Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah. Even though my kids have finally escaped the FCPS system, I find this more than a bit ridiculous. All roads are just plain wet here in SE FfxCo...and even though they received a few more inches in the mid and western parts of FfxCo, I find it hard to believe that most roads aren't just wet there as well.

It’s a big county, and western and northern sections got more.  Also, you have to remember they need to get all of the schools cleared as well as sidewalks for kids to walk on.  When staff is out all day, I don’t think they are able to get schools cleared for students to return.  

57 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Looks like the WSW verified for almost the entire LWX region. Borderline in DC (Matt’s 4.5”), but looks like all of MD verified and almost all of VA? Maybe the southernmost row or two of counties in the LWX part of NoVA came up just short?

Measured 5" here - just west of Charlottesville - most of the dump was between 2 and 6 AM. cheers

1 hour ago, midatlanticweather said:

I must have made the snow gods angry! After careful re-measuring, I seriously barely broke 3 inches today! It was a sad day! I lived in a snow hole 90% of the day after this morning. Temps warmed above freezing before noon and stayed that way (actually still 33 after a high of 35) .. I almost saw the sun for a while. This barely outdid the snow I had Presidents day weekend! NOW within a mile or so of my home, there are measurements between 4 and 6 inches. I was unlucky! I see some other low spots in Loudoun as well from random feedback from Facebook!

I need redemption! TREND SATURDAY MY WAY please and make it way overperform!

Regardless, it is snowball fight and sledding time!

If you are measuring what is on the ground... that is the difference. Most likely the 4-6 inch measurement are from a snowboard which is different than ground measurement. 

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

Haha, gotta be honest, that 4.5" was liberal. It was actually 4.3", and I measured in like 4 spots. On hard surfaces, no lie I was getting 2.8". That was on grass.

Eh, I feel like 4.5" seems accurate enough. Compaction probably did numbers during the day. I measure on a snowboard, and I measured 3.85" during the day, on top of 0.25" that fell last night. My assumption is if I had cleared it every 6 hours and didn't measure after light snow was falling for about an hour, I probably would've been closer to 4.5" or something like that. I guess I'll wait until I see PNS reports near my area to see if I need to change my total. 

1 minute ago, Cobalt said:

Eh, I feel like 4.5" seems accurate enough. Compaction probably did numbers during the day. I measure on a snowboard, and I measured 3.85" during the day, on top of 0.25" that fell last night. My assumption is if I had cleared it every 6 hours and didn't measure after light snow was falling for about an hour, I probably would've been closer to 4.5" or something like that. I guess I'll wait until I see PNS reports near my area to see if I need to change my total. 

Yeah I'll recalibrate my measurement by the closest PNS reports. I always do. If they seem wildly off from what I got, I'll change it. The early reports were lining up rather well.

5 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

It’s a big county, and western and northern sections got more.  Also, you have to remember they need to get all of the schools cleared as well as sidewalks for kids to walk on.  When staff is out all day, I don’t think they are able to get schools cleared for students to return.  

Not much more. FfxCo had a 4"-7" spread today, from SE to N/W. My wife works in a FfxCo elementary school office, and the custodial staff at most of these schools are required to work at some point on snow days, to ensure that sidewalks/access roads are clear for follow-on days. Granted, some campuses will have more challenges with that due to their size, but above-freezing temps, compaction and lower-than-expected rates helped much of the melting along this afternoon. Like so many past FCPS closings...I happen to think this one is unwarranted.

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

How were the rates last night? Seems like that 12" total checks out. Grandparents in Churchville measured ~10". 

The rates were crazy from like 11:00 to 2:30.  I was on the phone to some friends in CA and every time I would look outside, it was another inch.  Got 4"+ in that time frame.  I am measuring anywhere from 11" to 12" after compaction in my yard. Still snowing, but not adding to measurable totals as the temp is 34.5 and it is Morch.

IMG_8946 (1).JPG

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Last I saw was 5.2” at IAD, 4.6” at BWI, and 4” at DCA.

I cant believe it but it appears someone at DCA finally figured out how to measure snow? 

Oh. And it just doesnt want to stop snowing out here. This outer band wont die. That is 35 straight hours with snow falling from the sky.

No, but I also only measured once so probably lost a bit to compaction once the dripping began.

Das, banding in NW MoCo was very odd today. I measured just under 5” to your east as I was tickled by those big bands in western MoCo and HoCo earlier this morning, but Germantown and 270 was the dividing line of anything reasonable over the area. There was more snow up in Damascus area and just to my north on 124. Very rare storm where you lose out around here. You usually cash out pretty well. We need a big, honking Miller A next winter. This one just missed being a bigger deal. I’ll take my snow and biggest event of the year and bring in spring.

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So officially...for Baltimore (city) and DC, still no warning criteria evemt since 2016...disappoiting. So close! 

Those may be superseded. That was just the last I saw. I’m surprised BWI was that low. Lots of higher totals nearby. 

One measurement in Annapolis this definitely compacted today it’s still lightly snowing I would say It was close to 10 inches. The snow has a blue tint thanks to Bob and Psu for all your board commentary !!! I was very very very skeptical probably because of the last two years of failing. 945f1d219b1002a51e53e99c9465b79e.jpg

30 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am going to go with 6.5" total, even though I know it was more like 8. I didn't do any intermediate measurements so not accounting for compaction/melting. I will see if there is an updated report from the CoCoRaHS station 3 miles east of here later for comparison.

I did 4 measurements throughout the day, with my first being 3".  Last measurement total for North Point State Park/ Sparrows Point, adds up to 7.5"

Archived