March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would need 17 inches tomorrow :)

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I needed ~10” before today. 1” so far. I’m not counting on 9” tomorrow, but seems within reach.

I need about 7" tomorrow. That might actually be doable.

5 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I wonder how many people here will actually reach climo after this storm. I think for some it's within reach.

I need 14" (or something like that), but my benchmark is double digits. Pretty sure that's in the bag (need 3.4" to do it). I really hope I can reach a foot for the year, maybe 14". 

With long periods between snowstorms people (not on this forum, but in the general public) forget what a foot of snow can do to this area.  If that verifies some school districts could be closed the rest of the week.  March sun might have something to say about that I suppose

one thing lwx did mention which shouldn't spazz anyone out is that if there's some residual warm layer, it could start as a mix of snow/sleet here.  not sure if that's how things would go down, but it's not supposed to be long lasting.  if you hear some pingers with the initial band i wouldn't read it into too much.  it's not a retreating airmass.

Just now, SnowGolfBro said:

With long periods between snowstorms people (not on this forum, but in the general public) forget what a foot of snow can do to this area.  If that verifies some school districts could be closed the rest of the week.  March sun might have something to say about that I suppose

Seeing as it comes in the middle of the week...even with March sun, it would likely shut things down for the last few days of the week!

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

one thing lwx did mention which shouldn't spazz anyone out is that if there's some residual warm layer, it could start as a mix of snow/sleet here.  not sure if that's how things would go down, but it's not supposed to long lasting.  if you hear some pingers with the initial band i wouldn't read it into too much.

Looking at SPC mesoscale, we’re safely under 0 at 850 and 925 but good to keep in mind for later tonight.  

1 minute ago, WVclimo said:

Still snowing.  Since before 7:00 a.m. without a break.  Now looks like the stuff in Frederick Co., Maryland may rotate back this way.  8.5" so far.  27 degrees.

That's impressive, man.  Probably close to 6.5" here. 

I can confirm that the stuff in Fred Co is enhancing the snow again.

Montgomery County Public Schools are closed Wednesday March 21, 2018 due to emergency weather conditions. All school and community activities in school buildings also are canceled. All administrative offices are open. Day care programs in school buildings may remain open as scheduled. MCPS will reevaluate this decision by 5:00 a.m. to determine if closure of offices is necessary.

Archived