• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Snow bomb obs March 21

Damage In Tolland

I did get a chuckle out of one a well known poster on here explaining the bust on Facebook... especially the part about the public focusing on the high number in a range.  If you know this certain massif poster's style, its hilarious to hear them explain to people how the public focuses on the high range of a forecast.  It's almost like a different person between this board and other postings.

The busted part of the forecast is that the light snow started later than we thought and 2) the 6-12” amounts are going to be more like 3-6”. The other thing the public does is focus on the high number. There’s a range for a reason.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zero complaints. Won't be an A+ due to the anticipated mid winter doldrums....but, damn.

87".... a couple of rare ice events this close to the coast, xmas morning snowstorm, 14" blizzard, record NAO block, 10.5" of sapling snapping paste, rare wind storm that did more damage than most "hurricanes" (tress down on roofs) and a 31" blizzard jack pot for good measure.

May I rest in peace.

22 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Zero complaints. Won't be an A+ due to the anticipated mid winter doldrums....but, damn.

87".... a couple of rare ice events this close to the coast, xmas morning snowstorm, 14" blizzard, record NAO block, 10.5" of sapling snapping paste, rare wind storm that did more damage than most "hurricanes" (tress down on roofs) and a 31" blizzard jack pot for good measure.

May I rest in peace.

Agreed!...........Now any chance for a near repeat for 2018-19? I know wayyyyyyyyy to early!

26 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

May I rest in peace.

Yeah good way to put that in perspective. March was one of the more wilder months I can recall. I may be one of the few that appreciated the early March storm, but that felt like a KU without snow. The ice event prior to Christmas was a 1/25 yr event here.

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

May I rest in peace.

You almost doubled my total. Amazing season for your area!

37 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

You almost doubled my total. Amazing season for your area!

I feel like it was regression to the mean, somewhat. My area has been a relative regional lull quite often over the course of the past dozen seasons or so. I know some don't want to hear that, but...

It feels nice to spank some locales that should be spanked.

5 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Oh yeah I know it well. But it's always interesting the differences just 5 miles makes. Impressive.

Some time this past winter my friend was called to go plow Colony Place. It was raining at my house but apparently it was snowing at Colony Place and they got about 5 inches of wet snow

I'm prepared to give this winter a C-/D+. It gets points for a couple decent events in December, including an inch of snow on Xmas morning, and the extreme cold heading into early January. I believe I bottomed out at -14 one morning, which is mighty cold for these parts. I had two double digit events on the season, which ain't bad either according to climatology. I made out fine in the blizzard, but its occluded imprint was barely sufficient to make up for the garbage that was to come in the rest of the month and much of February. March may be considered historic for a good chunk of this forum--it certainly was extraordinarily active and the coast/power infrastructure took a tremendous battering--but in this weenie's back yard, it was historically fooking mundane. A Feb '10 and a March '13 style circle-j***. First there was the tease of the initial juiced system where we thought, yeah, the airmass sucks, but impressive dynamics would overcome the thermal issues. Not even close. Then we had the paste storm, which was really hours upon hours of non-accumulating white rain followed by three hours of raging thundersnow that amounted to 11". Fine until I saw towns fifteen miles away stacking 20"+ of fluff. Anyway, its appeal was completely undone by the epic dumpster fire that was the last few weeks. First, Ray's historic crush-job, where I was expecting a foot plus, and got suckered by some of the modeling that suggested fgen would lend an assist, but instead sat in subsidence as dense as a neutron star and watched the towns to my west and east get buried. My three inches of slush ran off into the gutter as Ray was doing naked cartwheels and gaining my storm total every hour. Then the finale, the great cosmic dildoing of 2018, the icing on the turd. "Oh, this is southern CT's jack," they said. "Severe impacts expected," NWS advised. Modeling looked great; even the Euro was smoking us until about 36 hours out. And then, the Eurotrash pulled back. "It's all alone; it's not what it used to be. Tossed." Then the mesos began to waver. Fook. Fookedy fooking ****e. Then, after about 12 hours of occasional flakes, pingers and plain rain, the grand finale came and pounded Long Island. Unreal. To conclude, a decade from now, I will probably only remember the bomb-cyclone and will either remember the busts as I do Feb '10, or just scratch my head when Will brings up the great blizzard of March 2018. But hey, at least it wasn't 2012.

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I'm prepared to give this winter a C-/D+. It gets points for a couple decent events in December, including an inch of snow on Xmas morning, and the extreme cold heading into early January. I believe I bottomed out at -14 one morning, which is mighty cold for these parts. I had two double digit events on the season, which ain't bad either according to climatology. I made out fine in the blizzard, but its occluded imprint was barely sufficient to make up for the garbage that was to come in the rest of the month and much of February. March may be considered historic for a good chunk of this forum--it certainly was extraordinarily active and the coast/power infrastructure took a tremendous battering--but in this weenie's back yard, it was historically fooking mundane. A Feb '10 and a March '13 style circle-j***. First there was the tease of the initial juiced system where we thought, yeah, the airmass sucks, but impressive dynamics would overcome the thermal issues. Not even close. Then we had the paste storm, which was really hours upon hours of non-accumulating white rain followed by three hours of raging thundersnow that amounted to 11". Fine until I saw towns fifteen miles away stacking 20"+ of fluff. Anyway, its appeal was completely undone by the epic dumpster fire that was the last few weeks. First, Ray's historic crush-job, where I was expecting a foot plus, and got suckered by some of the modeling that suggested fgen would lend an assist, but instead sat in subsidence as dense as a neutron star and watched the towns to my west and east get buried. My three inches of slush ran off into the gutter as Ray was doing naked cartwheels and gaining my storm total every hour. Then the finale, the great cosmic dildoing of 2018, the icing on the turd. "Oh, this is southern CT's jack," they said. "Severe impacts expected," NWS advised. Modeling looked great; even the Euro was smoking us until about 36 hours out. And then, the Eurotrash pulled back. "It's all alone; it's not what it used to be. Tossed." Then the mesos began to waver. Fook. Fookedy fooking ****e. Then, after about 12 hours of occasional flakes, pingers and plain rain, the grand finale came and pounded Long Island. Unreal. To conclude, a decade from now, I will probably only remember the bomb-cyclone and will either remember the busts as I do Feb '10, or just scratch my head when Will brings up the great blizzard of March 2018. But hey, at least it wasn't 2012.

:lmao:

A+ Melt.

Second blown forecast of the season...both in March...sandwiched in between were two great calls.

I had another brutal call to end last season on April 1...I need to work on late season events. Weakness of mine.

http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com/2018/03/321-322-verification-seasons-second.html

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Yeah Boi!   :frostymelt::cliff:

@Hoth You took the words right out of my mouth.

Two storms saved this winter from being an epic failure, that is Jan 4th and Mar 7th. Other than that it was pretty lame. The other two high end adv/low end warn snows were wet snows that accumulated at night. Many many busts this winter. But ill never forget the epic thundersnows of Mar 7th and 4"/hr rates, that saved this winter from a D/D+

My recent pain of the last two March busts makes me want to give this winter an emotionally charged F...but "objectively" speaking it's probably a C/C+

8 hours ago, Hoth said:

Regression is a b**ch.

6 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

@Hoth You took the words right out of my mouth.

Two storms saved this winter from being an epic failure, that is Jan 4th and Mar 7th. Other than that it was pretty lame. The other two high end adv/low end warn snows were wet snows that accumulated at night. Many many busts this winter. But ill never forget the epic thundersnows of Mar 7th and 4"/hr rates, that saved this winter from a D/D+

My recent pain of the last two March busts makes me want to give this winter an emotionally charged F...but "objectively" speaking it's probably a C/C+

Amen, sir. Technically we exceeded climo, but this felt like a total bust.

Archived