Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Short Range Model Analysis

Bob Chill

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The 18z suite wasn’t nearly as kind to us as was 12z. It is what it is. Of course, it’s really a out time to just close model tabs and worry about radar and obs, but that wasn’t what I wanted come the afternoon runs.

Please elaborate.  18Z runs will have any accumulation from 12Z subtracted out, of course, so to whom (where) and by how much are they 'not as kind,' in your estimation?

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Is there more to come?

Often it seems the models over estimate start/stop times.  I like to add couple hours from start and subtract from end.  Will it really snow from midnight to 8pm?  Maybe but I doubt it.  

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Often it seems the models over estimate start/stop times.  I like to add couple hours from start and subtract from end.  Will it really snow from midnight to 8pm?  Maybe but I doubt it.  

These storms that run into blocking and have good dynamics have hung around longer than progged on occasion.  I think if it wasn't mid March there would be less worries.  We have a good cold source.  A bowling ball ULL and a coastal at or near the benchmark.  In the words of Cosmo Kramer.  Giddyup!

1 minute ago, SnowGolfBro said:

These storms that run into blocking and have good dynamics have hung around longer than progged on occasion.  I think if it wasn't mid March there would be less worries.  We have a good cold source.  A bowling ball ULL and a coastal at or near the benchmark.  In the words of Cosmo Kramer.  Giddyup!

Agree I’m out there and loving every minute of it.  Fell asleep for a bit.  Wife was telling me about her day and instant sleepage hit me. I’m ready now!

It's getting a little late for model watching, but I was curious about what the 12z RGEM ensemble said about just tomorrow.  So I looked at the 24 hour period from 00z tonight to 00z tomorrow.  This includes the tail end of the first wave and misses the tail end of the second, but close enough.

First mean qpf. 

GT9Om7Q.png

It's below what some of the deterministic guidance is showing, which is at least partially due to the fact that it's an ensemble mean.  But it does give a good idea of which areas are favored with round 2.  And it might be a useful tool for expectation setting.  The 12z RGEM had much more snow than the 12z ensemble mean, but the RGEM (and other guidance) moved towards the ensemble mean at 18z.  If the above plot is where we end up tomorrow, I'll be pretty happy.  And if we get the higher amounts some of the other models have shown, I'll be thrilled.

Here are some probabilistic maps for tomorrow, for the same time period.  A lot of people look like they're in good shape to get at least 15 mm (about 0.6") of qpf as snow.

GuUCyZx.png

Not as many are favored to get at least 25 mm (about 1"), but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone in our area hit that amount.  We probably won't know who until tomorrow though.  And given that the ensemble is on the low end of guidance, more of us might hit the 1" mark than the below map suggests.

4l83EJX.png

7 minutes ago, Ji said:
12 minutes ago, Yeoman said:
Pretty incredible lightning down in NC and SW VA

Probably screwing up our storm

Now SW VA lightning we want.  It means the western low will dominate, or at least is strong enough it will put up a fight.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

That's crossed my mind all day. A ull rolling in like that means business. And it's late March and not Jan. This one is the real deal man. We'll talk about it for years. 

Yep, the Jan 2011 version put down snow in areas at 4 inches  

Thunder-snow was reported in Chester, Montgomery, and Bucks counties during the height of the storm. Snow-fall rates exceeded 4 inches an hour in some spots where very narrow mesoscale bands had set up and become nearly stationary for a couple of hours. These narrow bands produced copious amounts of snow that fell very fast and very hard across portions of the Philadelphia metro area and northern New Jersey. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived