bruce Schwoegler. When I was young and there was a storm on its way, you could sense the excitement in Bruce's voice and mannerisms. He helped build anticipation for the storm -- I loved it. 

(Did anyone see the Channel 4 retrospective on the 40th anniversary of the Blizzard of '78 that was hosted by Barry Burbank? The highlight for me was that Barry interviewed Bruce and I was really pleased to see that he looked so good after all these years. Interestingly he did say that the morning of the storm Don Kent was predicting 6-12 and he came in and upped it to 12-24.)

I always have had a special appreciation too for Bob Ryan. One day in the '70s he announced that they would be going to computer graphics. As a bold teenager I called him up and asked if I could have some of his old printed maps. He was more than happy to have me come down to WCVB and pick up a pile of them. I wish I still had them. Also I had some medical issues back in those days and someone who knew I loved weather reached out to Fred Ward and Fred called me at home to chat. I believe Fred had a doctorate in Zoology if I remember right and on-air he was called Dr. Fred, but he knew weather and certainly was good guy.

But getting back to Harvey for a minute, I've really wanted to say this for some time and your thread gave me the impetus. My company develops communications technology primarily for television stations and as such I work in newsrooms across the country -- something I really love. And I get to watch dozens if not hundreds of on-air meteorologists. Now I certainly haven't seen them all, and there are a handful of very good ones out there for sure. But no one, anywhere that I've ever seen, can hold a candle to Harvey when it comes to the obvious level of skill, experience, fluidity in his presentation and overall gravitas, combined with a clear love of what he does for a living. We're so lucky to have him in this market.

As far as other current Mets that I like today there's Barry as well as Cindy Fitzgibbon, both go-tos mornings and at noon. I do believe Matt Noyes and Kevin Lemanowicz are capable and knowledgeable as well. 

Thanks again everyone for the hours upon hours of enjoyment and education following these threads over the years. 

Rich B., Newton MA

20 minutes ago, skyscan said:

Hello,

I've been a lurker here for years and greatly enjoying the extraordinary knowledge, comradeship and excitement of weather. I hope you don't mind my hiding out all this time and suddenly popping up with a post but I just had to weigh in with some thoughts on the earlier discussion of Boston television meteorologists. While just a weather fanboy in my mid 50's who enjoys trying to understand the nuances of the models and discussions, like everyone here I feel a special affinity toward certain Boston TV meteorologists. My thoughts for what they're worth:

Overall I'm in complete agreement with the group's assessment. It's obvious that Harvey is #1 and I also, like you, have always enjoyed Barry Burbank. In earlier years certainly Bob Copeland and Don Kent were two of the very best and Todd Gross was in the mix as well. Back in the '90s I did some of the earliest tornado chasing with a group that traveled with Warren Faidley. We got some press at the time and Mish Michaels asked me to write about it for the WHDH weather almanac. She was a sweetheart and also very good on-air. And I have to give a shout out to Bruce Schwoegler. When I was young and there was a storm on its way, you could sense the excitement in Bruce's voice and mannerisms. He helped build anticipation for the storm -- I loved it. 

(Did anyone see the Channel 4 retrospective on the 40th anniversary of the Blizzard of '78 that was hosted by Barry Burbank? The highlight for me was that Barry interviewed Bruce and I was really pleased to see that he looked so good after all these years. Interestingly he did say that the morning of the storm Don Kent was predicting 6-12 and he came in and upped it to 12-24.)

I always have had a special appreciation too for Bob Ryan. One day in the '70s he announced that they would be going to computer graphics. As a bold teenager I called him up and asked if I could have some of his old printed maps. He was more than happy to have me come down to WCVB and pick up a pile of them. I wish I still had them. Also I had some medical issues back in those days and someone who knew I loved weather reached out to Fred Ward and Fred called me at home to chat. I believe Fred had a doctorate in Zoology if I remember right and on-air he was called Dr. Fred, but he knew weather and certainly was good guy.

But getting back to Harvey for a minute, I've really wanted to say this for some time and your thread gave me the impetus. My company develops communications technology primarily for television stations and as such I work in newsrooms across the country -- something I really love. And I get to watch dozens if not hundreds of on-air meteorologists. Now I certainly haven't seen them all, and there are a handful of very good ones out there for sure. But no one, anywhere that I've ever seen, can hold a candle to Harvey when it comes to the obvious level of skill, experience, fluidity in his presentation and overall gravitas, combined with a clear love of what he does for a living. We're so lucky to have him in this market.

As far as other current Mets that I like today there's Barry as well as Cindy Fitzgibbon, both go-tos mornings and at noon. I do believe Matt Noyes and Kevin Lemanowicz are capable and knowledgeable as well. 

Thanks again everyone for the hours upon hours of enjoyment and education following these threads over the years. 

Rich B., Newton MA

Wow great first post. Lol I have some Difax charts in my weather pile of stuff. I also have some Air force Sat pics printed out from the 80s.  Glad you are doing well and hey welcome aboard don't be such a stranger.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, skyscan said:

Hello,

Rich B., Newton MA

Totally agree with you.  Pretty much has every human being who has ever watched a weather forecast shares our universal assessment about Harvey Leonard.  He truly is the best there ever was in local television weather.  He did it on a huge stage because no major city in America gets severe snowstorms with such frequency as boston and its immediate suburbs.  Also agree about Bruce.  He looks good and could have easily stayed around all these years doing weekend mornings.  Younger and sexier doesn't always mean better.  Chuck scarborough and jack Williams have had the opportunity to continue in this business into their 70s but in recent memory they're in the minority.  I've never understood the obsession with youth and good looks.  Bill O'Reilly is the most successful host in the 38 year history of cable news.  No one ever tuned into him based on his looks positive or negative.  Bruce was fun and energetic.  In a business dominated by generic personalities there was never anything generic about Bruce Schwoegler. The consultants weren't huge fans of his which is why he was always getting demoted at channel 4 but as I've previously stated most new England television viewers over the age of 35 have very fond memories of bruce schwoegler.

Over the years in my travels I've been impressed with Dallas Raines in LA, Don Noe and Bryan Norcross in Miami and I was really impressed watching Travis Herzog online via the Houston ABC affiliate during the floods last year.  Jim Cantore is the john madden of weather and probably the most popular and well respected national forecaster/weather on scene reporter in America.  Not much of a fan of Al Roker from a weather perspective, but more Americans have watched him deliver a weather forecast than any human alive these past 25 years at the today show.

Did Bob Ryan leave boston voluntarily?  I think he had an offer to do weather at the today show I believe before beginning a very successful career in Washington, dc. In any event everything worked out for him and for dick albert.

Archived