• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

Well, looks like I'll be going another year without ever seeing a snow event of warning criteria in my life. 30 years now!

Here are some cool pics though:

3zGxsCm.jpg

Downed tree

h1ntts8.jpg

neohQPY.jpg

Also... snowmen and pulling my son sled riding are exhausting.

I can still take joy in this, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed about not hitting 6".

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Well, looks like I'll be going another year without ever seeing a snow event of warning criteria in my life. 30 years now!

Here are some cool pics though:

3zGxsCm.jpg

Downed tree

h1ntts8.jpg

neohQPY.jpg

Also... snowmen and pulling my son sled riding are exhausting.

I can still take joy in this, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed about not hitting 6".

BURN HIM!!!

21 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I feel content with this storm. Only thing that made this storm less enjoyable is that our German Shepherd wasn't able to play in the snow due to having a tumor in his foot being removed about a week or 2 ago, and him risking infection if he played outside. He's like the dog equivalent of a snow weenie. Always waits outside my door when he knows its snowing. 

Here's to next year! Hopefully this event is the start of a nice streak of some good winters! Maybe just like March 2013?

My 9 year old Aussie hasn’t had a good snow to run around in for 2 years.  He had a good  time, but now he is paying the price with sore muscles.   Must have pulled something. 

2 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

My 9 year old Aussie hasn’t had a good snow to run around in for 2 years.  He had a good  time, but now he is paying the price with sore muscles.   Must have pulled something. 

Our 2nd German Shepherd (we have 5 dogs :D) hurt his back legs sometime last year & has trouble walking up steps. He seemed to have enjoyed the snow, but not as much as our 3 little dogs. Seeing them run around in the snow made this whole event for me. 

I enjoyed the AM hours immensely, but I was a little disappointed watching the pixie dust fall all afternoon while the snow melted.  

I would have enjoyed this storm much, much more had the Euro not thrown out 20" totals yesterday.  You'd think you'd be able to trust the king a little more so close to game time, but I guess the models aren't quite there, yet.

6 minutes ago, NovaTarHeel said:

I enjoyed the AM hours immensely, but I was a little disappointed watching the pixie dust fall all afternoon while the snow melted.  

I would have enjoyed this storm much, much more had the Euro not thrown out 20" totals yesterday.  You'd think you'd be able to trust the king a little more so close to game time, but I guess the models aren't quite there, yet.

I woke up at 10:30 AM.. Went to bed at 3 and set an alarm for what I thought was 6:30 am. Turns out I set it for 6:30 pm on my phone :axe:

still, rates around 11:30-1:00 P.M were pretty good. 

39 minutes ago, snowmagnet said:

Regarding the site being down.....  I must say.... since it was being a pain earlier, I decided to go take a Jebwalk!  I was beautiful!  So maybe if was just a hint to get my nose out of the weather threads and go and enjoy the snow!  

Yeah, i went out and shoveled my walk but then the neighbors came to call and soon I found myself digging THEM out lol.

7 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I woke up at 10:30 AM.. Went to bed at 3 and set an alarm for what I thought was 6:30 am. Turns out I set it for 6:30 pm on my phone :axe:

still, rates around 11:30-1:00 P.M were pretty good. 

About 8-11am is when I picked up most of my snow.  From the other posters on here, your area missed out on the early morning bands, but looks like y'all did some catching up later in the afternoon.

i was thinking about where we went wrong the most and i think we really just needed wave 1 to perform better.  we lost quite a bit of qpf tuesday morning due to temps.  that was really an easy way to score a mecs here in january or february.  nice low running at us from the plains with a high to the north.  we missed a good opportunity there.  wave 2 had more big dog potential, but the ull and sourthern vort were just a bit too separated and i also think some of the residual easterly flow may have messed up some of the dynamics of wave 2.  i could be wrong, but i think we may have lost track of how difficult it can be to score in complicated setups even with the models given us some nice totals for today.  it was still a really nice late march storm either way.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

i was thinking about where we went wrong the most and i think we really just needed wave 1 to perform better.  we lost quite a bit of qpf tuesday morning due to temps.  that was really an easy way to score a mecs here in january or february.  nice low running at us from the plains with a high to the north.  we missed a good opportunity there.  wave 2 had more big dog potential, but the ull and sourthern vort were just a bit too separated and i also think some of the residual easterly flow may have messed up some of the dynamics of wave 2.  i could be wrong, but i think we may have lost track of how difficult it can be to score in complicated setups even with the models given us some nice totals for total.  it was still a really nice late march storm either way.

Yeah, wave 1 could've been pretty decent. I really can't imagine the state of this sub-forum if at the same time wave 1 trended North, while wave 2 was non-existent. On Saturday wave 1 looked like the only show in town, but it didn't look like it was trending North until Sunday/Monday, when models revived wave 2. 

2 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Yeah, wave 1 could've been pretty decent. I really can't imagine the state of this sub-forum if at the same time wave 1 trended North, while wave 2 was non-existent. On Saturday wave 1 looked like the only show in town, but it didn't look like it was trending North until Sunday/Monday, when models revived wave 2. 

yea wave 1 was spun off from the big west coast system and had some southern vort characteristics.  it was juiced up.  we just didn't have the temps in place.  dagger

13 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

***URGENT*** 
PUBLIC EMERGENCY MESSAGE
ISSUED BY THE MID-ATLANTIC DEPARTMENT OF PANIC
639 AM EDT Wed Mar 21 2018

...MASS WEENIE CASUALTY EVENT UNDERWAY...REAPER UNABLE TO ADEQUATELY RESPOND
...APOCALYPTIC SCENES PLAYING OUT ACROSS ALL STORM THREADS...

* WHAT...EXTREME PANIC AND UNRELENTING MELTDOWNS AT LACK OF HEAVY SNOW AT THIS VERY MOMENT. 
TOTAL WEENIE CASUALTIES OF 85-95% OF THE SUBFORUM BECOMING INCREASINGLY LIKELY.

* WHERE...CENTRAL MARYLAND, EASTERN SHORE, SOUTHERN MARYLAND, VIRGINIA, LEESBURG,
CAPITAL DISTRICT AND ANY PLACE A MID-ATLANTIC WEENIE IS WAKING UP.

* WHEN...FROM THE TIME THE CRISIS BEGAN APPROXIMATELY NINE HOURS AGO
TO UNKNOWN. HORDES OF ZOMBIES WILL CONTINUE TO FILL THE THREADS AND TALK
ABOUT THIS FOR AT LEAST THE NEXT 12-18 HOURS. ISOLATED TO SCATTERED 
TALK OF BUST WILL CONTINUE FOR YEARS. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...SHELTER IN PLACE. PLAN ON IMPOSSIBLE READING CONDITIONS,
MAINLY NOW THROUGH THE END OF TRACKING SEASON. BE PREPARED FOR CATASTROPHIC REDUCTIONS
IN RATIONAL POSTS, OPTIMISM, AND JOY. INDIVIDUALS JUMPING OR CANCELING THE STORM/WINTER
ARE ASKED TO SELF REPORT THEIR REAPING HERE: 

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... THIS PUBLIC EMERGENCY MESSAGE MEANS THAT A LEVEL V SUBFORUM MELTDOWN
IS UNDERWAY.

-UNPARALLELED WAILING AND GNASHING OF TEETH
-OUT OF CONTROL FEEDBACK LOOP OF PANIC
-WAR BETWEEN POSTERS
-EXTREMELY RAPID DESTRUCTION OF ALL SOCIAL ORDER AND SANITY

THESE CONDITIONS WILL MAKE READING AND POSTING IMPOSSIBLE. IF
YOU MUST READ OR POST, KEEP MULTIPLE HANDLES OF HARD LIQUOR AND A WEAPON
ON YOUR PERSON, AND FOOD AND WATER NEARBY IN CASE YOU GET SO WRAPPED UP IN
INTERNET DEBATE THAT YOU FORGET TO GO TO THE KITCHEN TO FEED YOURSELF.

I WOULD END BY SAYING GODSPEED BUT EVEN GOD ALMIGHTY CANNOT HELP US NOW. && $$

1049264764.jpg

This. I slept through The Panic.

I got one hell of a good belly laugh.

Damn that's good wxwatcher007. Thats gonna be tough to top.

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

This. I slept through The Panic.

I got one hell of a good belly laugh.

Damn that's good wxwatcher007. Thats gonna be tough to top.

I should've. Decided to wait until the radar looked like it was gonna fill in (4 am), and then set an alarm on my phone for 7:30 am to experience the morning snows. Instead, I set it for 7:30 PM. Still, I got to enjoy some of the moderate-heavy at times snow at noon. Got 0.5" in 30 minutes at peak March sun!

So essentially, central MD (my yard) and down to DC (basically the corridor, except for maybe Cecil county) got screwed by both wave 1 AND wave 2 (at least partially)...Too far east for wave 1, two far west for the developing coastal part of wave 2...We were fortunate to get 4 inches, smh

If anyone in the entire country deserves snow next year...it's us, lol BUT, I am glad we got at least something out of it.

8 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So essentially, central MD (my yard) and down to DC (basically the corridor, except for maybe Cecil county) got screwed by both wave 1 AND wave 2 (at least partially)...Too far east for wave 1, two far west for the developing coastal part of wave 2...We were fortunate to get 4 inches, smh

If anyone in the entire country deserves snow next year...it's us, lol BUT, I am glad we got at least something out of it.

So, I thought I got 4 because I measured on grass. Turns out that's wrong. I got 2.9", confirmed by the two closest spotters. Gaithersburg got majorly screwed.

1 minute ago, supernovasky said:

So, I thought I got 4 because I measured on grass. Turns out that's wrong. I got 2.9", confirmed by the two closest spotters.

See Reaper: I call Foul on Nova's snow. He should have gotten 4 inches. I punt the winter and you have GOT to get back on the Job.

J/K

2 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

Who are you passing your scythe on to, anyway?

Reaper, Give it to H2O. He'd make an excellent Reaper.

Man oh man, WxWatcher stepping down from The Reaper, that's the End of an Era. Man I'll be Bummed for Eternity

Getting no snow in my backyard, I can take. No WxWatcher as The Reaper, I dont know what I'll do.

Archived