Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 20-21 Storm Banter and Party Thread

WxUSAF

@Bob Chill

PCM replaced and it wasn't the problem. As I suspected, they now think its a valve issue, so the head comes off tomorrow. They claim they followed the troubleshooting tree correctly, so whatever. All covered by warranty so I dont care. Its all good.

eta- A valve problem, ie seat, makes no sense either, although thats what he tried to claim it may be today. They did a compression and leak down test on that cyl, and it passed. Both valves must be seating, and no pressure leaking past the piston rings either. This will be interesting. I think it ends up a camshaft/spring/lifter issue. There is some mechanism for variable timing, so if there is something wrong with the cam(or something related) it might not manifest unless the engine is running, under load, and at higher RPM- and thats exactly when I could feel it and when the trouble light came on.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jandurin said:
2 minutes ago, mattie g said:
This wasn’t really worth it when all was said and done. Bring on spring. Please.

What does that even mean

Sorry...that was kind of Stormchaser Chuck-like.

What I meant was that this storm really wasn’t worth it. I’d so much rather it be warm and sunny than get a late-March storm that can’t accumulate unless there’s crazy rates.

I mean...late March snow is always a bonus, and I guess we should be thankful for seeing any at all, but...given the season...thought the entire forum was deserving of more than this...and it was so close to being good. Again, it's fine for late March...and would feel even better had the rest of the winter hadn't been what it has been. 

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Let’s be real. Crossed wires or hackers or STORM MODE shutting this site down was almost the best thing to happen today. This place was literally and figuratively unreadable at times for like the last 18 hours. 

It wasn’t even the normal funny panic or randomness or isolated troll we do/see. It was out and out misery.

I can only use myself as a barometer and I think I’m honestly not bothered by much in life, but I wanted to quit the board. In the years I’ve been here, I’ve only felt it this season and it’s happened multiple times.

It’s a shame and I guess I’m whining at this point but I genuinely love this place and the people in it and this season has made me seriously reevaluate how I allocate my time going forward. 

If an HECS is the only thing that can bring us together and make us happy for ourselves and one another there’s no point being here. 

Agree with this!  I checked things out yesterday evening and it devolved into tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth as the 00Z model cycle rolled in.  There were a few islands of sanity with the analysis and cooler/more level heads, but by late evening I had enough and said "screw it, I'll just see what happens tomorrow!"  Was it a tad worrying to see 00Z come in with reduced totals and moving things a bit more northeast?  Yeah, kinda...but I kept that bit of concern to myself rather than clutter the model discussion with crap.  And was it a little disappointing we didn't get more on the upper end of what "could have been" (and I'm not talking about the ultra crazy Euro or NAM 15-20" amounts in DC!)?  Perhaps a little.  But hell, it was still a solid 4-8" amount through the area.  I got 5" where I'm at...during the day, and during the 3rd week of March.  Not bad!!  It's easily the best event I've had since the 2016 blizzard, and more fun than the sleet-fest last March.  Not to mention, it was absolutely beautiful, and I could finally get out and take numerous photos (which I hope to post at some point in the upcoming days)!

16 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Let’s be real. Crossed wires or hackers or STORM MODE shutting this site down was almost the best thing to happen today. This place was literally and figuratively unreadable at times for like the last 18 hours. 

It wasn’t even the normal funny panic or randomness or isolated troll we do/see. It was out and out misery.

I can only use myself as a barometer and I think I’m honestly not bothered by much in life, but I wanted to quit the board. In the years I’ve been here, I’ve only felt it this season and it’s happened multiple times.

It’s a shame and I guess I’m whining at this point but I genuinely love this place and the people in it and this season has made me seriously reevaluate how I allocate my time going forward. 

If an HECS is the only thing that can bring us together and make us happy for ourselves and one another there’s no point being here. 

