Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Short Range Model Analysis

Bob Chill

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Looks like the significant snow moves into DC at about 11 hours from now.

i'd be happy if that happens.  part of me thinks we'll need to rely on the precip in southern va to get up here (kinda like jan '11), so anything before that is a bonus.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Someone from E WV to C MD getting 14 inches or so doesn't seem unreasonable. That's 1-2 feet.

We're overcoming the biggest issue by a mile in late march (temps) no problem. I'm sitting at 33 already. Central and northern tier are going to clean up. This one has all the hallmarks of a big event up there. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We're overcoming the biggest issue by a mile in late march (temps) no problem. I'm sitting at 33 already. Central and northern tier are going to clean up. This one has all the hallmarks of a big event up there. 

I mean, don't sell us short down here.  Down to 35 and I'm at work in SE DC.

This is last night's 00z RGEM ensemble run.  It's still good for us, but not as good as the 00z Euro or 06z 3k NAM.  I'll try to update around 2:00 when the 12z run comes out.

First mean qpf as snow.  It cut back a little along I95, but bumped up totals SE of 95.

ZCGPrxc.png

Total qpf increased overall and shifted south a little.

Cmo6LOq.png

I can't generate probabilistic maps for events that last more the 24 hours, so here are the individual ensemble members.

nOac5bQ.gif

Finally one probabilistic map.  This is just for 00z tonight to 00z tomorrow night.  It's been a while since we've seen a widespread map like this - I'm looking forward to reading obs.

ziChbXv.png

Hard to dislike this sounding tomorrow morning:

WSSCSI.thumb.png.3daf93b81c7bf8016a600f7a47cca29c.png

Note the weakly sheared, nearly unidirectional flow from 700-350mb, especially in the moist neutral to weakly unstable layer from 650-400mb. Definitely favorable for banded, convectively-enhanced snow. Or at the very least, very weakly stable, which tends to aid synoptic scale lift. In the case of released instability, lifted parcels will originate at a temperature from about -5 to -10C, meaning supercooled water is entrained into any updrafts that form. This means a mixed-phase cloud is possible that can produce charge separation. I'd say some thunder is possible tomorrow morning and mid-day if these soundings are correct.

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

I actually think it looks better for tomorrow.  CCB better developed over a wider area.

i think one of the trends has been a bit of a slower evolution of the system.  i think 12k looks fine, though doesn't close off quite as nicely as the rgem imo.

7 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Hard to dislike this sounding tomorrow morning:

WSSCSI.thumb.png.3daf93b81c7bf8016a600f7a47cca29c.png

Note the weakly sheared, nearly unidirectional flow from 700-350mb, especially in the moist neutral to weakly unstable layer from 650-400mb. Definitely favorable for banded, convectively-enhanced snow. Or at the very least, very weakly stable, which tends to aid synoptic scale lift. In the case of released instability, lifted parcels will originate at a temperature from about -5 to -10C, meaning supercooled water is entrained into any updrafts that form. This means a mixed-phase cloud is possible that can produce charge separation. I'd say some thunder is possible tomorrow morning and mid-day if these soundings are correct.

You get this way faster than on TT

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Just judging by today I think it's going to bust high on those temps.  It's running a little warm compared the surface analysis right now.    

true, but even if it's colder at the surface, there is still a warm layer around 800 mb that would make it sleety.    we'd still changeover to snow and get nice accumulations, but it would occur a few hours later than desired if the NAM3 is correct.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

true, but even if it's colder at the surface, there is still a warm layer around 800 mb that would make it sleety.    we'd still changeover to snow and get nice accumulations, but it would occur a few hours later than desired if the NAM3 is correct.

Yeah, that's what I noticed.  The 12z NAMS are a bit warmer upstairs for slightly longer vs 6z.  Still a good amount of snow though.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

looks like that upper level low is in no rush, so it could be that we still do pretty well on the 3k.  the banding features are showing up around noon.

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

You get this way faster than on TT

I actually prefer to wait and put this up in Bufkit if at all possible.

The 06 GFS pretty much showed the same thing in Bufkit tomorrow morning, including centering the best lift around the DGZ and entraining supercooled water into any updrafts that do form.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived