Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

1 hour ago, Wonderdog said:

I am not a teacher and have never worked in a school system but I have always wondered if it would be feasible to keep the schools open if a certain percentage of the students could make it to school on a particular snow day safely. Why close the entire school system for a storm like we had today where the roads have mostly been cleared in the more densely populated areas and they end up closing because a small percentage of the students is deemed to be making too much of a risk to get in.

Enough roads in my county (after getting 12") have not been plowed sufficiently so as to deem the roads safe for travel with buses.  If Wonderdog were in charge, we would be in school on Thursday instead of out.  If only we had his leadership, some of the school system could be open tomorrow.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

Looks like that band might be healthy enough to make it all the way down here to Fairfax.  Gonna keep an eye on it, probably only to watch it evaporate once it reaches the Potomac. 

Probably. I only need 0.5" to reach 11" on the year. C'mon, band!

Ended up with 7" here in Ellicott City. The rates during the height of the storm made it worthwhile. We had heavy/mod from around 10-2. Probably 2"/hr at some points. It also stuck to everything and made for some great pictures and jebwalking. I could see if you had light/mod all day how this storm would suck. My call a couple days ago was 2-4 DC, 3-6 immediate burbs and 6+ N&W. Pretty good for a weenie :). 

We need to remember lessons learned. The bizarre euro with insane snow depths should have been tossed. The NAMs were jumpy but if you tossed the bizarre runs (Williamsburg jackpot) I think it was close on snow depth, especially within 48hrs. Also PHL north will not be denied*. Maybe that is why many people are bitter in here. We had some forecasts for 8+ in the cities but it ended up northeast of here. I guess part 2 was a Miller B? Those almost never work around here so we should be lucky with what we got. Part 1 probably would have worked for everyone had it been jan/feb. 

* except for 2009-2010. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

The never ending snowstorm. 36 hours and counting.

That mountain country is something else. On Tuesday I went chasing snow to Jefferson County again. Those areas had had snow all day. The mountains can have steady light snow even when we dont. That is a whole 'nother country and climate! While I was up there, all it did was snow and snow and snow. It did not matter what the radar showed, It snowed anyway. I was damn near out of my mind with joy. That was the first time this winter that i got to see snow cover the grass completely. I was blasting 1970s music on my headphones and I danced, I just couldn't help it. Today, Dale City got treated to the same craziness as WE got hit with so much snow that MY lawn got covered up with snow.

I wish I lived in Garrett County. Every time someone sneezes up there it snows. Every weather system snows them in the winter, every last one.

I LOVE Jefferson County and I want to visit Berkeley County too.

24 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Enough roads in my county (after getting 12") have not been plowed sufficiently so as to deem the roads safe for travel with buses.  If Wonderdog were in charge, we would be in school on Thursday instead of out.  If only we had his leadership, some of the school system could be open tomorrow.

So to @Wonderdog's point, most of FfxCo got a spread of 4"-7" -- considerably less than your locale -- and most streets were exposed to pavement and just wet by sunset. That's usually not the case, since the N/W portions of FfxCo typically get way more snow than the SE portions...not this time, it was a much closer spread.

Will there be ice in the morning across FfxCo? Probably. Does it warrant taking the kiddies out of school for an entire effing day again, when temps are going to rise to nearly 50 tomorrow? No...that's what two-hour delays are for. Should school districts out your way cancel tomorrow? With a foot of snow, I'd hope so. BTW, I'm sure FCPS will find a way to cancel on Friday as well, resulting in even more padding for an arguably unnecessary "spring break" next week.

Sorry for the banter fodder, folks -- I won't comment on this again. Like I said earlier, my kids have finally/thankfully escaped the FCPS gulag and I no longer have a dog in the fight, but these hair-trigger snow days really grip me by the short & curlies. 

Oh, and it's currently 34/29...no SN right now, though it looks some might be pivoting down this way.

9 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

So to @Wonderdog's point, most of FfxCo got a spread of 4"-7" -- considerably less than your locale -- and most streets were exposed to pavement and just wet by sunset. That's usually not the case, since the N/W portions of FfxCo typically get way more snow than the SE portions...not this time, it was a much closer spread.

Will there be ice in the morning across FfxCo? Probably. Does it warrant taking the kiddies out of school for an entire effing day again, when temps are going to rise to nearly 50 tomorrow? No...that's what two-hour delays are for. Should school districts out your way cancel tomorrow? With a foot of snow, I'd hope so. BTW, I'm sure FCPS will find a way to cancel on Friday as well, resulting in even more padding for an arguably unnecessary "spring break" next week.

Sorry for the banter fodder, folks -- I won't comment on this again. Like I said earlier, my kids have finally/thankfully escaped the FCPS gulag and I no longer have a dog in the fight, but these hair-trigger snow days really grip me by the short & curlies. 

Oh, and it's currently 34/29...no SN right now, though it looks some might be pivoting down this way.

Well said.

VRE is running its Special schedule tomorrow, so I’m driving in instead. Hopefully all the folks with kids getting an unnecessary day off will stay home to keep the traffic down.

On topic: Maybe we get a little dusting from this last band to end an interesting day. At least it’s happening at night, because March insolation did a number on the lighter rates during the day today.

Thats just great!

I have moderate freezing drizzle! Its 31 degrees. Everything is icing up. If you have untreated snow covered roads, they will rapidly become very slippery. I damn near fell on my ass on my slickened driveway! And after all my hard work clearing it!

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

On topic: Maybe we get a little dusting from this last band to end an interesting day. At least it’s happening at night, because March insolation did a number on the lighter rates during the day today.

Curious, what was your final measurement in Burke? Lost a lot of snow here in the last two hours of daylight.

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yep..coming down nice the past 30  minutes

On a side note .....12k tries to clip DC Sat night 

That system targeted us a couple days ago. Then models started shifted it south as the current storm was coming into a clearer outcome. The flow behind this system and cold pressing on friday isn't allowing it to swing through our region. We could see it nudge North a bit but there probably is a limit to how much. Would love to be wrong though. I'm greedy now after today lol.

27 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Curious, what was your final measurement in Burke? Lost a lot of snow here in the last two hours of daylight.

Tough to say with compaction, but I think 4.75” is a good number (I always round to the nearest 0.25”). It was kind of painful because we started off really strong with 3” as of about 10:30 am, but we had small flakes and lighter snow from then on and we just couldn’t accumulate well.

We had one pass from a plow on my car-de-sac in the early afternoon, and within an hour we had just a wet street that never got covered again. There are spots on the driveway that get a little less snow on them due to an overhanging holly - they went bare as the day unfolded due to only having an inch or so on them.

Archived