Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow hanging on and not completely wiped out as a few were spouting earlier

areas that receive sun from 8am on are grassy now but completely shaded areas still have 2.5-3"

i would say 75% of my yard still has 2"+ and sun effect will be over in about 2 more hours so going to carry mostly snow cover overnight 

1 hour ago, supernovasky said:

Ah yes, that 2-4" section right over my house in Gaithersburg surrounded by a sea of 4-6". I'm so pissed lol. Glad all of the rest of you got a great storm though.

Since you are new to The Hole -- in the future consider driving a short distance to see some good snow in a similar event.  A few years back we had a rain-to-snow event that was predicted 3-6" or so that busted to just a slushy coating.  I drove up I-270 and out I-70 to a small park right off the highway just east of Boonsboro.  There was about 6-7" on the ground and snowing heavily with cottonball sized flakes.  It was just 33 miles from the house.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I melted the snow that fell into the larger outer cylinder of my rain gauge.  1.43" liquid compared to my snow total of 13" is not quite 10:1 but close.  Considering I mixed with sleet at times I guess it makes sense.  Also, I don't think any model was predicting that much qpf for Carroll.

1 hour ago, Sparky said:

Not sure how accurate this is, but I melted the snow that fell into the larger outer cylinder of my rain gauge.  1.43" liquid compared to my snow total of 13" is not quite 10:1 but close.  Considering I mixed with sleet at times I guess it makes sense.  Also, I don't think any model was predicting that much qpf for Carroll.

That's a little over 9:1 ratios - almost exactly what I got here when I tried to measure ratios for yesterday's snow.

2.4 acres. takes a while to take care of but I like doing yard work so it's ok. 
Wait till you're old
My parents have 14 acres and it's like

How long you gonna keep doing that

I've guy 2/3 which is more than enough - helps that I back up to an unused portion of rock creek

Just now, psuhoffman said:

2.4 acres. takes a while to take care of but I like doing yard work so it's ok. 

Yeah I have 6 but its almost all wooded. Only about an acre I have to manage.

Beautiful setting you have there. That must be the highest point on Parrs Ridge or close to it. Miss my days in Carroll County sometimes. Drove Up route 97 from 70, past the house I grew up in and through Westminster on my way to Gettysburg last month. One of the prettiest areas outside of the mountains.

12 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I have 6 but its almost all wooded. Only about an acre I have to manage.

Beautiful setting you have there. That must be the highest point on Parrs Ridge or close to it. Miss my days in Carroll County sometimes. Drove Up route 97 from 70, past the house I grew up in and through Westminster on my way to Gettysburg last month. One of the prettiest areas outside of the mountains.

I love it here. And not just for the snow. I am about a mile from the highest point in Maryland east of the Catoctins. It's about 75 feet higher then where I am. There are a couple other high points right around me that are 25-50 feet higher but this area in general is the high point of Parrs ridge.  I'm at about 1075 feet. A couple spots go just over 1100 right around me. 

16 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Wait till you're old
My parents have 14 acres and it's like

How long you gonna keep doing that

I've guy 2/3 which is more than enough - helps that I back up to an unused portion of rock creek

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. I think it's every bit worth the commute. It's nice in the summer too when it's 90 in the city and 80 with a breeze here. 

Might need to look into moving into that area once I'm out of college. Looks absolutely gorgeous :)

40 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

colorado has been tempting to me...several times...but that lack of a beach within driving distance is a little bit of a snag.  their 4 seasons and color changes, etc, also isn't what it's like here.  if you can get past that, you like powdery snow, and just generally being out in the open plains...that's the place.  it's a great area.

12 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

My wife's cousin and husband who grew up in the Philly area moved to Colorado (just south of Denver) about 10 years ago and they absolutely LOVE it out there.  They say it surpasses the east coast in every way, except the beach.  But they get that every two years with our VA Beach family reunion trips.  They also had a nice A-frame house built just outside of Breckenridge and they zip up there frequently in winter.  Must be nice!

How long is your commute -- you work in Baltimore?  If we had telework two days a week like now, I might have located somewhere further out (I ride MARC train into DC).  Besides being in a bad snow area, I also am tired of having houses 30 feet from my back wall.

I have always wondered what Parrs Ridge would be like if it was say 3,000 feet.  Can you imagine that?

7 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

My wife's cousin and husband who grew up in the Philly area moved to Colorado (just south of Denver) about 10 years ago and they absolutely LOVE it out there.  They say it surpasses the east coast in every way, except the beach.  But they get that every two years with our VA Beach family reunion trips.  They also had a nice A-frame house built just outside of Breckenridge and they zip up there frequently in winter.  Must be nice!

How long is your commute -- you work in Baltimore?  If we had telework two days a week like now, I might have located somewhere further out (I ride MARC train into DC).  Besides being in a bad snow area, I also am tired of having houses 30 feet from my back wall.

I have always wondered what Parrs Ridge would be like if it was say 3,000 feet.  Can you imagine that?

I have family in Denver and have been out there dozens of time. Probably will move to a mountain town like Steamboat. 

If Parrs were 3000 ft it would be like Cannan Valley. Not quite as much upslope because the ridges to the west take out some of that moisture but would get obliterated even more then they do and I already do from coastals. 

19 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

I wonder how many years we've had more snow outside of winter than within.  At my house, I had 3" in fall, 3.75" in winter, and 4" in spring.  Say what you will about this winter, but having 3.5  months between the two biggest snowfalls is a rarity.

19 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

Looks correct for Calvert- somehow I got the jackpot bands late morning and again in the afternoon. Most spotter reports (including mine) were between 7-8”

Literally all the snow in my yard was melted by yesterday afternoon though. :-(

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Looks correct for Calvert- somehow I got the jackpot bands late morning and again in the afternoon. Most spotter reports (including mine) were between 7-8”

Literally all the snow in my yard was melted by yesterday afternoon though. :-(

Wow. How warm did it get down there yesterday?  It hit 51F here in Clarksburg but this is what my whopping 3.1” from the storm looks like right now:  

1276EB7C-F932-4199-90A0-D7C50437E0A9.thumb.jpeg.e4be2a9bbf7051508d979a1deb35eefd.jpeg

35 minutes ago, das said:

Wow. How warm did it get down there yesterday?  It hit 51F here in Clarksburg but this is what my whopping 3.1” from the storm looks like right now:  

A few of us talked about this yesterday and concluded think that all of the sleet that fell in the northern areas on Tuesday is keeping the snow pack healthier.  I'm betting that when I get home today, I'll still have complete snow coverage in the shaded areas.

Archived