Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, das said:

Just hit 3" here in Clarksburg at 2pm.  Since the start of the snow, it's been all light snow except for two 10+ minutes of moderate snow.  2m temp is up to 35F with lots of drip-drip-dripping going on.  10M temp holding steady at 29F.  March sun angle and low precip rates FTL...

same in east  columbia rt 175 23 miles east of 95

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Pivot occurring (obviously) so the last hurrah over the next 4 hours or so. You can already see banding and subsidence structure setting up. Not sure how much more can accumulate. Probably 1-3" max if I had to guess. For many it won't add to totals due to compaction. Can't deny the march sun even with clouds. Great event though. Beautiful scene out there. 

Yep. Currently sitting at 36/30, with steady SN- for past two hours. I didn't get out to do an official measurement before compaction set in, but just before noon we probably received between 4"-5" here in Hayfield Farm/Kingstowne area...then melted down to between 3"-4" since. Roads/sidewalks have also caved...to above-freezing temps (as seen below). Pretty nice event, though.

giphy.gif

This outer band has been great for the past couple of hours. I have measured 9.3 inches throughout the event with 5 cleanings of my snowboard every 6 hours. With compaction I have about 6 and a half inches on the ground. Really a fantastic event for late March.

NW of Winchester. Snow and 31 degrees.

Wow I finally got in here. I wasn't home for the early part of the storm, so without proper measurement accounting for compaction/melting, I am just over 5 ". Been a great storm here. Moderate to heavy snow most of the day. If this were January this would easily be a foot.

Moderate snow continues...

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Pivot occurring (obviously) so the last hurrah over the next 4 hours or so. You can already see banding and subsidence structure setting up. Not sure how much more can accumulate. Probably 1-3" max if I had to guess. For many it won't add to totals due to compaction. Can't deny the march sun even with clouds. Great event though. Beautiful scene out there. 

Will likely make or break warning criteria for some (I'm actually not sure what BWI has recorded up my way). But even so...fighting for the flakes since the lull!

34 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

3.8? That can't be right. I had 3.0 a few hours ago and I think we're relatively close. Compaction became a real challenge for measuring once we topped 32 here. 

I measured 5.5"...

It's definitely right. I measured throughout the storm and in multiple locations. Compaction probably added to the difficulty but I was getting lower totals than anyone else around me was for whatever reason. Glenmont and even Olney got more than me because y'all got in on some of that mega yellow band that completely missed us.

around 4" here, give or take.  did some driving/walking around.  definitely a bit of an underperformer during the midday/afternoon with generally light snow and even some faint peeks of sun here and there, but the morning made up for it.  looks like we could get fringed by some of the pivot/backbuilding, so that would be a bonus.  either way, i expect some light stuff into the overnight hours.  overall nice storm for march 21.  it helps take some of the sting off of this winter.

2 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

6.5" in Crofton as of 3:30. Still snowing, but at 34.1° with the March 21 midday sun, accumulation rates have slackened considerably.

That's what I've got 2 miles east of you. It did torch a bit today. We would of done much better if that didn't happen. I'm calling it a 7" total including yesterday. Great storm and really beautiful. 

Archived