Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 20-21 Snow and other Observations

KamuSnow

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I crashed quickly last night before the snow had stopped. My goal was to stay up til 1 for one last snowboard clear but I didn't make it...the week of late night model watching had finally caught up. Had an inch on it this morning so no doubt there was probably more but officially ending at 10.5" storm total. 2nd most in any March storm in my lifetime and only the 2nd time in my lifetime hitting double digits in March. 1993(when I was 3 and remember the sleet/losing power more than the snow) had 11.5" here remains #1 but this will be more memorable to me. First time in my life receiving 2 storms of 6+" in March as well and with 20" of snow on the month is officially the snowiest March of my lifetime. Safe to say the pattern change that Ralph and I discussed on end beginning in January was delayed but not denied. Definitely one of the most memorable stretches of winter weather in my life. If you told me back in Mid-Feb that I would finish the season above 40" I would have thought you needed to be committed :lol:

5 hours ago, SmokeEater said:

Can not stress enough the tree damage down here, it's immense. 

Must be from ice?  The trees here are sagged out with some touching the ground, but I haven't seen any down.  

1 hour ago, LVLion77 said:

Unfortunately in late march it will be disappearing rapidly for all of us except north facing hills!

That's ok with me, honestly.  Let it snow!  Let it melt!  I'm ready to de-winterize the Sea-Doo.  

34 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Trace of snow in July? Is that an error ie hail report input as snow? That is crazy!

Good catch.  Must be an error.  'Snow in July' turned up no results.  

Looks like around 11 here (no snowboard, just final total in yard).  with the 16 we had for the last storm, I'd say this is the best March ever around these parts.

And yet another storm you weren't 'feeling it'. Totally understand the conservative approach though, especially in March. I had 7-14" for most of SE PA and aside from a few lollis over that range in Upper Bucks, nailed it. Think I'll go enjoy a Whopper today after snowblowing :-)

Don't want to put a final number out there because I never officially measured and would have an uncertainty of at least +/-2", so I'll just say it was plenty (>6"). Great storm, with 2 days of impacts and widespread 6-12+" totals. Wish the website could've handled all the traffic during go-time, but I guess thems the breaks when you get the MA, Southern and Northern Tri-state areas all involved in the same system. I don't know if anything can compare to Superstorm March '93 (was 9yo living in SW NJ at the time and is when my love/fascination with snow and the weather began) but this one comes close. Great day personally too with a bit of work, play, relaxing, and being out in it. Perfect snow for packing and/or sledding. Very scenic too with all the tree/fence stickage. Glad this system saved the winter or was at least a big ol' consolation prize for those who got the shaft all season. Also pleasantly surprised this Miller B did so well here. Usually for our geography the B stands for Bust/Boston. Be safe and enjoy, everyone!

Done clearing. Whew.

Measured around and mostly 13-15 inch depths.

Now that’s not a proper method obviously.

I would go 13.5 though a true board measuring process would likely have shown more because of the early layers and compacting.

Regardless this was an awesome event and fun to watch in late March.

Check please. Time for golf🏽‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

And yet another storm you weren't 'feeling it'. Totally understand the conservative approach though, especially in March. I had 7-14" for most of SE PA and aside from a few lollis over that range in Upper Bucks, nailed it. Think I'll go enjoy a Whopper today after snowblowing :-)

yeah, I was pleasantly surprised.  But, most of extreme SEPA didnt go much higher then my range of 6-8".  The long duration after nightfall certainly helped here.  I only had 6-7 at nightfall.

8 minutes ago, SP said:

Done clearing. Whew.

Measured around and mostly 13-15 inch depths.

Now that’s not a proper method obviously.

I would go 13.5 though a true board measuring process would likely have shown more because of the early layers and compacting.

Regardless this was an awesome event and fun to watch in late March.

Check please. Time for golf....

I just got in from taking most of an 8" layer off the SUV and need to do the finer clear off after taking a break.  But did you find your snow was much lighter than expected?  I found that mine was way more powdery than the slop from the 3/6-3/7 storm.  I would say pretty close to 10:1.

I just got in from taking most of an 8" layer off the SUV and need to do the finer clear off after taking a break.  But did you find your snow was much lighter than expected?  I found that mine was way more powdery than the slop from the 3/6-3/7 storm.  I would say pretty close to 10:1.

Bottom was dense but the top foot was definitely fine and easy to clear with the thrower.

I think the biggest surprise for me was how light the snow was after that first layer of sleet and slush. Really was not a wet snow at all around here which thankfully limited the tree damage in these parts. Reading reports in SNJ, it sounds like they were not as lucky especially since they were plain rain before changing over. Seems like it was a very wet snow like march 7 down there. Thankfully it wasn't like that region wide. Also was pretty impressive we saw the accumulation during the day that we did(7.5" @ 7 pm) despite not having great snow growth for most of the storm. For late March, we did great.

2 hours ago, SP said:

For some reason I never can view the pictures he is attaching?

I am sure he is having a blast with the cat!!

By the time I had gotten into the thread, I couldn't see it either (although I see his other pics just fine). Not sure if he deleted it (maybe to make room for later pics)?  I do know there is a bobcat that prowls around my complex (for snow removal/landscaping, etc) so I had a good idea of what his pic looked like. :lmao:

Am surprised at how fast this stuff is melting, although I shouldn't be since it is March.  The temp is higher than I expected (41 currently) but then this stuff was much lighter than the 3/6-3/7 storm so it might disappear faster.

Archived