Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

58 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Hey there:  I was going to mention this to you (see my other comment on the snow map).  Despite being well N&W of DC, our area frequently gets low amounts due to the terrain nearby.  We are more like inside the Beltway snow-wise than places like Frederick, despite being halfway between or even closer to Frederick.  I moved here from Calvert in 1994.  Yes there have been times when it paid off, but more times than not it is a bad spot.  Another thing I've noticed in snow-to-rain events -- we flip almost simultaneously with DC while areas just north stay snow for way longer.  In events like round one on Tuesday, the rain/snow line seems to be draped just north of us.

That’s unfortunate, I’ve always heard this is a snow town! I’m moving to Germantown too. Should have moved to Olney, they always cash in more than me.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

That’s unfortunate, I’ve always heard this is a snow town! I’m moving to Germantown too. Should have moved to Olney, they always cash in more than me.

Damascus is probably the best spot in that area... it's basically the Parkton of Montgomery county.

14 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

IMG_7763.JPG.53ef3f2021aa96aa91fa860973309c0e.JPG

Awesome pic!!! Congrats on the snow. You deserve it. 

12 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

I am not a teacher and have never worked in a school system but I have always wondered if it would be feasible to keep the schools open if a certain percentage of the students could make it to school on a particular snow day safely. Why close the entire school system for a storm like we had today where the roads have mostly been cleared in the more densely populated areas and they end up closing because a small percentage of the students is deemed to be making too much of a risk to get in.

It's mostly the litigious nature of society today.  Schools don't drive social moors it's the other way around.  In my district half the kids don't show up when it's raining or cold or hot.  Forget snow.  If one bus gets in an accident or one kid falls down and gets hurt it's a big lawsuit.  And school admins aren't DOT experts or meteorologists and public schools aren't flush with cash to hire people to make those kinds of calls like which schools can open and which must close.  Your adding layers of complexity they aren't equipped to handle well when a decision has to be made.  Given the cultural climate these days and all else its become easier for them to just close when in any doubt.  

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Thanks for posting that map!  When zoomed in, it clearly shows the Germantown snow hole which is quite common, due to higher elevations from W all the way around to NE.  It also frequently kills thunderstorms which re-form once they get east.  You should see the hole from Jan 2000 -- I got 7" with 14-17" west and 15-20 east.  The ironic part is I moved up here from Calvert to get better snow.  Fail!  Except for a few rare instances.  We got about 3.5 total.

As of December, I will be up to 35 months since the last warning criteria snow.

That's so unexpected from my point of view.  I would have thought your location would win more than lose.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Amazing how fast the totals dropped off once you got south of MD 26 and east of US 15.  Highly elevation dependent snowstorm.

Except for the whole swath of the Maryland Western Shore (and through Delaware and eventually up into South Jersey), I suppose you may be right.

23 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Beautiful outside and impressively cold, even in full sun.  Incredible for late March.

The scenes outside were amazing, especially earlier this morning. Took longer than I expected for the melting to get going, and a lot of the driveways were still very iced up or snow covered. The pine trees are always my favorite. The snow itself will probably stick around for a few days.

2 hours ago, supernovasky said:

Move 10 miles further to Damascus and you will agerage 10" more per year!  They are the southern end of parrs ridge. Not quite as good as up here but they do as much better then D.C. Metro as I do than Baltimore. So with perspective they are just as good. 

5 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Sun angle is going to obliterate the snowpack. Even with cold temps. 

as long as it melts some of the snow off peoples cars. i was dodging snowballs flying from roofs on my way to work this morning. 

3 hours ago, HighStakes said:

Nws spotter who lives  1 mile from my house at about the same elevation report 13.5 at 4 p.m. yesterday. We picked up at least a half inch after that until it shut off at 7:30. Then we got another inch with the band dropping down from Pennsylvania. Going with 15 for final total.

I recorded 17". 

I measured 8" Tuesday. Then a fresh 2.5 Wednesday morning. Then 5.5 during the day yesterday. And another 1.5" this morning from last night.  Total snowfall of 17.5" with a depth this morning of 14".  I rounded down since that's high for places around but I did see my numbers matched what you said you measured also and I'm on one of the highest ridges in central MD about 200-300 feet higher then these reports around me. I also saw some 15" reports yesterday evening from just across the border from us at lower elevations and that was before the 1.5" last night.  This was a rare time I noticed a big difference just from my ridge to surrounding areas especially once you get just south of Manchester. The walmart 3 miles down route 30 and 250 feet lower had much less snow. 

ETA:  can you believe after all the crap this year we still made it over 35" for the season?  Lol

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I recorded 17". 

I measured 8" Tuesday. Then a fresh 2.5 Wednesday morning. Then 5.5 during the day yesterday. And another 1.5" this morning from last night.  Total snowfall of 17.5" with a depth this morning of 14".  I rounded down since that's high for places around but I did see my numbers matched what you said you measured also and I'm on one of the highest ridges in central MD about 200-300 feet higher then these reports around me. I also saw some 15" reports yesterday evening from just across the border from us at lower elevations and that was before the 1.5" last night.  This was a rare time I noticed a big difference just from my ridge to surrounding areas especially once you get just south of Manchester. The walmart 3 miles down route 30 and 250 feet lower had much less snow. 

ETA:  can you believe after all the crap this year we still made it over 35" for the season?  Lol

It is hard to believe we broke 30. 

I think not only elevation but also every mile being further north helped as well. There were some good bands that set up on the northern tier that got us good but areas just a few miles south missed on somewhat.

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

1 minute ago, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation. 

20180321.png&w=1484

Ah yes, that 2-4" section right over my house in Gaithersburg surrounded by a sea of 4-6". I'm so pissed lol. Glad all of the rest of you got a great storm though.

4 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Amazing how fast the totals dropped off once you got south of MD 26 and east of US 15.  Highly elevation dependent snowstorm.

Def noticed that as well.  I'd almost say the BR was the dividing line....at least locally here.  My sister lives exactly 7 miles due east of me and has a 100' of elevation on me.  Tuesday, I had 4.5" going into the late afternoon and she was still snow/sleet mix with less than an inch.  After that, we reported pretty much the same throughout the rest of the storm.   Pretty wild difference on tuesday. 

Archived