Early this morning the models apparently went south. This was at about 1230am. I was too busy enjoying the radar to notice much lol. But then there got to be so many debbie downers that I finally decided to go to bed, see what happened later this morning. That short range model topic was like a sewer, the place was being RUN by certified debbie downers! Before leaving though, I tried to get ppl to give the storm a chance, lol. I dont think half the subforum gets that 1960s reference (All I am saying, Is give Peace a chance), but it really wasn't working so then I went to bed. I figured the storm would gel when it wanted to, and sure enough, it DID later this morning.

1 minute ago, Jebman said:

Early this morning the models apparently went south. This was at about 1230am. I was too busy enjoying the radar to notice much lol. But then there got to be so many debbie downers that I finally decided to go to bed, see what happened later this morning. That short range model topic was like a sewer, the place was being RUN by certified debbie downers! Before leaving though, I tried to get ppl to give the storm a chance, lol. I dont think half the subforum gets that 1960s reference (All I am saying, Is give Peace a chance), but it really wasn't working so then I went to bed. I figured the storm would gel when it wanted to, and sure enough, it DID later this morning.

It gelled for some...but for those it didn't? Writing was kind of on the wall. I personally didn't start to "jump off" until I saw the GFS and EURO cut back...still had hope though. And even once things got going this morning, was feeling pretty good...unitl it just kind fizzled and staggered it's way through after 2 pm...could've been so much more!

I got about 4.5 inches on the grass and a ton of good snow to watch all day. I also got roped into shoveling for my neighbors. They were waiting for me as I went out to dig out my car after that damn PLOW plowed me in but good.

I got a nice workout, lol. This was an excellent March snowstorm. I have NO complaints at all. Now I have nearly ten inches on the season. I hope they get buried by snow farther northeast and that they enjoy it to the max.

23 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've been a long time lurker of this site and generally don't pay attention to overly emotional posts about snow. Sometimes it borders on ridiculous, true...and some folks just whine for the sake of it. They never have enough snow. What do they do with the extra few inches? (lol) Is it really going to make that much difference in your mood just to 'see' an extra few inches lying around? Never mind that massive snow gets a bit 'ugly' after a few days unless its on a hill or the woods. But I love taking pics of any snowfall that coats and covers the world in white. I can't always tell when folks are joking or tongue in cheek, but hopefully nobody is so unstable that they can't function based on snowfall. I usually LOVE snow but after a winter of extreme cold causing damaged gutters, burst pipes, backups, and a burned out sump it's kind of cooled my enthusiasm this year. Still hoping for one last hurrah, though.

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

apparently some nerd hackers invaded the site...I'm scurred...should I send them my social security number and bank account so they will leave us alone? I'm changing the locks on my door

That won't work. I am moving away --- to Westminster, MD. I heard its a good place to settle down.

I feel content with this storm. Only thing that made this storm less enjoyable is that our German Shepherd wasn't able to play in the snow due to having a tumor in his foot being removed about a week or 2 ago, and him risking infection if he played outside. He's like the dog equivalent of a snow weenie. Always waits outside my door when he knows its snowing. 

Here's to next year! Hopefully this event is the start of a nice streak of some good winters! Maybe just like March 2013?

59 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

I used to be a fixture here all year, in storm threads and in banter threads.  I am the person behind "read more/post less" and i was a merciless weenie hunter--just ask Kenny, LOL.  but now it's a psych ward and it's annoying as **** to be around adults who prefer to wallow in deliberate ignorance.

Lord. Don't remind me. Biggest online dressing down I ever got. But I took it to heart.

That wasn't even for SNOW weenie behavior...it was for severe weather IIRC. Oh the person I've become. 

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s. Just. F’ing. Weather.

Thank God Fairfax county closed school tomorrow. They were only able to get to my car-de-sac once today, even though that ended up with my street being completely clear since 2:00. God forbid the streets were actually snow-covered.
For once I agree with your stance on these school closings

Like, 2 hour delay would more than suffice to ensure no ice

Archived