ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My snow took a beating yesterday. Depth went from 14" to about 8" average. But it froze up solid last night so now it might hang on a few days. But it's Spring I'm not complaining. I'm ready for warm now. I got my one big storm. I'm happy.

my 3 year old is funny. He was upset when he saw the water dropping off the roof yesterday and said oh no the snow is melting. And I tried to placate him by pointing out soon we can play outside with his toys and tractor and go to the park and open the pool...and he said I like doing all those things but I don't want the snow to melt. Lol.  Just like me. 

On 3/22/2018 at 1:15 PM, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

So I guess it wasn't simply elevation-dependent.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

So I guess it wasn't simply elevation-dependent.

one thing i noticed during the storm which concerned me a bit is the low circulation was almost right overhead.  i think we needed that 500 and 850 low further south (not to mention it didn't really phase until offshore), so it's not surprising to me that areas to the north or even east did better.  we kinda did end up in the screw zone in the afternoon hours, to an extent.

Snow cover is doing very well here.  Roofs of houses that face south still have several inches.  Across my property depth ranges from 6" to 9" after two days of sun and highs in the mid 40's.  All the local baseball, softball and lacrosse practices and games are cancelled this weekend with fields still 100% covered.  My 7:00 a.m. snow depth reports this week look great for late March.

3/24--   7.0"

3/23--   9.0"

3/22-- 12.0"

3/21-- 10.0"

On 3/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, psuhoffman said:

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

Son REALLY wants me to move out there when I retire in 4-6 years. It is enticing, to say the very least.

Every time I go out there to visit it is a bit harder to board the plane back lol. Headed out  for two weeks in May. Already was out there in Feb and likely will go back in late July. Now if I could just find a house for a decent price in the area........:wacko:

My snow took a pounding from the sun angle yesterday, I called it a 1.5 on average with south facing slopes going bare, down from 4 and 8 and 8 previous days.

33 minutes ago, T. August said:

Crazy that some still have coverage. I lost 100% by yesterday morning. That stuff was blasted to oblivion.

Yeah I still had about 70% coverage(2-3") yesterday morning, but by the end of the day most of of it was gone. A 7" snowfall with 2 full days of late March sun and temps in the mid to upper 40s is not going to be around long.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, psuhoffman said:

I have family in Denver and have been out there dozens of time. Probably will move to a mountain town like Steamboat. 

If Parrs were 3000 ft it would be like Cannan Valley. Not quite as much upslope because the ridges to the west take out some of that moisture but would get obliterated even more then they do and I already do from coastals. 

If there was a 3000 ft hill on the middle of the eastern shore there would be a bunch more snow too lol. Unfortunately, 60-100 feet is about the max.

Archived