Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

I think there were a number of warning signs

1.first batch overperfirmed  and around here that means 2nd batch will underperform

2.Precip off coast never got dragged n-nw, mostly ne

3 Whirling dervish out west just sat and spun in same widely dispersed area, took too long to tighten up some and move east 

still a stellar late March event 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Grothar of Herndon said:

Ended up with 5.5". Snow really compacting this afternoon. I had 1.8" before this storm so more than doubled my seasonal total. Agree the storm never came together, but it was great seeing snow fall,moderate this morning, for the entire day. 

Had it been Jan or Feb it would have been different.  But for late March it was about as wintry a scene as we could ask for.  It could be 70 today in full sun.  

11 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

happy birthday!

I'm currently at 9" and waiting to see what piles up from the last blob.   I had about 45 minutes of heavy snow around 2 pm--all powder--which helped add to my total.  I had 4.5" last night and so another 4.5" so far today.  it's a pretty solid March event in an awful winter.  but now at least I have broken double digits for this winter.

Thank you Trix.  Glad you were also finally able to cash in on a nice snowfall after such a lean year.

I must have made the snow gods angry! After careful re-measuring, I seriously barely broke 3 inches today! It was a sad day! I lived in a snow hole 90% of the day after this morning. Temps warmed above freezing before noon and stayed that way (actually still 33 after a high of 35) .. I almost saw the sun for a while. This barely outdid the snow I had Presidents day weekend! NOW within a mile or so of my home, there are measurements between 4 and 6 inches. I was unlucky! I see some other low spots in Loudoun as well from random feedback from Facebook!

I need redemption! TREND SATURDAY MY WAY please and make it way overperform!

Regardless, it is snowball fight and sledding time!

Looks like the WSW verified for almost the entire LWX region. Borderline in DC (Matt’s 4.5”), but looks like all of MD verified and almost all of VA? Maybe the southernmost row or two of counties in the LWX part of NoVA came up just short?

1 hour ago, Ka60 said:

Das my snowboard measurement was over 4.5" (second wave)!  Did you eyeball it by any chance. I also noticed Germantown report was not consistent with our area. 

No, but I also only measured once so probably lost a bit to compaction once the dripping began.

31 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Same here in Germantown.  A couple of days ago I doubted this because of late March and temps, but I got suckered in yesterday.  Turns out temps were fine but precip rates were poor.  Never saw heavy, and only saw moderate for a few minutes.  Forecast was 8-12 and had nearly 100% chance of seeing 6.  Got half that LOL.  Seeing the huge jackpot 30-45 minutes north, and warning criteria snow to my east is a perfect ending to this abomination of a winter.

I've seen less snowfall in other winters, but this will go down as my most hated.

I can sort of get this (I assume you're talking about the winter as a whole)...we had a lot of missed opportunities that didn't come together around here, and some of those were during the couple of cold outbreaks that were "wasted".  But hey, we scored a great wind event the beginning of this month, LOL!  In all seriousness though, and I know it's all personal opinion...I couldn't call this winter "most hated."  Nor could I call this particular event such.  I would say winter of 2011-12 was God freaking awful, as was last winter (2016-17), and 2001-02.  Those three stand as the flagship of having absolutely or almost absolutely nothing.  Maybe toss in 2007-08 too.  These would be the opposite of 2009-10, 2002-03, 2013-14, if you will.  As for most hated events that failed, Snowquester (March 6, 2013) and the "storm that shall not be named" (ahem, Boxing Day!) in December 2010.

Today may have been a bit disappointing and underperformed in some ways here in the metro DC region...I admit I was hoping for something a bit higher end (though not expecting the crazy amounts the Euro/NAM were throwing at us with yesterday's 12Z run).  But like I said in the other thread, an area-wide 4-8", during the day in the 3rd week of March is pretty darned impressive.

As to amounts (to stay on topic)...I got 5" at my location.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Looks like the WSW verified for almost the entire LWX region. Borderline in DC (Matt’s 4.5”), but looks like all of MD verified and almost all of VA? Maybe the southernmost row or two of counties in the LWX part of NoVA came up just short?

Maybe a bit of Fairfax County. Measured 4.1" here while I see a couple 5" totals in Reston/Vienna.

27 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I believe my nearby neighbor @Kingstonian measured just under 4" around midday in our far SE corner of FfxCo. Again, by my eyeball-only estimation and during heaviest rates around midday, I think I topped out (realistically) between 4"-5", but we had a lot of compaction since then. I do think with our total snowfall, that we verified at the low end of LWX's WSW call, and in any case -- I was pretty happy about multi-inches in late March. I'm ready for spring and warmer weather.

A final report from this storm -- currently, 35/30, with flurries still holding on.

7 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Fairfax County closed tomorrow :)

It stopped snowing almost 2 hours ago

Yeah. Even though my kids have finally escaped the FCPS system, I find this more than a bit ridiculous. All roads are just plain wet here in SE FfxCo...and even though they received a few more inches in the mid and western parts of FfxCo, I find it hard to believe that most roads aren't just wet there as well.

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

5-6" in Western Albemarle, verified down here

Still snowing out here. But the last bit of greens on the radar are over me right now. I am not going to make it to ten. I am just gonna call it 9.5 and leave it at that. Had a lot of fun over the past week tracking and enjoying the storm with everyone. Now lets get that Sunday event to tick north a little bit :)

Ended up with about 5.5" of snow today, on top of about 1" of sleet, for a total of 6.5".  I probably lost some to compaction, but I don't think I lost much.  We never hit freezing.  Rates were impressive earlier today, above 1" per hour until it really dropped off around 1:00. 

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Verified for here if you mean at least, or greater than or equal to...the last NWS maps called for 4-6 for my county and I got 12".  So, did they meet expectations?  Yes.  Did they verify?  Not even close.  Last Euro run jackpot in western Virginia was what verified.

1 minute ago, WesternFringe said:

Verified for here if you mean at least, or greater to or equal than...the last NWS maps called for 4-6 for my county and I got 12".  So, did they meet expectations?  Yes.  Did they verify?  Not even close.

5” is warning criteria and that’s what I mean.

6 minutes ago, WesternFringe said:

Verified for here if you mean at least, or greater to or equal than...the last NWS maps called for 4-6 for my county and I got 12".  So, did they meet expectations?  Yes.  Did they verify?  Not even close.  Last Euro run jackpot in western Virginia was what verified.

How were the rates last night? Seems like that 12" total checks out. Grandparents in Churchville measured ~10". 

Archived