SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20-21 Snow and other Observations

KamuSnow

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed your post (as always) but caution slightly about sun angle in march. It is not garbage and has to be completely ideal in late march as you said. Tomorrow will be much lower snow ratios at 30-32 compared to this same storm hitting in dec- jan at same temps, or for example Blizzard of march 93 hitting with a lot of eastern pa in 20s during day (one of my favorites of all time.)

Yes, I stress 'ideal conditions'. Just shocked when I walked out to that much ice accretion. I had always pretty much thought it was an unwritten rule that fzra just doesn't happen after the Ideas of March at the very latest, especially down this way. Guess I was wrong.

59 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

I’m an old fart and cannot recall anything like this forecast in spring. I missed 58 by 3 Year’s.  Heard many a story from relatives and friends from that time. 

Also, as I posted last night I wasn’t feeling historic just fits right into the underdog effect that brought the Lombardi to my city.

28 mix sleet/sn

I don't think of myself as an old fart, denial can be useful at times :-). I recall 1958 vaguely (I was in kindergarten) and while I don't remember the storm specifically, what I do remember was checking outside for snow when I got up the 2 mornings before and noticing it looked frosty outside (snow must have been in the forecast, I guess). The next memory is walking into our house through a 30" high shoveled path with warm temperatures and sun and lots of water around from snow melting. We also had a big old generator running for a week. So, I remember before and after but not the actual storm. Same for Hazel in 1954. And I remember those storms being talked about of course. 

More on topic, really looking forward to tomorrow, and it's great to be able to share in the anticipation. Subject to the usual caveats - the weather will do what it will do and no guarantees of course!

4 minutes ago, tcutter said:

Whatever happens tomorrow either 18 & 24 hour out model runs will be right or a 12 hour out model run will be correct. This is disappointing that in 2018 modelling can be very wrong within 24 hours or less

Don't blame the programmers, blame the sampling data and the partial differential equations that drive these technological terrors.

One of my brother-in-laws was driving back to Delco from Ohio and according to my sister, he ran into a PA turnpike closure due to a truck accident last night around Morgantown in Berks Co and had to go through the nightmare of navigating icy backroads up there before finally getting back on the turnpike.

Temps shot up overnight after 10 pm and peaked at 36F here @ 2am.  They have been on a slow downward crawl.  However had plain rain out there for the past 30 minutes and whatever accretion on trees/metal fences, etc., sortof melted off and the rain has soaked into the 1/2" of sleet/snow mash that had frozen over earlier.  Currently 33 with light snow now.

Archived