Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20th-22nd Not So Suppressed Storm Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This site today was just.... Yeah, I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, about 4 inches in Whitestone maybe a bit more and snowing light to occasionally moderate with big flakes but these rates aren't going to get it done. Roads are wet for the most part.

Going to need that stuff from the ocean to really mean business to verify on the low end of Upton's totals. I'm a bit skeptical but we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Poker2015 said:

I would say bust in a different way. There was no reason to cancel school anywhere in NY/NJ. At most, early dismissal if it's an option. Roads were fine and mostly just wet until close to 4pm

Given all the model guidance and forecasts, they were left with no choice. 

The last thing they want to deal with is a public nightmare, I don't fault them for playing it safe.

1 minute ago, nycwinter said:

maybe nyc could get a foot after all  lol...

Maybe.  I’m inclined to think at the moment if you’re west of the Queens/Nassau border and north of the Raritan your ceiling on additional accumulation is around 6 inches and that may be too much for most. East of there I wouldn’t be shocked if some areas, especially south shore of LI saw 8-10 inches still 

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Given all the model guidance and forecasts, they were left with no choice. 

The last thing they want to deal with is a public nightmare, I don't fault them for playing it safe.

But they cancelled school last night. That was pretty much unheard of until a few years ago. Usually you get the 5am phone call. If they waited until then the models would have changed enough to warrant school because the heavy snow was delayed.

Just now, kat5hurricane said:

This site today was just.... Yeah, I'll leave it at that.

Anyway, about 4 inches in Whitestone maybe a bit more and snowing light to occasionally moderate with big flakes but these rates aren't going to get it done. Roads are wet for the most part.

Going to need that stuff from the ocean to really mean business to verify on the low end of Upton's totals. I'm a bit skeptical but we'll see.

I thought these post finally stopped for the day. Most of NYC has reported 5 or 6 inches and Whitestone has reported 3 inches by a trained Spotter at 150. There's no way you've accumulated only an inch or so in 4 hours. 

15 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

Snow and wind picking up again.  4.5” now compacted down to 3.5”.  Satisfying wintry day

..temp down to 32.5*..I think i finally switched over to all frozen precipitation for good instead 

of this back and forth stuff..maybe an inch out here..roads are wet..hopefully we can play 

catch-up.

Maybe.  I’m inclined to think at the moment if you’re west of the Queens/Nassau border and north of the Raritan your ceiling on additional accumulation is around 6 inches and that may be too much for most. East of there I wouldn’t be shocked if some areas, especially south shore of LI saw 8-10 inches still 
Based on those bands to the South of Long Island? Is that your thinking?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Poker2015 said:

But they cancelled school last night. That was pretty much unheard of until a few years ago. Usually you get the 5am phone call. If they waited until then the models would have changed enough to warrant school because the heavy snow was delayed.

well the city was criticised because one snowstorm years ago the city cancelled schools about 5:00 am..when they should have done it sooner so now the city will close schools early ..if the forecast warrants it...

I don't understand all the "this is a waste of a snowday for schools" comments. I'll guarantee you that on march 21st this will be the last day of the school year that schools will be cancelled baring some widespread power outage. There will be no more "snow days". If they have one available they might as well have used it which it looks like most did

1 minute ago, seanick said:

I thought these post finally stopped for the day. Most of NYC has reported 5 or 6 inches and Whitestone has reported 3 inches by a trained Spotter at 150. There's no way you've accumulated only an inch or so in 4 hours. 

Even I'll claim around 6" in Glendale. I called for around 7" for the City. Probably be an inch or two low. The 4" or so this morning really saved it. Wasn't much at all between 12 and 4:30.

6 minutes ago, seanick said:

What posts?

With all due respect, it's annoying when somebody tells me that I'm making up a measurement so lets just put a stop to that.  I said it could have been a bit more than 4. There might have been a bit of melting after the initial burst so the total might be in the 5-6 range, rates have been fairly light since roughly 2pm but are picking up a bit in the past hour

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

I don't understand all the "this is a waste of a snowday for schools" comments. I'll guarantee you that on march 21st this will be the last day of the school year that schools will be cancelled baring some widespread power outage. There will be no more "snow days". If they have one available they might as well have used it which it looks like most did

well in some cases some schools have already passed their allotted snow days which means kids have to make it up on a scheduled day off..probably in april or may...

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived