Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Snow bomb obs March 21

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jgMGqJL.gif

Big red flag here from yesterday's GEFS run. Those U wind anomalies show more of a NE vs. E LLJ. Not a lot of momentum to throw precip up over the cold air when the flow is more NE in the mid levels. 

Just a few hours before this from LI and south, those anomalies were more due E.

Also the 21.12z EPS had probabilities of 3" or more for the PSM area at 10% or so. I had a hard time believing that would be correct, but turns out it was a very good forecast. The mean 6" line didn't quite cross LI Sound either.

What's crazy is you would think with the poorer resolution of the EPS it would struggle with these gradients, but that wasn't the case.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Snowing moderately here. Over 2 inches now. Nice to see even if the storm overall is disappointing. 

I agree.  Snow always seems nice to see!  I had about the same this morning when I left at 7. 

I'll have to look when I get home but I think this takes over March 1993 as my snowiest March on record.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, yeah, I get it, it's a weenie snow image.  But how is a model this bad at spitting out snow graphics like this?

I have zero clue how that algorithm works, but it is probably a check to see if the temp is 34 or colder, and if yes it dumps 10:1 snow. The Euro more or less nailed the surface temps on the Cape (34ish). But that algorithm likely doesn't know how deep that warmer air was.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Also the 21.12z EPS had probabilities of 3" or more for the PSM area at 10% or so. I had a hard time believing that would be correct, but turns out it was a very good forecast. The mean 6" line didn't quite cross LI Sound either.

What's crazy is you would think with the poorer resolution of the EPS it would struggle with these gradients, but that wasn't the case.

This is brutal and I love the Euro. 

eps_snow_3_massachusetts_72.thumb.png.f0fb5a8173f59b014335dbe51816d36e.png

eps_acc_snow_massachusetts_36.thumb.png.b3da0d668168b73fad137f6fe4e90f3b.png

48 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Have 1.5” on the driveway, roads are covered but melting where cars have driven.

yes wintery appeal. 

The caution flags were everywhere for this one, not sure why everyone is super upset.  Must have been looking through weenie goggles. 

This Winter is a B-. The March storms were fun, but the rain in January and February was a real downer, if this march snow happened in Jan, and Feb stayed cold with a few snow events it would have been an A. 

9 minutes ago, Hailstoned said:

Never mind "Bomb" or "K.U."; a whole new category needs to be created for this one-- Stingy-Ass Dusting Storm (SAD). Long may it shine in the hallowed hall of records!

It has a name, Its called an FU, And it affected a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Where are the obs in ME? That banding looks healthy and its backed all the way into Millinocket already...Augusta and Portland Look like moderate snow as well...

Moderate snow in Exeter NH; I'd estimate close to 2" right now.

Virga here, But that band has not pivot back to me yet.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Virga here, But that band has not pivot back to me yet.

Yea and it means business. Looks like heavy banding trying to pinwheel into Bangor. DE ME will be New England jp, AWT. But that's not saying much given highest amounts are around 8" in parts of CT (I believe)....

Archived