Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice band of convection heading up into SW Va and into central NC. Plenty of lightning with it. Should start to see that rapidly re-seed the lower layers with ice crystals and get precip going again in a hurry from SW-NE.

32F line is already down to Leonardstown to Easton to Dover, which is a further southeast than it was progged to be at this point.

O. M. G.

I am 28 degrees and I went outside to check things.

That IS freezing drizzle. Freezing drizzle is extremely BAD news because it gets on EVERYTHING. There's very little latent heat. The car is icing up. The fence is one big icicle. The bushes are icy. Thank G-d that the driveway wasnt iced up, I'd have fallen right on my azz, I had no frackin' clue that was freezing drizzle, i thought it was just plain regular non-freezing stuff.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL in Dale City. Things are icing up. Its NASTY with that 17 mph NNE breeze too

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

O. M. G.

I am 28 degrees and I went outside to check things.

That IS freezing drizzle. Freezing drizzle is extremely BAD news because it gets on EVERYTHING. There's very little latent heat. The car is icing up. The fence is one big icicle. The bushes are icy. Thank G-d that the driveway wasnt iced up, I'd have fallen right on my azz, I had no frackin' clue that was freezing drizzle, i thought it was just plain regular non-freezing stuff.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL in Dale City. Things are icing up. Its NASTY with that 17 mph NNE breeze too

I’ve got a coating of ice on all non-paved surfaces (on top of the coating of sleet we got earlier).  Even some spots on the sidewalk are slick.  Nasty out there and will be a slick layer for the snow layer to pile up on.  

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Getting icy man. Just walked the dog for a few miles. Concrete sidewalks are 75% ice. North facing driveways are rinks. Nice crusty layer of snow, sleet, and ice on the grass. Good base for a shellacking. 

So that IS ice I'm seeing Yeeeaaah buddy! It's setting the table and adding the seasoning for said shellacking!

Just NW of Vienna,...  (for you on cell phones)

After being at 29 for the last 5-6 hours, we just bumped up to 30.  dp is at 29. 

Precip hasn't stopped entirely since it started raining this morning.  The drz waned in the mid/late afternoon, but it never stopped entirely.  Added what's to come, when was the last time we had any sort of precip for nearly 48hrs non-stop w/o interruption?  This is indeed a rare bird for a multitude of reasons.   

That inbound bow from the SW is wicked.  NWS put up some SWS (Special Weather Stmts) along the line. 

Its nowcast time. I'm enjoying the radar and cheering on all the folks who ARE getting destroyed. I'll get plenty of snow too, but I can always chase out to Jefferson and maybe even Berkeley on Thursday. I'd love to get stuck in a monster 4 foot drift in Martinsburg, best dilemma to have. I'd enjoy a truly EPIC jebwalk!

Archived