Weathernoob335
March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

nj2va

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

28.9/27

Shoveled the drive for my husband's car to get in. Measured about 2" of very wet compacted snow. Took me 30 min. to clear and as soon as I cleared it was covered again. Puking large flakes again. 

It's nuts, after it being 60 degrees yesterday, looks like we've pulled off a Denver.  Roads are a mess.

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

Can't shake the rain.  Temps won't fall and radar won't budge that r/s line no matter how much I wish it.

.72" precip so far.  Thats half my total for the whole storm

Ain't no way we hit double digits unless we get very lucky with banding during wave #2.

Though, it's sleeting here the heaviest it has all day now.  You still all rain?

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

Can't shake the rain.  Temps won't fall and radar won't budge that r/s line no matter how much I wish it.

.72" precip so far.  Thats half my total for the whole storm

Yeah, getting frustrated here in Rockville, too.  Very light sleet mixed with mist/rain here. Meh.

(No, not panicking or storm cancelling for anyone who wants to snark in the banter thread). 

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

It's nuts, after it being 60 degrees yesterday, looks like we've pulled off a Denver.  Roads are a mess.

Yep! What is crazy is seeing all the non snow photos less than 40 miles from us. My husband drives a MX-5 and I should have had him take my car today. I told him when you hit the Fred. Co. line it will be winter wonderland!

1 minute ago, NovaTarHeel said:

Ain't no way we hit double digits unless we get very lucky with banding during wave #2.

Though, it's sleeting here the heaviest it has all day now.  You still all rain?

Yeah.  I'm at home which is E of Springfield.  It had started to flip around noon but went back to rain and been pouring.  I've lost a whole 0.4F since then.

What little bit of snow we got this morning (1/2 inch)  has all melted off.  Starting from 0 once again.  Haven't seen anything heavier than flurries in the last 3+ hours.

LOL at the "fringed" worriers (I think I just trademarked this phrase); as always there is only 1 bunch in this forum who has to actually worry about that.

Anyone who lives along the corridor who is underwhelmed right now needs to accept that it is going exactly as planned. The far NW crew was on the bubble today and it's breaking right for many of them. The DC burbs literally had no chance at accum snow during this precip. The stuff rotating in SE of DC could flip areas (like mine) but it probably won't add up to much. The big show has always been overnight and tomorrow for much of the corridor. 

There's going to be a lull for all of us later this afternoon/evening that will last into the early morning hours. It may continue to precipitate the entire time but it will be spotty and light.  The upper level low and developing low at the mouth of the bay will blossom, intensify, and invade our area overnight. For those who have nothing on the ground, just sit back and wait and understand that your mind may get blown in just over 12 hours through the early afternoon tomorrow. 

And to add to my last post...I'm impressed (well not really) at how well the northern tier is doing. They were right on the line with blended guidance and it's hitting on all 8 for them with this piece. I'm happy as F for them and could care less that I have a few icicles and a thin layer of sleet. The only upside I thought I had today was a sandstorm that built up maybe .5-1" of sleet. That didn't happen but my feelings certainly aren't hurt. 

A lot of complaints- but “Wave 1” is doing exactly as advertised.  Unless you are in West Virginia or western Maryland, there will be little to no accumulation. It is however setting up for Wave 2, considering all of the pre-treatment on the roads is all but gone. I think roads later this evening are going to be pretty treacherous regionwide. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

And to add to my last post...I'm impressed (well not really) at how well the northern tier is doing. They were right on the line with blended guidance and it's hitting on all 8 for them with this piece. I'm happy as F for them and could care less that I have a few icicles and a thin layer of sleet. The only upside I thought I had today was a sandstorm that built up maybe .5-1" of sleet. That didn't happen but my feeling certainly aren't hurt. 

I have ~0.3" of sleet and if some of the rain/freezing rain was sleet, it would have easily been around 1". 

Archived