Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

I tried pointing out cold temps and crunchy base in place last night but 50 people named debbie refused to accept good advice. 

Yeah, at or below freezing most/all of the night with a freezing drizzle/sleet base is a great way to start for accumulating snow.

10 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

If anyone doubts my very low reports, take a look at this traffic cam right outside my neighborhood.

Traffic Cam Rt 355 and Rt 27

I lived in the townhouses off 118 and 355 last year, and there's a noticeable difference between Germantown proper and areas just to the north off 27 and 124. That's where I'm located and measured 2.9" about 15 minutes ago. Was in a sucker hole for a time, but its slowly picking back up. Just west of the good stuff near MoCo/HoCo border. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If you look at the radar loop, inflow from the altantic and due west trajectory is still the primary motion. That will shift more NE-SW as time goes on. That part is a bit of a wildcard. Could be high ratio fluff in the banded structure or it could just be pulses. For now we're getting a very even distribution through much of the region. Good times. 

It’s also still snowing in SW Virginia.  Shouldn’t that also be heading up our way? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I tried pointing out cold temps and crunchy base in place last night would help significantly but 50 people named debbie refused to accept good advice. 

That freezing driz last night did a number on all surfaces, even the roads caved in nicely here.

13 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

3" here - just measured a few minutes ago. Coming down very nicely. 

What part of Colesville are you in? I'm off Old Bonifant just north of the ICC and my neighborhood by the New Hampshire Ave "ridge" usually seems to overperform what I see reported nearby. Just measured 3.75 on my deck rail.

1 minute ago, NovaTarHeel said:

I'm now up above freezing in Fairfax.  As long as rates stay up like they are, it shouldn't mess with anything.  I just want to hit that 8" mark.  Little over halfway there already. 

I’m hoping for 6, would love 8, but 12” is always my goal!  Not that I plan to get that in this storm.  Maybe if the Low had stayed tucked in...

2 minutes ago, WeSuck said:

When is the pivot going to occur. I am beginning to become JI-irritated with this lull out here in Leesburg...

I lived in the same hood as Ji, he actually moved into my neighborhood years ago. I moved away for a bit but now I'm back but in Lansdowne to your east. It's still coming down ok here

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

I think I am seeing some signs of some east-west flow in the last couple radar frames. Could be radar ghosts but if so, we could be good for some time here.

This is the money part of the storm where there should be few lulls. Strong moisture feed and good lift on the north side of the ull. Once that shifts to our NE the personality of the storm will change. Could be bands of mod snow with subsidence in between or it could lose good dynamics and underwhelm. Just have to sweat it out. Right now is the bread and butter. Constant mod accum snow for the next couple hours. Enjoy the F out of it. 

1 minute ago, AU74 said:

What part of Colesville are you in? I'm off Old Bonifant just north of the ICC and my neighborhood by the New Hampshire Ave "ridge" usually seems to overperform what I see reported nearby. Just measured 3.75 on my deck rail.

I'm south of you near Springbook High School (can get there through the woods). 

1 minute ago, snowmagnet said:

I’m hoping for 6, would love 8, but 12” is always my goal!  Not that I plan to get that in this storm.  Maybe if the Low had stayed tucked in...

I just wanted to hit LWX's 8-12" call, so really 12" is my goal too, lol.  I don't see that happening, but I wouldn't complain if it did.  Our area is looking pretty good radar wise, too.  At least for the next few hours.  We'll see what happens with the pivot. 

Archived