Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20th-22nd Not So Suppressed Storm Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moderate snow in Medford, NY. Rates aren't the 4-5 inches an hour that we had for a few hours, but I'd say that we are in at least a 1 inch per hour band. And from the looks of the radar, I think we will get raked by the heavier bands again, as they pivot through. Also looking at the radar, and the snows do not appear to have cleared eastern PA, so those in Suffolk County have several more hours of snow to go.

Incredible storm, and for those of us who have been in these death bands, this will go down as a HECS.

2 minutes ago, Ja643y said:

It does not want to let up here in Centereach. Bands are colliding, pivoting, not really sure tbh... but whatever it is, it seems like it just wants to sit it here for HOURS. 

We went from the SE-NW band pivoting now to NE-SW without any interruption.  I think it's all the same band pivoting over my head since about 9:45.  Double digits now and most of it has fallen since 9:45.  We didn't get the rates that ISP did, but 2" an hour isn't bad.  This radar loop is a keeper for the north shore:

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=OKX-N0Q-1-200

22 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Up to about a foot as well, just pounding snow past few hours. 

Exceeded my biggest snow this season by over 5" and it happened in late March, crazy. 

Only 6.5" in my part of Middlesex County. Somerville in Somerset County reported only 6.2". That's the way it goes in these big storms. Some areas do well while other areas are a huge bust.

2 hours ago, RU848789 said:

We made double digits!  As of 10 pm we have 10.0" on the ground.  Nice!  Still 31F.  If those 25-30 DBZ bands rotating in from the NE can hold together for 2-3 more hours, we might just make 12".  I think 11" is almost a given.  With some of the numbers we're seeing all over the place being 10" or more (or will be) we may owe the NWS some apologies.  I'll admit I was skeptical of getting to 8" let alone 10 or 11". 

We're at 11.25" as of 12:45 am, after my 3rd and final shovel, and still 31F.  Went from moderate to light, non-accumulating snow around 12:30 am, so unless we get some backbuilding, I think that's my final number, just short of my 12" prediction yesterday afternoon.  Will be awake for another hour or so and will watch the radar and remeasure if needed.  If not, wow, what an amazing freaking storm, especially for Spring!  Been a ton of fun tracking, watching, kvetching, whining, and celebrating this storm with all of you and, of course, being out in it to enjoy it - it never gets old, even though we do.  And remember, measure the snowfall at the end of the storm not tomorrow morning, as there is always some compaction (but luckily no melting tonight, which will limit compaction a bit).

3 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Only 6.5" in my part of Middlesex County. Somerville in Somerset County reported only 6.2". That's the way it goes in these big storms. Some areas do well while other areas are a huge bust.

Wow that's odd, I'm located towards the eastern end so that could be why. 

At least cleanup will be easier and after a couple days I think everyone will want the snow to go away regardless and move on to spring. 

Hope the snow piles make it to Easter though.

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

At least cleanup will be easier and after a couple days I think everyone will want the snow to go away regardless and move on to spring. 

Storm total maps are gonna show some pretty intense gradients. Up here there'll definitely be a hole across much of eastern Bergen County. 

4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This was a general 8-12 inches for the NYC area. 

What a great way to end this winter

The city was screwed with the last 3 storms. Finally we got something meaningful.

My winter has been satisfied, bring on the heavy rains and severe weather. Why do I have a feeling April will yield one of our famous several inch rainfall/flood events.

16 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Yeah there's a big difference in totals from eastern Middlesex county to western Middlesex. East did much better than west, the opposite of the last storm. The last storm I got 9 while eastern parts were closer to 4-5. This time I got 6.5 while eastern parts are 8 to 12.

Wow amazing storm...Measured 90 minutes ago and its been snowing heavily since, so should be around 11" now. Sorry I doubted you NWSWill take next measurement at midnight.
Just looked outside... I can't believe how much has fallen in 6 hours... and it's still snowing moderately to heavy here in SW Suffolk...

Really owe NWS an apology...

Wow.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Wow. I'm not too far from you, and only 6.5". Nothing but light snow for the last several hours. What a difference a few miles can make. I'm just a few miles too far to the north and west.

Yeah, sucks to be on the wrong side of the best bands - been there too...

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Up to about a foot as well, just pounding snow past few hours. 

Exceeded my biggest snow this season by over 5" and it happened in late March, crazy. 

First big snowstorm I've had since Jan 2016, though nowhere near that one, it is as much as the late Feb storm in 2010 over here. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived