Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Short Range Model Analysis

Bob Chill

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

If you are on here posting about "the rug being pulled" you may need to step back from the computer and go take a nap or something. The models look fine. 

Yeah virtually every model shows a classic look for mid Atlantic snow, whether or not any area gets the primo bands and big totals is unknowable but the euro says we all have a shot. 

5 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Jesus. Why is everyone hugging QPF on models so much. All anyone should be looking at is radar temp and pressure OBS,  and using models only to look at things upstairs. Forget the surface output differences... oy

You are right! This is a very dynamic system. Atmospherics that evolve later tonight and tomorrow will determine who gets what.

I will simplify the equation by predicting that 0 - 500 ft elevation receives 1-5 inches, 500 - 1500 elevation receives 3 - 7 inches, 1500 -4000 ft. rerceives 6 - 15 inches. 

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

If you are on here posting about "the rug being pulled" you may need to step back from the computer and go take a nap or something. The models look fine. 

I had a Ji moment. It just seems like we haven't had a legit snow storm in forever and the last time we did, we were modeled to get 2-3 feet of snow for a week straight and there was no waver. I miss that LOL.

32 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I gotta try and get to sleep early and not keep watching radar blossom to the SW. Qpf between now and 2am is like .05-.2 tops through the region. But the rebirth will be clearly in sight by 10pm or so... I don't drink anymore so I can't go there.... got any dank ideas?

I'll be prepared for my jebwalks...  

10 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nah, we're still going to sweat until the 0z suite is done. There's not a person here who truly doesn't care about the 0z runs. lol

Indeed.  Hopefully, they will come in looking good enough to end some of this despondent (and frankly, awful at times) commentary!  I think some people ignore the fact that the totals showing up from 18Z do not include what was to have fallen today (and which showed up in the earlier 06/12Z runs).  That, and the precise location of the heaviest bands/precip isn't going to be fully known at this point and has oscillated back and forth.

Regardless, tomorrow should be a lot of fun for the entire region!  One topic not discussed much are the brisk winds expected through the evening (though Bob, I think you did say something about it not long ago)...that might add another interesting wrinkle here.

The hardest things for the models to get right is precip type near the boundary and melt quantity while the ground cools. For everyone saying that ground truth isn't justifying the high model outputs, most people lost a couple inches so far to melt bringing the ground temp down, and a few of us lost some due to precip type issues (sleet or rain instead of snow near the temperature boundaries). But these issues will be less of a factor going forward: ground has now been cooled, sun has set, and temperatures at all layers of the atmosphere are soon to be (if not already) well below freezing. There is nothing stopping the next 24 hours from being epic. It will all come down to where the banding sets up, and who gets raked by SN++ from those bands.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived