Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, NattyBo said:

It did suck. For a lot of us. I'm sorry that effected your enjoyment of the storm. I'd posit you care way too much what strangers on the internet are posting about the weather. A lot of people here apparently do.

My wife hates a lot of movies I like. She lets me know constantly - doesn't make me enjoy them any less. YMMV obviously.  For me, the bitching *about* the bitching (just like the constant quoting of bad posts here) is the worst part. 

you bitching, about people bitching, about your bitching... is annoying. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was interested in seeing how the Mid-Atlantic crew was doing after this winter, so came here to check things out. 4 pages through and I already feel about 100% more negative. Feisty folk, you are. lol

I have heard/read stories from other posters that you don't like "outsiders" posting on your subforum...but I did anyways. :P

Jebman, it's nice to see you still posting and going on Jeb-walks. I miss reading your tales from when all the forums used to be "together" over a decade ago.

1 minute ago, blackrock said:

I was interested in seeing how the Mid-Atlantic crew was doing after this winter, so came here to check things out. 4 pages through and I already feel about 100% more negative. Feisty folk, you are. lol

I have heard/read stories from other posters that you don't like "outsiders" posting on your subforum...but I did anyways. :P

Jebman, it's nice to see you still posting and going on Jeb-walks. I miss reading your tales from when all the forums used to be "together" over a decade ago.

It was a rough year for most of us. A lot of near misses and wasted cold made it even more frustrating. This latest storm was a good one for some of us, but unfortunately not everyone.

Just now, Fozz said:

It was a rough year for most of us. A lot of near misses and wasted cold made it even more frustrating. This latest storm was a good one for some of us, but unfortunately not everyone.

Same thing up here in Western Michigan. The past 3 winters have blown chunks...and I am sure have been miserable down there for you guys. I am glad some of you managed to get a nice plastering though!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2018/03/21/the-european-weather-model-just-had-its-virginia-moment-in-march-madness/?utm_term=.88b3dc192eae

I really don't think the Euro showing that much snow 24 hours before the event is equivalent or as bad as UVA losing to a 16th seed. How often do models have bullish totals right before a storm vs. a no. 1 seed losing to a no. 16 seed?

@MordecaiI mean if you read the article Angela posted, it shows just how wrong the forecast was up north. It actually wasn't bad down here at all, in comparison

Told my buddy in Boston who was freaking out over another foot of snow that he wouldn't get close to double digits, regardless what the forecasts said.

I thought the bit about the NWS raising their forecast based on the Euro was kind of misleading. It wasn't like the NWS went from 4-8" to 10-15". They bumped up slightly to 5-10" before dropping it back to 4-8". And that sight bump up may not have been caused by the Euro anyway. The only outlet I saw to go way higher was NBC4 who put downtown DC in the 8"+ zone. 

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I get the complaints about schools in towards the city. Every road is basically cleared and dry at this point most likely. But you all cant forget the outer burbs. There are tree lined back roads in Western Loudoun that I can guarantee you are a disaster right now. I know. I grew up there. They had 7-8 inches of snow on them last night and the sun never reaches the blacktop because they are shaded.  And it is like that for a big portion of the western counties this morning. Buses literally cannot navigate on them. Now if you want to argue about the parents who wont take their kids a half a mile to meet the bus on clear roads, you have an argument.

Also the safety of the kids walking to school is also taken into consideration. Are sidewalks cleared, etc? They can't have kids walking on the roads because side walks aren't cleared. Before I had kids I never thought about this stuff now since I have 2 I realize there's  alot more that goes into the decision making.

i gotta be honest, while i can see why some people would get annoyed at people complaining/worrying, etc, there was also an excessive amount of belittling/lecturing/embarrassing people about how they should think/post.  i'm not gonna pick sides.  i'm in the middle on this, but i'll continue to stick to my guns that if people don't like what someone is posting and it's really bothering you, then either scroll past, PM them to discuss it, or talk about it in banter.  i think this is an area that could use improvement on all forums, not just this one.  my suggestion to those who are complaining about an event is to not come off as if you're right and others are wrong.  my suggestion to those who are trying to correct people is to challenge their thinking instead of insinuating they're not good enough to post here.  that's just my personal opinion on the topic, so take it for what it is...just another 2 cents.

6 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Also the safety of the kids walking to school is also taken into consideration. Are sidewalks cleared, etc? They can't have kids walking on the roads because side walks aren't cleared. Before I had kids I never thought about this stuff now since I have 2 I realize there's  alot more that goes into the decision making.

Kids can’t walk on snow-covered sidewalks nowadays? What about a couple days after storms in December or January after which some folks are too lazy to shovel and there’s a nice, thick layer of ice on their sidewalks? Do we cancel school for that, too?

Not like this argument matters anyways, because sidewalks were pretty well free of snow by this morning in most of Fairfax County.

56 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i gotta be honest, while i can see why some people would get annoyed at people complaining/worrying, etc, there was also an excessive amount of belittling/lecturing/embarrassing people about how they should think/post.  i'm not gonna pick sides.  i'm in the middle on this, but i'll continue to stick to my guns that if people don't like what someone is posting and it's really bothering you, then either scroll past, PM them to discuss it, or talk about it in banter.  i think this is an area that could use improvement on all forums, not just this one.  my suggestion to those who are complaining about an event is to not come off as if you're right and others are wrong.  my suggestion to those who are trying to correct people is to challenge their thinking instead of insinuating they're not good enough to post here.  that's just my personal opinion on the topic, so take it for what it is...just another 2 cents.

Looking back, I think I took it too far one time yesterday, and I regret that post after giving it more thought and learning more about how that person's total (which I don't think was terrible, but also wasn't MECS level) compared to reasonable expectations at the time. I don't agree with that person's opinion which I thought was too negative, but I think I responded too harshly to it. 

Others actually got really screwed by dry air or just being in between the bands for too long, and honestly I can't blame them for being frustrated. I think most of the ones who ended up with really disappointing totals actually handled it well, all things considered.

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Looking back, I think I took it too far one time yesterday, and I regret that post after giving it more thought and learning more about how that person's total (which I don't think was terrible, but also wasn't MECS level) compared to reasonable expectations at the time. I don't agree with that person's opinion which I thought was too negative, but I think I responded too harshly to it. 

Others actually got really screwed by dry air or just being in between the bands for too long, and honestly I can't blame them for being frustrated. I think most of the ones who ended up with really disappointing totals actually handled it well, all things considered.

i didn't even notice that and wasn't really paying too much attention to some of the back and forth's, but just in general i don't think everyone responds well to being called out when they know 100+ users may be browsing the forum during a storm.  it can cause a pile on effect which i've seen start to steal away some of the good vibes.  that's why i think it's just usually better to let the mods handle that stuff.  i'll admit, i was a little disappointed with the afternoon portion of the storm, but did get out for some hiking around the potomac.  would have been more fun to be out in it during the good rates, but ah well.  still a nice scene for march.

24 minutes ago, 87storms said:

..,,.that's why i think it's just usually better to let the mods handle that stuff.  

I am just guessing and I may be totally wrong— Maybe you don’t know *who* the mods are in this subforum? 

Because the mods themselves have posted often in various threads encouraging people to knock it off with the bad posts. And a certain poster reacting aggressively to a mod’s post in this very thread this morning started the whole new exchange. 

On 3/22/2018 at 10:23 PM, gymengineer said:

I am just guessing and I may be totally wrong— Maybe you don’t know *who* the mods are in this subforum? 

Because the mods themselves have posted often in various threads encouraging people to knock it off with the bad posts. And a certain poster reacting aggressively to a mod’s post in this very thread this morning started the whole new exchange. 

i think i mostly do and i'm not referring to any particular incidents.  i was actually referring to right before and during the storm, and didn't even see the exchange this morning.  like i said, i usually skim past that stuff, but it started getting off track for a bit.  i just don't think the pile on approach (aka play him off keyboard cat) is ideal.  while cheerleading a storm is probably better overall, i don't think it has to be all positive either.  it's ok to get differing views...within reason.

Archived