Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Dude. This would've been a double digit snowfall in January. This is late March. 4" or more (6-8" in some areas from the 2nd wave) is pretty good for late March. It may not have been the late March crippling snowstorm the Euro showed, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

*sneezes* Randy et al trolled me mercilessly yesterday for taking the under on the under on everything but here we are. 

Frederick County was the jackpot for this event, looks like some places picked up close to 18".  Can't wait to move to Thurmont where I can sit at ~1800' elevation and never have to worry about rates saving me.

57 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yep. Currently sitting at 36/30, with steady SN- for past two hours. I didn't get out to do an official measurement before compaction set in, but just before noon we probably received between 4"-5" here in Hayfield Farm/Kingstowne area...then melted down to between 3"-4" since. Roads/sidewalks have also caved...to above-freezing temps (as seen below). Pretty nice event, though.

I'm over on the Wegman's side of Kingstowne and measured 3.6" at 1pm, probably on the low side of what came down given both melting and compaction.  

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

*sneezes* Randy et al trolled me mercilessly yesterday for taking the under on the under on everything but here we are. 

Frederick County was the jackpot for this event, looks like some places picked up close to 18".  Can't wait to move to Thurmont where I can sit at ~1800' elevation and never have to worry about rates saving me.

I mean, it makes sense to take the under, especially in late March. Lots of factors going against us. 

Anyways, I'm okay with how this event turned out. Keeps the stretch of decent/great Marches alive

Just now, Cobalt said:

I mean, it makes sense to take the under, especially in late March. Lots of factors going against us. 

Anyways, I'm okay with how this event turned out. Keeps the stretch of decent/great Marches alive

this event had nothing to do with March..the storm never came together and we didnt get heavy rates. We could of scored easily...even in late March

17 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Ended up with around 5, with almost all of it falling over a fun three hour period. Overall, this storm gets a D+. It was supposed to snow well into the evening and it basically snowed until noon or so and then turned to light snow showers and the dripping began. The period this morning was great and saved the entire storm from being a total fail. This storm seemed to befuddle everyone, so I guess you just try to learn something from it and hope it helps in the future. Frustrating but fitting way to close out this winter.

The 4-8” WSW worked out decently for the most part. Sure some parts of tge warned counties had less than 4” but eastern areas are pushing up towards the top of the range. Lots of 5-6” reports in the counties under the warning. Most forecasts were ok to good based on verification. I have no idea why you and others’ expectations were based on the craziest runs and therefore exceeded the actual forecasts. 

Been looking at pixie dust for a while now. Beautiful scene outside. 
Did a four mile jebwalk and I'll post pics when the site is better. 
I was going to add a smartass line about some of the posting around here, but I'm tired and want cake and I'll bite my tongue  
Hmm I probably did almost 4 miles

1 hour ago, das said:

Just hit 3" here in Clarksburg at 2pm.  Since the start of the snow, it's been all light snow except for two 10+ minutes of moderate snow.  2m temp is up to 35F with lots of drip-drip-dripping going on.  10M temp holding steady at 29F.  March sun angle and low precip rates FTL...

Das my snowboard measurement was over 4.5" (second wave)!  Did you eyeball it by any chance. I also noticed Germantown report was not consistent with our area. 

1 minute ago, Ji said:

this event had nothing to do with March..the storm never came together and we didnt get heavy rates. We could of scored easily...even in late March

True, it was still nice for what it was; but the rates weren't there. No death bands, etc. It was just kind of a moderate snowfall.

People are going to bash me saying I am complaining and I am not. It's just an honest assessment. Cool little fluke late March snowstorm that the didn't live up to the model potential.

22 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Ended up with around 5, with almost all of it falling over a fun three hour period. Overall, this storm gets a D+. It was supposed to snow well into the evening and it basically snowed until noon or so and then turned to light snow showers and the dripping began. The period this morning was great and saved the entire storm from being a total fail. This storm seemed to befuddle everyone, so I guess you just try to learn something from it and hope it helps in the future. Frustrating but fitting way to close out this winter.

You’re out of your damn mind if you think a 5” storm in late March with a 3 hour period of +SN should get a D+, unless you hate cold and snow and want nothing to do with it.

It was an excellent event for this time of the year, even if the widespread 10”+ amounts didn’t materialize, which BTW is a crazy thing to expect especially in late March.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Looks like about 4”...light snow.  A nice late March storm but a little disappointing we didn’t get the crazy dynamics.  

Exactly. Not a huge deal, but it was certainly a disappointment. A few hours of heavy snow saved the day. It was really impressive that it snowed all day, though it didn’t do much to help with totals. Yet we have some people saying we should shut up and be happy that we got warning-level snow.

Just now, Fozz said:

You’re out of your damn mind if you think a 5” storm in late March with a 3 hour period of +SN should get a D+, unless you hate cold and snow and want nothing to do with it.

It was an excellent event for this time of the year, even if the widespread 10”+ amounts didn’t materialize, which BTW is a crazy thing to expect especially in late March.

I agree. I'd rate this storm a B. Acceptable at any time of the year, pretty great at this time of year. Got to enjoy the snow, sled with my brother, and the snow is quite the scene. Too bad my alarm for 7 am didn't go off.. Missed some of the best rates! 

Archived