Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20th-22nd Not So Suppressed Storm Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

I recall that boundary happening during the 80's. This feels like an 80's winter to me, but with snow.

Agreed.  Amazing in such a mild winter we still beat every 1980’s winters snowfall.  

Snow ended here about 10 minutes ago.   Not yet dropping off the trees so it’s a beautiful landscape out there.  

7 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Where are the paste bomb pics from daybreak? :)

Some of the heaviest tree accumulation that I have seen. Protected parts of the Great South Bay near the marinas were able to accumulate several inches of slush on the top of the water. 

1 hour ago, Snowshack said:

The really heavy stuff never really made it out here to Wading river.    10” now settled on deck, still moderate snow 24 hours after it started.  

Certainly will give what was a warm winter a snowy look in the books.  

It hasn't really been a warm winter. November, December, January, and March all had below average temperatures.

Had 10-11" inches of gorgeous looking snow in Whitestone then I come to work in Midtown Manhattan and you would have never known that we had a snowstorm, amazing contrast even moreso than normal. 

Great March storm although I feel for those who got shafted. The last band really delivered for us in Queens, almost doubled the amounts in the matter of about 3 hours. Much needed after the 3 heartbreak storms prior.  I'm ready for spring now.

33 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

3.5 here final.   Big bust.   Congrats LI!  (again)

All of the mesos yesterday hammered Long Island. Really not surprising. Unfortunately there was a wicked dry tongue which extended from SW CT down through the LHV and into parts of NE NJ.

1 minute ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Yeah I don't understand this we had a great winter the only month that was warm was February. This was an above average winter for everybody 

I think the insanely above average February was the cause. We're not talking about a minor warm spell, it was in the mid 80's here for a day and we flirted with 70's numerous times.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think the insanely above average February was the cause. We're not talking about a minor warm spell, it was in the mid 80's here for a day and we flirted with 70's numerous times.

Well I guess I know what you mean but the extremes of this winter beats a lot of the other ones. NYC got above snow, long island and suburbs. Historical cold in january. White Christmas for many. 80's in february. Historical winter in my opinion. I'd take a winter like this any day. Oh let's not forget 4 noreasters. This last one wasn't too windy at least. By the way I live in the Bronx and we got 10-11 Morris park. The 7 inches that fell yesterday were wet, but the snow that fell after midnight was all fluff. It was an interesting storm. Yanks you got into that nice band last night glad u did good. Bring on spring now

16 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

All of the mesos yesterday hammered Long Island. Really not surprising. Unfortunately there was a wicked dry tongue which extended from SW CT down through the LHV and into parts of NE NJ.

I started snowing for real around 3pm but it didn't really accumulate well at any point even though it snowed fairly hard for a few hours, it never really got heavier than moderate. A couple of times after dark it pretty much stopped snowing too. 

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The two warm weeks in January didn't help the perception either. Over 6 weeks of warmth left most folks with the impression that it was a warm winter. That and even though it was crazy cold for a few weeks there weren't any huge storms also led to that perception. Even up here when the cold broke in January we were only at ~20" and people were talking about how they were glad that winters are so short nowadays that they were ok with it having been so cold.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived