Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20-21 Snow and other Observations

KamuSnow

3 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Where's KamuSnow's snow pile? (finished product)

2 hours ago, SP said:

For some reason I never can view the pictures he is attaching?

I am sure he is having a blast with the cat!!

28 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

By the time I had gotten into the thread, I couldn't see it either (although I see his other pics just fine). Not sure if he deleted it (maybe to make room for later pics)?  I do know there is a bobcat that prowls around my complex (for snow removal/landscaping, etc) so I had a good idea of what his pic looked like. :lmao:

Am surprised at how fast this stuff is melting, although I shouldn't be since it is March.  The temp is higher than I expected (41 currently) but then this stuff was much lighter than the 3/6-3/7 storm so it might disappear faster.

Here it is (from earlier this morning)! Actually finished it last night, and dressed it up by hand a little so it wouldn't look like a mall parking lot snow pile (the bucket had some dirt and rust on it). It's close to 8' high, but not quite. Probably tied by the one from Feb. 2014, but that one evolved over 3 or 4 weeks of snow events. We are pleased! Took about 3 hours altogether so it saved a lot of time, and obviously a lot of energy too. Odds are good that it will make it beyond March 31st. Fun stuff!   Not sure about the attachment issue - I did have to delete a bunch to free up space, which I did before I posted. In fact it was there last night.Snowpile-via-bobcat_3-22-18.thumb.jpg.371be354bb0fcfc763319683c38dc290.jpg

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished with 8.0" here. Thought we might get more, but hey it's March, we've had over 22" here this month, it's the weather, it snowed all day, and even had enough to work with the machine. It looks great out there! I imagine that as cool as the temps look to be overall through the end of the month there could be plenty of snow patches in the CWA come April 1st, barring a warm rain event. We still had a little in the back almost 2 weeks after the last significant snow on March 7th (technically snow on snow, in spots). This has been my kind of March!

5 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Here it is (from earlier this morning)! Actually finished it last night, and dressed it up by hand a little so it wouldn't look like a mall parking lot snow pile (the bucket had some dirt and rust on it). It's close to 8' high, but not quite. Probably tied by the one from Feb. 2014, but that one evolved over 3 or 4 weeks of snow events. We are pleased! Took about 3 hours altogether so it saved a lot of time, and obviously a lot of energy too. Odds are good that it will make it beyond March 31st. Fun stuff!   Not sure about the attachment issue - I did have to delete a bunch to free up space, which I did before I posted. In fact it was there last night.Snowpile-via-bobcat_3-22-18.thumb.jpg.371be354bb0fcfc763319683c38dc290.jpg

Almost looks like there's a Han Solo encased in carbonite....errr...snow... in your pile! :lmao:

Great job!!!:clap::thumbsup:

36 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Thanks I can see that pic :)  How much driveway did you have to clear??

34 minutes ago, SP said:

Thanks I can see that pic :)  How much driveway did you have to clear??

600 feet for the driveway (tried doing the path out back but the Bamboo said no after about 50 feet). Took a break halfway through for dry pants (from being snowed on) and a brain break - I don't do this often enough for it to be second nature, so I need to focus pretty good and after an hour and 20 minutes I was ready for a break. Plus I'm used to having the bucket controls on the levers and this one was with foot pedals only. Doing 180's in the snow was easy :-).

6 hours ago, BBasile said:

Cool image with all the new snow cover. Shows how widespread this storm was. 

rps20180322_121613.jpg

See that little blue "screw zone" in southwest PA?  That's basically where I am, haha.  Anyone know where this March ranks in terms of "snowiest" for the PHL region?  I have to imagine it's up there.

600 feet for the driveway (tried doing the path out back but the Bamboo said no after about 50 feet). Took a break halfway through for dry pants (from being snowed on) and a brain break - I don't do this often enough for it to be second nature, so I need to focus pretty good and after an hour and 20 minutes I was ready for a break. Plus I'm used to having the bucket controls on the levers and this one was with foot pedals only. Doing 180's in the snow was easy :-).

Almost bought one. They are a hoot.

I prefer levers too. Actually a 4WD tractor with all the goodies is my favorite. Diesel of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jwilson said:

See that little blue "screw zone" in southwest PA?  That's basically where I am, haha.  Anyone know where this March ranks in terms of "snowiest" for the PHL region?  I have to imagine it's up there.

On the 6pm newscast Glenn said it's the 2nd snowiest March as of now and will probably stay that way since I don't see any more snow in the future...

3 hours ago, SP said:

Almost bought one. They are a hoot.

I prefer levers too. Actually a 4WD tractor with all the goodies is my favorite. Diesel of course.

Yes they are - I've looked too occasionally (for used ones), they are pretty pricey. This one was an S70, small bucket, but it did great.

Do you have a tractor? I've looked at Simplicity (Legacy) as a tractor that does a nice cut and has a loader attachment available (and a diesel version too).

4 hours ago, jwilson said:

You might have mentioned this before, but how did you do this winter overall there, and compared to normal?

10 hours ago, jwilson said:

This got posted in Mt. Holly's AFD's climate section this morning -

&&

.CLIMATE...
It has been a snowy March this year, and the four climate sites with
snowfall data are now in their top 5 snowiest March`s on record.

Snowiest March`s on Record...

Philadelphia - Currently tied for second.

1) 17.7" in 1941
2) 15.2" in 2018
2) 15.2" in 1914
4) 13.4" in 1958
5) 12.4" in 1993

Allentown - Currently at fourth.

1) 30.5" in 1958
2) 21.6" in 1993
3) 21.3" in 1960
4) 20.7" in 2018
5) 18.3" in 2017

Wilmington - Currently at second.

1) 20.3" in 1958
2) 14.2" in 2018
3) 13.9" in 1993
4) 13.4" in 1960
5) 13.3" in 1914

Atlantic City - Currently at fifth.

1) 17.6" in 1969
2) 15.6" in 2014
3) 13.4" in 1960
4) 12.7" in 1956
5)  9.2" in 2018

1-Day Snowfall Records in March...

Atlantic City, 5.7 inches on 3/21/18 is the 7th highest.

Wilmington, 6.7 inches on 3/21/18 is the 6th highest (2-day total of
8.1 inches is tied for the 7th highest).

Allentown, 13.2 inches on 3/21/18 is the 4th highest behind 16.7
inches on 3/13/93, 16.5 inches on 3/20/58 and 13.8 inches on
3/3/60.

&&

Yes they are - I've looked too occasionally (for used ones), they are pretty pricey. This one was an S70, small bucket, but it did great. Do you have a tractor? I've looked at Simplicity (Legacy) as a tractor that does a nice cut and has a loader attachment available (and a diesel version too).

I rent them but have looked at both cats and tractors used. I almost pulled the trigger a few years back but when I wanted to build a new barn the code requirements for zoning got in the way.

I have a neighbor who has been selling his collection of restored tractors and such and there have been a few great choices but storage has always been the issue.

At this point I don’t see it happening as we plan to downsize once the kids are all off.

I do have to rebuild my PA driveway and parking area so a rental is in my future.

Simplicity, deere and ford tractors have all worked well for me.

41 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I'd be lucky to have 4-5" left (not snow mounds)and less in some areas. Most likely will see some lawn-age by the end of the day.

We lost a lot of depth here yesterday already, due to it being a little dryer snow than last time. At least it got down to 29F last night, that helps.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Get some cans of white spray paint for the pile Kamu, the sun is harsh this time of year

You're not kidding! Probably 2/3 of the front yard is grass already. And the back of the snow pile faces south and didn't get the clean snow dressing up that the front did, so all that dirt etc. will accelerate the melting from the back. Oh well, lol. Still think it will make it past March 31st.

5 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Grass was showing plenty yesterday. Maybe all snow will be gone today. News said we got 12 inches but I doubt it. Philly got 7.6, Mantua got 8, and a small couple of miles in between got 12? Fake news lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You need a measuring device!

23 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

You might have mentioned this before, but how did you do this winter overall there, and compared to normal?

Finished with 18.25" on the year, which is 9" below normal.  Four of the last five winters have been below normal.  2015/16 was saved only by that one January storm, otherwise we'd be batting 1.000.  In terms of days with snow of some kind, it was a fairly large improvement on last year (18 days with snow vs. 11), but only a 3" difference in total snowfall.  As you can probably imagine, the biggest event this year was 3" (early January).  Then there were four 2" events with everything else being nuisance chuff.

One notable reason is the last four Februaries have been absolute duds.  I think that's the same for Philly.  Seems like we haven't had a decent February storm (and snowfall) since 2010?

9 hours ago, jwilson said:

Finished with 18.25" on the year, which is 9" below normal.  Four of the last five winters have been below normal.  2015/16 was saved only by that one January storm, otherwise we'd be batting 1.000.  In terms of days with snow of some kind, it was a fairly large improvement on last year (18 days with snow vs. 11), but only a 3" difference in total snowfall.  As you can probably imagine, the biggest event this year was 3" (early January).  Then there were four 2" events with everything else being nuisance chuff.

One notable reason is the last four Februaries have been absolute duds.  I think that's the same for Philly.  Seems like we haven't had a decent February storm (and snowfall) since 2010?

Interesting that normal where you are is probably close to where you were here. The pattern of the last 2 winters there sounds like here in 2011-12 and 2012-13. So maybe next winter there? 2013-14 did have a pretty snowy February, but since then it's been 4 in a row of meh, like you said. I might have to check 2015 to be certain though. Might have been better north in the CWA.

Archived